new moog euro modules (and model d reissue!)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

enj_music
Veteran Wiggler

Post by enj_music » Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 am

The reverb module could easily be 6HP smaller and lose no playability

geecen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by geecen » Thu May 19, 2016 11:13 am

gruvsyco wrote:The modules are a start. I would love to see Moog jump into euro with some modern takes on their vintage stuff. Maybe a ladder filter with selectable poles and Multidrive. A continuously variable waveform oscillator (or whatever they call it) with individual wave outs too. Maybe a new CP3 style mixer with the feedback from the Phattys. Loopable envelopes/LFOs. Maybe a variation on the oscillator in Animoog/Theremini.
AJH Synth have pretty much done it already, adn apparently (I've not played them personally) they sound great and true.

quadrupole
Common Wiggler

Post by quadrupole » Thu May 19, 2016 11:42 am

moegl wrote:I really hope the reverb gets more compact before release! all that empty space makes me itch. if they want to keep it big, they should definitely fit some CVs with attenuverters.
Perhaps the "geospatial" in its name refers to the fact that the module itself is about half the size of Canada.

Seriously though, I'd love to hear it!

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu May 19, 2016 1:48 pm

I missed out on the Engineering ticket for Moogfest. Had to clear my schedule and make sure I could get down to Durham that week. By time things were golden, the Engineering track sold out. Lesson learned. Buy Moog tickets first, ask for permission later...

Bummed, cause I'd have given so much love to that Brother... from another mother... Not to mention, I'm sure the process of building, and learning the inner-working, would have been incredible.

Kicking myself right now. :bang:

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Thu May 19, 2016 2:10 pm

gruvsyco wrote:The modules are a start. I would love to see Moog jump into euro with some modern takes on their vintage stuff. Maybe a ladder filter with selectable poles and Multidrive. A continuously variable waveform oscillator (or whatever they call it) with individual wave outs too. Maybe a new CP3 style mixer with the feedback from the Phattys. Loopable envelopes/LFOs. Maybe a variation on the oscillator in Animoog/Theremini.
I'd be surprised if they made any major design changes. I'm surprised they made anything Euro at all. They could cram all their existing circuits in to Euro modules and make a killing without adding any new features.

But I'm with you, it will be a lot cooler if they do. Let those Moog engineers get a little more experimental on the Euro. It does, after all, seem like the format that embraces the strange.

vathan
Common Wiggler

Post by vathan » Thu May 19, 2016 2:20 pm

There seems to be a lot of speculation regarding the new moog euro stuff, but nothing concrete.

Anyone been able to find out for sure what will be available? Are any of these for release, or are they just for the art project / engineering track?

NekoNeko
Common Wiggler

Post by NekoNeko » Thu May 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Excited for these if they do appear commercially. lets hope so. Perhaps not the most streamlined panel wise.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Thu May 19, 2016 3:10 pm

Can someone build a time machine, so we can get info on these puppies even sooner.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Thu May 19, 2016 3:44 pm

enj_music wrote:The reverb module could easily be 6HP smaller and lose no playability
Yeah, the amount of blank space on the panel is nuts.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Thu May 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Have Moog released any indication of how Mother 32 has done saleswise? To judge from the posts on MF, I would assume they've done pretty well, but who knows how that tracks with the rest of the world.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu May 19, 2016 3:59 pm

From what I see, the modules don't look like commercial products. The reverb module looks like it's designed to do one thing. The sampler looks a little more interesting, but compared to other Euro samplers under development, it's still basic. It seems like Moog would do something unique when they release their Euro modules--the Mother 32 sure fits that bill.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Trebbers wrote:Have Moog released any indication of how Mother 32 has done saleswise? To judge from the posts on MF, I would assume they've done pretty well, but who knows how that tracks with the rest of the world.
SN #3708 was spotted in Japan in late March, so I'd guess we're somewhere around 4500 sold by now.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Thu May 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Zymos wrote:
DonaldCrunk wrote:the inevitable minimoog reissue is cool, but i am indeed curious about those eurorack modules. are these production modules or part of the 'art project'?
According to Synthtopia , the latter:
"Our contact at Moog said that the Geodesic Sampler and the Geospatial Reverb are project-specific modules. No plans have been announced to release them commercially"
i dont get why Moog do this - well to sell tickets to Moogfest i guess...i mean the Model D is apparently only available as kit for assembly on the day..
which is great i guess
But to suggest theyre just gonna do the Model d and the sampler/Verb for the festival is silly - of course theyre gonna release em...eventually
look up!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu May 19, 2016 4:19 pm

When I first saw the press release, I read it as there was only going to be the pop-up Model D factory, and that was it. But I don't think they are actually saying that they will not be selling the Model D later, just that they are making a limited number at Moogfest.
The modules may well be a different situation, since they were designed for a specific project. But if demand is high, I don't know why they wouldn't want to sell them to the general public.

j_p_higgins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by j_p_higgins » Thu May 19, 2016 4:36 pm

RE the size of the reverb panel, can't help but feel that it's just that size because having it the same hp as the sampler made it easier to construct a world map out of them.

gruvsyco
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gruvsyco » Thu May 19, 2016 9:43 pm

geecen wrote:
AJH Synth have pretty much done it already, adn apparently (I've not played them personally) they sound great and true.
AJH did a conversion of the Minimoog to Euro. Totally not what I suggested above at all. Neither did I suggest Euro version of the Moog Modular like Aion is doing.

What I did propose is them modularizing (in euro) some of the tech from the Phattys and Animoog.

krisamadhi
Common Wiggler

Post by krisamadhi » Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Trebbers wrote:Have Moog released any indication of how Mother 32 has done saleswise? To judge from the posts on MF, I would assume they've done pretty well, but who knows how that tracks with the rest of the world.
I think around 6000 to 8000 units last I heard.
---
Kri Samadhi
Releases
http://www.krisamadhi.com

Snail
Common Wiggler

Post by Snail » Thu May 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Played with these today. The reverb worked well in the project but doubt it would do well commercially, but BFAM looks really interesting... Seems to have a lot more functionality than needed for the global modular project, so I hope it's released as an independent product soon. It looks very much like it is made to be.

EDIT: Wait, I just realized -- the BFAM is what the Engineering Ticket holders are building!?!?! And it won't be for public sale?
I am really bummed out now that those tickets sold out so fast. :bang:

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Thu May 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Seeing it full... Eh I dunno. You get the awesome Berlin School-esque sequencer and a full ADSR but it ditches the LFO and cross-fader. It'd be a cool extension to Mom but it's clearly wider so it won't fit in their 60HP stands.

No high pass either but the HPF on Mom isn't all that great so eh.

Kinda fun an odd beast and it makes me lean towards a Dark Time again tbh.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri May 20, 2016 5:27 am

If they release it for only the attendees, I'll be going next year with a couple grand in pocket.

IstvanM
Common Wiggler

Post by IstvanM » Fri May 20, 2016 7:59 am

Interested to see if they make that reverb module a production piece

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 am

hawkfuzz wrote:If they release it for only the attendees, I'll be going next year with a couple grand in pocket.
Didn't I read a year or two ago that Moogfest was having some financial difficulties?

Mission Accomplished!

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri May 20, 2016 9:12 am

dumbledog wrote:
Seeing it full... Eh I dunno. You get the awesome Berlin School-esque sequencer and a full ADSR but it ditches the LFO and cross-fader. It'd be a cool extension to Mom but it's clearly wider so it won't fit in their 60HP stands.

No high pass either but the HPF on Mom isn't all that great so eh.

Kinda fun an odd beast and it makes me lean towards a Dark Time again tbh.
I find the lack of LFO...disturbing. :vader: Pretty sure it's 60HP--you're seeing a blank panel at the left. Still think it would be a cool addition to the Mother 32.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri May 20, 2016 9:54 am

hawkfuzz wrote:If they release it for only the attendees, I'll be going next year with a couple grand in pocket.
My thoughts exactly. I work for a company in Raleigh, as well, so it would have been a great excuse to go into the corporate HQ for a week ;) Dang it, I really screwed up this year.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Fri May 20, 2016 10:10 am

Looking forward to seeing more of it. Not a lot to add but chiming in to follow the thread as any information, sound, video etc comes up.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Return to “Eurorack Modules”