MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3U RingMod build: parts query ferrite bead and2u2 uf el cap
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author 3U RingMod build: parts query ferrite bead and2u2 uf el cap
Pav
Hi, (3rd post to MW)

Im a newbie to ferrite beads -Mouser UK provided me with
what looks like a "staple with two small beads" instead of an axial single bead s per picture .. looks like
__
| | and not ---X--- as expected, Ok to use these at L1, L2 ?
x x
| |

Secondly i found 2.2uf 25v electrolytic only as tantalums for c4,17,13,14 at Mouser but seeing the photo in the build guide, having second thoughts.
Now I used tantalums on vca back in the early 80s, building a Maplin5000s (still have it), and know they are electrically substitutable, but when it comes to the audio quality, I seek your wisdom. Back then i didnt know any better, just happy to hear it working.

Looking forward to completing the Oakley 3U vca and ringmod -both work in progress.

Thanks in advance.
Synthbuilder
Pav wrote:
Ok to use these at L1, L2 ?

If they fit on the board they'll do their job just as well as the axial versions.

Pav wrote:
Secondly i found 2.2uf 25v electrolytic only as tantalums for c4,17,13,14 at Mouser but seeing the photo in the build guide

Personally I wouldn't use tants in C13 and C14 - in which they are connected across the supply rail. They'll work just fine but they do have a tendency to go pop if they ever get a voltage surge. They'll be perfect in C4 and C17 however because the current is limited and the voltage low.

Audio quality is unaffected by your choice of capacitor in any of these locations. So it is cheaper and just as good to get 25V electrolytic devices in all four locations.

Tony
Pav
Thanks Tony.
Good advice and a reminder to me to review schematics before posting very frustrating

issue 2 parts list for 3u classic vca has 63v 2u2 Elec for its supply rail caps C5,C6.

whilst the parts list issue 3E 3u Ring Mod has 25v 2u2 Elec for its C13 C14 supply rail caps.

Im concluding there is voltage rating flexibility in the supply rail use case but not in the C4 C17 use case.
Synthbuilder
Pav wrote:
Im concluding there is voltage rating flexibility in the supply rail use case but not in the C4 C17 use case.

Generally you can ignore the voltage rating so long as it's 25V and over, and device isn't too big as to fit in the PCB. Don't take the parts list value as being the only value you need. I tend to pick the minimum voltage you should have which will ensure it won't blow up.

So you could use 2u2 25V devices in all four positions. The problem is getting hold of a 25V part since 2u2 electrolytic capacitors tend to be easily available only in 50V, 63V and above. I generally buy 2u2 63V devices since that's the most common part, fits on the board and works well.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1