Intellijel 4U power issue

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Intellijel 4U power issue

Post by Diabolik! » Thu May 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi, i'm trying to figure out a power issue with my intellijel 4U case. I just received an Atlantis, and it will not work with this case.

When i plug the atlantis into my intellijel case, it is unresponsive and i no sound from the outputs. The envelope LED is lit solid green and pressing the gate key does nothing. I tried unplugging all of my modules, and get no change. I plugged the atlantis into my makenoise case, and everythkng seemed to work ok.

I also just received a 1 u output module. When i plug into my mixer, i just get a steady level of volume. The volume knob isnt doing anything, its just passing the sound straight through.

When I plug both of these modules into my Make Noise case, everything works fine. The case worked perfectly up until I installed the Atlantis and the 1U output and 1U USB modules. I've never plugged anything in backwards, never gigged with the case, etc.

Any ideas?

shredsickgnar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shredsickgnar » Thu May 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Have you contacted Intellijel? That would be the best place to start. I know they are a small operation, but should get back to you in just a few days.
https://soundcloud.com/advancedelectric
Latest Ambient youtube performance vid::
https://youtu.be/xfWiDTkIyKo
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=695091456 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Thu May 12, 2016 6:40 pm

I have; haven't found a solution and I have a gig coming up, so I'm looking for advice from the tribe.

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Thu May 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Since they are cozy cases, you might want to make sure the ribbons aren't touching some of the connectors. I have the 42hp case and the connectors don't have frames. Maybe tape the ribbon to the side?

moegl
Common Wiggler

Post by moegl » Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 am

I had all sorts of weird issues with my intellijel psu because the recommended meanwell brick was not grounded (this is even confirmed by intellijel). after a lot of troubleshooting other members suggested to check out a Volgen brick which is grounded and that solved all of my problems.

I don't know if this is related to your problem at all, but could be good to check out if your meanwellbrick is properly grounded, so you can exclude that from your troubleshooting.

AND
I am really in favor of bringing these issues up in the forum and not only having a one-on-one with the company! it's good to know if other people have the same problem, and share troubleshooting/workarounds/solutions. If I'd only relied on the response/solution from the companies, then I would never have solved some of my problems.

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Fri May 13, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks for the advice you all. I'm not trying to be a pain by bringing this to the forum, just trying to get my gear working. My whole setup is in disarray and i'd like to get everything back in order and functional.

I've tried it with the brick from my makenoise case. no change.

also checked the cables. when i pull the module out of the case, with the cable not touching anything, no change.

When i got the case, the power supply was wired backwards. could this have damaged something? Only other thing i can think of is I recently installed a 1U USB module. could that have damaged something as well? (powered my Streichfett from the 1U no problem, but tried to charge my phone and it would not work).

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Fri May 13, 2016 3:21 pm

Also when plugging my DPO into the 4U, i get some of the lights working, but also unresponsive and no sound. No light from the FM and Mod bus Leds.

Strangely, my Stillson Hammer MK2 works fine?

I've also tried each module with nothing else plugged in, and no change.

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Summa » Fri May 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Diabolik! wrote:er supply was wired backwards. could this have damaged something?
Please expand on this, could you give us some more info regarding the backwards wiring? Seems VERY odd to me.

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Fri May 13, 2016 3:44 pm

the positive and negative wires for the power input were switched on the terminals of the busboard when i received it. (positive to negative/negative to positive. when turning on i would get a brief flash from the busboard leds, then no power). They had me switch them back to normal, and the case worked fine after. (until now)

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Has anyone has issues with their Intellijel PS boards shorting against their Intellijel cases?? Just got a 42hp 4u and I thought the PS was dead (-12 wasn't lighting) until I loosened up the nylon nuts. It's working now but it kinda left me worried.

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:17 pm

colossus wrote:Has anyone has issues with their Intellijel PS boards shorting against their Intellijel cases?? Just got a 42hp 4u and I thought the PS was dead (-12 wasn't lighting) until I loosened up the nylon nuts. It's working now but it kinda left me worried.
We did a limited amount of 42hp cases a year ago and at the time the person who assembled them put the wrong size spacers on the bottom of the PSU (and then boxed them before our secondary person tested them)

We thought we had tracked down all the units for which this happened but there may have been a few that got to dealers before we noticed.
The solution is to unscrew the PSU and put slight thicker plastic washers underneath. We can definitely send these to you if needed, just contact support@intellijel.com

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Diabolik! wrote:...the case worked fine after. (until now)
The Germans have a word for this condition .....

Fuckenbroken.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Return to “Eurorack Modules”