MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ondes Martenot
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ondes Martenot
theremin
Japanese Ondes Martenot start production.
Production venture, "Asakusa Denshi Gakki Seisakujyo"
Manufacturer, Mr.Naoyuki Omo
About 3000 dollars



digitalganesha
What??? Wow! Is there more information available?
theremin
When there is a question, I inform Mr. N.Omo.

Video - Radiohead tribute band
https://www.facebook.com/OAS.RADIOHEADtributeband/videos/8399478561392 52/


Hainbach
Wow! Will there be a european distribution? Any plans on creating the speaker sets, too?
theremin
The overseas shipping off will be also possible.
I'll ask him.

I saw a prototype for a speaker.


current spec
Built-in loudspeaker.
20W power amplifier.
4 audiio output.


myecholalia
oh my, this is really unexpected.
following with interest.
digitalganesha
Well for starters... Are these available now? Is the sound being generated by digital or analog circuitry? Where can I purchase one? Will they be available/shipped to the USA?
theremin
Carci
Oh wow,
Didn't see that coming.

Does it have CV outs ?
theremin
No MIDI/USB , No CV/GATE.
Traditional sound. Classical play method.
Carci
theremin wrote:
No MIDI/USB , No CV/GATE.
Traditional sound. Classical play method.


Dommage !
d'oh!

How many of these are being made ?
Wray
To what degree are they original?
The first Ondes were with tubes.
Till now there's only one true manufacturer (albeit not tube but discrete) and they cost 11600 euro.
Wonder why these are only 3000.

http://www.thomasbloch.net/new_ondes_martenot
Carci
Martenot also did ondes with no tubes in it.

I don't really care how the sound is made as long as it sounds ok...

The keyboard is only 4 octaves on this japanese version and it seems the keys are quite big compared to the original (I might be wrong, it's just my feeling as I look at the photos and videos). Key size is actually one of the reasons why the Oliva's "ondea" and Dierstein new Martenot are expensive. It's custom made.
theremin
This Martenot of Mr.Omo are mass production.
Mainly, education and pop/rock/jazz band. And it would be used for a composer.
It's in his atelier abundantly. If you'd like to get this quickly, go to Tokyo.

Tube Martenot is receipt of order.
But, it would require a huge cost ! long time ! Unrealistic.
MATSmile
Is there slight possibility that future revisions might have CV and gate outs?
Wray
Carci wrote:

I don't really care how the sound is made as long as it sounds ok...


These two things however, are inseparable.
Wray
theremin wrote:
This Martenot of Mr.Omo are mass production.
Mainly, education and pop/rock/jazz band. And it would be used for a composer.
It's in his atelier abundantly. If you'd like to get this quickly, go to Tokyo.

Tube Martenot is receipt of order.
But, it would require a huge cost ! long time ! Unrealistic.


I'm still interested how they compare to the original Ondes.
Are there pictures of the inside?
theremin
I don't have inside pic.

Mr. Omo said. 45 have been completed.
beyourdog
Thank you very much, this is an amazing achievement. I would be personally honored to come in person to Tokyo in 6 months to buy one.

This is a fantastic musical instrument, I especially enjoy this piece of music:

Wray
beyourdog wrote:
Thank you very much, this is an amazing achievement. I would be personally honored to come in person to Tokyo in 6 months to buy one.

This is a fantastic musical instrument, I especially enjoy this piece of music:



Hi Beyouydog,

I agree, this is a wonderful piece. Messiaen is the ultimate master in composing music for The Ondes Martenot. The musicians who perform his music are excellent and the Ondes are magnificent.

This is also where my criticism lies concerning this new Ondes.
The performances of the musicians in the vids for this new Ondes are mediocre at best. False even. To being able to play an Ondes takes years of study. It's by far not an easy instrument. Than about the sound of it. When you only compare the two vids of the Messiaen Ondes and this Japanese version, the difference is there for everybody to hear, very clearly. And I don't think it's because it's recorded with an iphone or such.
The Messiaen Ondes has clearly much more depth. This can be because the components of the oscillatorcircuit(s) are much better. Further, the material used for resonating the sounds (the external boxes) can be of higher quality material. It seems to me a casio version of a real Ondes. Of course, I'm interested in seeing other vids which proof that I'm wrong. However, based on these vids, I would not expect being able to get the same amount of depth which can be achieved with a real Ondes Martenot used in classical music.
Carci
Wray wrote:
beyourdog wrote:
Thank you very much, this is an amazing achievement. I would be personally honored to come in person to Tokyo in 6 months to buy one.

This is a fantastic musical instrument, I especially enjoy this piece of music:



Hi Beyouydog,

I agree, this is a wonderful piece. Messiaen is the ultimate master in composing music for The Ondes Martenot. The musicians who perform his music are excellent and the Ondes are magnificent.

This is also where my criticism lies concerning this new Ondes.
The performances of the musicians in the vids for this new Ondes are mediocre at best. False even. To being able to play an Ondes takes years of study. It's by far not an easy instrument. Than about the sound of it. When you only compare the two vids of the Messiaen Ondes and this Japanese version, the difference is there for everybody to hear, very clearly. And I don't think it's because it's recorded with an iphone or such.
The Messiaen Ondes has clearly much more depth. This can be because the components of the oscillatorcircuit(s) are much better. Further, the material used for resonating the sounds (the external boxes) can be of higher quality material. It seems to me a casio version of a real Ondes. Of course, I'm interested in seeing other vids which proof that I'm wrong. However, based on these vids, I would not expect being able to get the same amount of depth which can be achieved with a real Ondes Martenot used in classical music.


I disagree. I don't think it sounds bad and I don't think you can judge based on these vids.
Have you ever tried a real Martenot ?
In my opinion, the oscs and waveforms are not what make the instrument interesting. I don't know why manufacturers waste their time, energy and money trying to reproduce the original waveforms.
To me the interest of the instrument lies in the expression possibilities, la touche, le clavier, la bague. And the speakers.
The timbre section is outdated and poor.

That said, props to M. Omo for making a new instrument that's rather affordable compared to other options. That can't be bad for the survival of the Martenot. I hope classes will open and students will learn how to play it.
I'd love to try one.
Wray
Carci wrote:


I disagree. I don't think it sounds bad and I don't think you can judge based on these vids.
Have you ever tried a real Martenot ?


I don't have to. I can hear it from these vids thusfar.
Besides, I already mentioned it takes years of serious practice to being able to play this instrument in an even acceptable way. But of course it depends on how high your standards are...

Carci wrote:

In my opinion, the oscs and waveforms are not what make the instrument interesting. I don't know why manufacturers waste their time, energy and money trying to reproduce the original waveforms.
To me the interest of the instrument lies in the expression possibilities, la touche, le clavier, la bague. And the speakers.
The timbre section is outdated and poor.


In that case you don't need an Ondes Martenot.
Or even this Japanese version. This is cheaper for you:
http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/Reviews/fconnection_review.htm
Or even this:
http://thekingofgear.com/post/96399039110/ondes-martenot-eurorack-lunc hbox
MATSmile
Wray wrote:
beyourdog wrote:
Thank you very much, this is an amazing achievement. I would be personally honored to come in person to Tokyo in 6 months to buy one.

This is a fantastic musical instrument, I especially enjoy this piece of music:



Hi Beyouydog,

I agree, this is a wonderful piece. Messiaen is the ultimate master in composing music for The Ondes Martenot. The musicians who perform his music are excellent and the Ondes are magnificent.

This is also where my criticism lies concerning this new Ondes.
The performances of the musicians in the vids for this new Ondes are mediocre at best. False even. To being able to play an Ondes takes years of study. It's by far not an easy instrument. Than about the sound of it. When you only compare the two vids of the Messiaen Ondes and this Japanese version, the difference is there for everybody to hear, very clearly. And I don't think it's because it's recorded with an iphone or such.
The Messiaen Ondes has clearly much more depth. This can be because the components of the oscillatorcircuit(s) are much better. Further, the material used for resonating the sounds (the external boxes) can be of higher quality material. It seems to me a casio version of a real Ondes. Of course, I'm interested in seeing other vids which proof that I'm wrong. However, based on these vids, I would not expect being able to get the same amount of depth which can be achieved with a real Ondes Martenot used in classical music.

you kids get off my lawn not this shit again
beyourdog
To be frank, whatever the skills of the people demonstrating it, I am interested into the INSTRUMENT to be able to play some of the Messiaen pieces, not a controller, but the instrument.

This new Martenot seems to fit the bill and is rather cheap compared to the rare few things out there...so all praises to bring back this instrument and provide more people with a capability to play and LEARN it.

The learning curve is hard indeed and with more instruments, more interest, more people will play it and bring more interest to Messiaen's music but as well create more pieces dedicated to this instrument. Then maybe other people would produce it, in anyway, it is a great step forward to bring back the Ondes Martenot to a broader public. So it is not maybe perfect but it is decently priced and would help people coming on board, a bit like when they were making these kind of small portable pianos you could fold...

Soundwise, well, nobody can really judge on videos, I am not really fussed about technicalities, I guess anybody with talent and a good sound device can make it sound the way they want...

Quick question: Does the keyboard / keys has the vibrato function?
Carci
Wray wrote:
Carci wrote:


I disagree. I don't think it sounds bad and I don't think you can judge based on these vids.
Have you ever tried a real Martenot ?


I don't have to. I can hear it from these vids thusfar.
Besides, I already mentioned it takes years of serious practice to being able to play this instrument in an even acceptable way. But of course it depends on how high your standards are...

Carci wrote:

In my opinion, the oscs and waveforms are not what make the instrument interesting. I don't know why manufacturers waste their time, energy and money trying to reproduce the original waveforms.
To me the interest of the instrument lies in the expression possibilities, la touche, le clavier, la bague. And the speakers.
The timbre section is outdated and poor.


In that case you don't need an Ondes Martenot.
Or even this Japanese version. This is cheaper for you:
http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/Reviews/fconnection_review.htm
Or even this:
http://thekingofgear.com/post/96399039110/ondes-martenot-eurorack-lunc hbox


Have you tried the french connection ?
I've tried it. Didn't like it at all.
It's very far from the Martenot in terms of expression capabilities. The keyboard has no vibrato. The keyboard is too big. La touche has no physical resistance.

If you've never played on a Martenot or the french connection, I find your judgements and advices are a bit irrelevant, sorry.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group