MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Music Easel MIDI
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla Music Easel MIDI
sharema
Hi there,

sorry to write again on this subject, but i can't get my Easel working with midi. From what i understand it should keep midi clock OR midi notes, so my first check was to use Ablton Live to send ONLY midi clock to the Easel. But the result is that nothing happens and the arpeggiator follows its own tempo setting.

The same for the notes, no reaction from the Easel.

Am I missing something? I found no manuals or official explanations about it..
vgermuse
You might check out this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160442

Some Easels had the little two-wire midi cable reversed. Open the keyboard and simply reverse ONE of the ends. See video here:

https://www.hightail.com/download/cUJVUGhYTkFlM1RyZHNUQw

cheers!
sharema
Hi Todd,

thanks for your service. In the next days i will try it and let you know!
paranoidmoonduck
You may already know this, but Ableton will only send MIDI sync while playing. If you haven't tried it yet, hit play and then check how the arpeggiator is reacting.
Cobramatic
Also remember that the Arp knob can divide / multiply the clock rate.
Double check you have it on at an expected setting (probably to the left to get 16th notes?)
TweakerRay
Hi ! I don't know if you have fixed the problem yet. I had better luck with pulling out the cables on one of the plastic connectors and reversing them and then putting it back together...
if you try to just reverse the cable with that plastic it might not fit well or even break. if you have a pair small tweezers you can easily pull out the cable out of its white plastic housing of the connector and then reverse them. That was working on my easel.
vgermuse
TweakerRay wrote:
Hi ! I don't know if you have fixed the problem yet. I had better luck with pulling out the cables on one of the plastic connectors and reversing them and then putting it back together...
if you try to just reverse the cable with that plastic it might not fit well or even break. if you have a pair small tweezers you can easily pull out the cable out of its white plastic housing of the connector and then reverse them. That was working on my easel.

thumbs up
TweakerRay
So does your midi work now ? I would be interested to know if another machine has twisted wires... hmmm.....
sharema
About the Ableton sync, yes i know i have to "play" it to have the clock sending, to be sure in my test i had another machine receiving midi properly from the same signal (i use a midi solutions quadra thru).

I know also about the rate knob on the easel that sets divide/multiply, again to be sure i tried sending notes to the buchla instead of clock but no reaction..

Probably i am going to try the cable inversion in a couple of hours, i'l let you know.

Thanks for all the answers!
sharema
Hey,

the midi works! So it really was the twisted wires..

Thanks Todd and thanks Tweaker, i did the reversing method. we're not worthy
TweakerRay
Great ! I think they should put that into the manual... "If midi doesen't work - check the cables and reverse..." OR BETTER a FAQ on their page...
meh

But good that it works now... I just wonder how many more have this "problem" - The shop where I purchased it had 10 units with that problem... mine and yours make 12 now eek!
bcomnes
Can someone put up a picture or two? Or describe the cable placement? That might save a lot of folks some time with documentation on the right and wrong ways to attach it....or is it simply trial and error?
bcomnes
well duhhhhhhhhh....Todd's hightail video makes it plain as day....
Andy3000
Same here...twisted the wires, and the midi works.
Sync from Ableton also works...but arpeggiated/divider is very fast.
Sync from Logic is ok.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1