MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synthi speaker mute switches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Synthi speaker mute switches
Robbot
This is probably glaring obvious, but I've not got my head around it quite yet!
The synthi has two built in speakers with (a) under the left a two position switch - mute/ channel 1 but (b) under the right speaker a three way switch labelled mute / env / channel 2.

I get that the mute switch kills the sound from a speaker when a channel is assigned to it, but would be very grateful for your help as to what the "env" switch does and how it works? And why does it just seem to work on the right speaker only (if that is the case)?

I wondered whether putting the switch in the "env" position allowed the envelope to trigger the right speaker on and off, but that didn't work (on the synthi I was using anyway) and that strikes me as a fairly esoteric function to have anyway...!
chamomileshark
you know, I hadn't noticed that. I just set them to "Mute" and didn't look further. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the VCS3 manual either - it just talks about mute on or off. Maybe it's because I think the manual is for a Mark 1?

I'll be interested to see the answer
chamomileshark
I found this

"S&H is fed into the output 2 row and the right speaker switch is set to env. this triggers the envelope from the voltage coming into output 2"

https://soundcloud.com/dan_p/16m18s-of-naked-synthi
richard
outout 2 is repurposed as a trigger input for the envelope when that swtch is in env position?

that would be a pretty strange mod???
Robbot
Thanks Chamomileshark and Richard - that is some food for thought indeed. I'm looking forward to experimenting further over the weekend.
Strange that it is not mentioned in the manual!
synchro1
Yes, it acts as a threshold detector for anything coming in on mic or line input #2 and triggers the envelope cycle. It was discussed in the original EMS Synthi AKS US educational handbook back when I worked at EMSA in the mid-70s but my copy is still in a packing box right now. When I find it, I'll scan and post someday.
chamomileshark
richard wrote:
outout 2 is repurposed as a trigger input for the envelope when that swtch is in env position?

Richard, it's not a mod - it's on my new VCS3.

Actually it looks quite interesting for processing audio.
papz
With this switch in "env" position, the signal patched into output ch2 will trigger the envelope indeed.

This feature came as a standard with the commonly named MK2 units, in relation with the output channel reinjection on matrix lines 1 and 2 in place of the MK1's separate waveforms outputs of osc1 and 2.
richard
yup its on my new one as well, picked up today. It is like a secret feature I didn't even know about but Robin just showed me how it works
bsilverberg
Sorry for the necro-bump, but I've wired this in my build according to the schematic, yet I'm unclear where the PB2 connection goes? Based on the info that the Env position uses input channel 2 as a trigger, where would I connect the wire that the schematic calls 'PB2'. All I see is that PB2 is the OSC1 Ramp, is that right?
sanders
You wanna connect the wire to the horizontal row PB2, aka "Output 2". The env trigger detector is not accessed from the line input 2 jack as mentioned above, but rather, from Control Output 2 jack. You can adjust the threshold of the trigger detector by adjusting Output 2 level.

It's not a strange feature at all, it's extremely useful for sound processing. The only thing that's a little strange about it is that it's not real clearly marked on the front panel, and if you haven't read the manual, you'd never know what the 'env' switch setting is for.

Incidentally, I'm able to get a trigger Output from the envelope by patching Trapezoid to the scope Output. You can patch it to any Output of course, but, it's kind of nice to be able to use the scope out as a dedicated trigger out (plus you can watch the trigger Voltage swing on the scope as it's output). I use it to step through sequencer voltages on a Korg SQ1, or S/H on an Arp Odyssey (via the gate input) in time with the envelope cycle.
ExtrasensoryPerception
richard wrote:

It’s not a mod. It’s been there since MkII synthi and VCS3 were introduced in the 70s.
Graham Hinton
ExtrasensoryPerception wrote:
It’s been there since MkII synthi and VCS3 were introduced in the 70s.

That's right and some people have had one since then, never realised what that switch did and thought it needed a repair when they accidentally knocked it in that position.

Do not patch the Env Signal output to Output Ch2 or it will latch permanently on when triggered by itself.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1