MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3x MIA – Mixer – Inverter – Attenuator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author 3x MIA – Mixer – Inverter – Attenuator
igorrr
Three months ago I was posting a video showing how 3xMIA plus 3xVCA can be used for panning between L and R channels. Here is the same approach used for crossfading between two sources (sine and sawtooth of the same oscillator in this example)

3xVCA gets sine to input 1 and sawtooth to input 2. Initial gains are set to the desired amount of these two signals being mixed in mid point. CV amounts are contrary set to the desired amount at fully crossfaded sides. 3xMIA generates +- 5 V, so when one section gets positive CV it increases its volume and decreases the volume of the other section, negative voltage makes the contrary crossfade. Upper switch is set to lower position, because we need both sections to be mixed. This final mixed sound is patched to the third section’s input for general purpose VCA.
Melody part of the video shows how crossfading between sine and sawtooth can be used to mimic Low Pass filter behavior. ADSR envelope is used for volume and FM amount and patched to 3xMIA’s B input (A input is unplugged and gives that +- 5V used for manual crossfade). There are still two sections of 3xMIA free for adding up to four more modulation sources to this patch, like:
LFO
pitch CV for the sound crossfading along the melody pitch
note velocity to crossfade to brighter sawttoth the harder the note is hit
mcpepe
I have just ordered one from SchneidersLaden (plus a 3xVCA), but they seem to not have them in stock.

Do you know when they will be again in stock?
igorrr
As soon as they will process the order. Everything is ready from my side. Can be at their store already next weekend.
Or you can order both modules from MIDI Amsterdam.
uebl
Is 3xMIA in stock anywhere in Europe right now? thumbs up
kanstraktar
From what I managed to find out, in my own quest to find one, it seems not.
igorrr
Sorry guys, looks like it was sold out almost at the same time by all distributors. And unfortunately my fresh supply of dual potentiometers was considerably delayed too, so I do not even know when I will be able to assemble more modules with dual knobs.
uebl
Thanks for letting us know!
poorness
After giving it a go, I decided the 3X MIA is a great module... but it's not for me. I love the design but I just can't get used to the bipolar/dual offset nature of it. I'd love it if it had a uni/bi switch (discussed earlier in the thread) or something similar, but it's just not doing what I want it to do.

All good though... that's why there are so many modules on the market... one size does not fit all. I'm sure its perfect for some folks. grin

Mine is currently listed on Reverb if anyone is interested. https://reverb.com/item/7063446-happy-nerding-3x-mia
starthief
poorness wrote:
Mine is currently listed on Reverb if anyone is interested. https://reverb.com/item/7063446-happy-nerding-3x-mia

Awww, I was going to snag that but someone else got there first. waah

Kind of thinking about replacing my S.P.O. with a second 3xMIA but it's not a high priority for me.
pugix
poorness wrote:
After giving it a go, I decided the 3X MIA is a great module... but it's not for me. I love the design but I just can't get used to the bipolar/dual offset nature of it. I'd love it if it had a uni/bi switch (discussed earlier in the thread) or something similar, but it's just not doing what I want it to do.

All good though... that's why there are so many modules on the market... one size does not fit all. I'm sure its perfect for some folks. grin

Yes, that is a drawback. But the overall features are powerful. There is no perfect module, as there is no perfect design. Compromises are entailed. However, if you have a large enough system, you can add a Shades, which does have the ability to attenuate to zero, or be bi-polar. But Shades can't attenuate and offset with only one channel. You have to use one for attenuation and another for offsetting. Also, mixing with Shades is built-in, which can be confusing sometimes. I like having both modules.
igorrr
poorness
I fully understand your position. But there was no point for me to just clone Triatt or Shades design. Anyway 3xMIA has two times more channels, so adding 6 more switches would be crazy idea for a 6 HP panel.
And just a reminder of the two recent 3xMIA videos, showing its simple use as a bipolar DC voltage source – hardly anybody would agree to have panning with a center at fully CCW position, plus the need to flip a switch to shift panning position. The same applies to the crossfade demo.

kanstraktar
any update on the availability in Europe? Cat Girl Synth
eclectics
Am I correct in thinking that the attenuversion has maximum unity gain?
starthief
eclectics wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that the attenuversion has maximum unity gain?

After a quick poke at it with O'Tool... yes.
igorrr
kanstraktar wrote:
any update on the availability in Europe? Cat Girl Synth

Will reappear at some distributors in around two weeks.

Yes, amplification is 1x.
It would be a crime from my side to implement any noticeable amplification for a 6 channels module.
There were some remarks regarding attenuation with zero at the middle of the knobs rotation. Actually 3xMIA can be easily patched as ordinary attenuator – just split your signal and patch it to both A and B inputs, then twist outer knob to max “+” position and inner knob to max “-” position, done. Now rotating the inner knob will gradually raise the signal, as does the ordinary attenuator. This patch also gives you 2x amplification, gain reduction at fully CCW is around 60 dB.
igorrr
Did a video showing the above described patch for 3xMIA being used as unipolar 0…max attenuator.
lisa
igorrr wrote:

Will reappear at some distributors in around two weeks.

Fantastic! A week to go. I'll get two. Chugging Beers
igorrr
Escape from Noise store currently has some 3xMIAs.
https://escapefromnoise.com/modular/happy-nerding-3xmia/
MvK
I've been waiting for the mia to get available for a long time now. Is there any chance it getting restocked in schneidersladen anytime soon?

thx
igorrr
You can get them from MIDI Amsterdam now, will restock at Schneiders with the next order.
http://www.midiamsterdam.nl/happy-nerding-3xmia.html
igorrr
Here is the thread for audio targeted version, which is basically is a 6-channel audio mixer.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2746291#2746291
MvK
igorrr wrote:
You can get them from MIDI Amsterdam now, will restock at Schneiders with the next order.
http://www.midiamsterdam.nl/happy-nerding-3xmia.html

thx for the info
Breezewax
This module looks amazing, are you planning on releasing another run?
igorrr
New run is currently being sent to distributors.
In US Analogue Haven represents my modules, so as soon as they will order 3xMIA – it will be supplied to AH.
Breezewax
igorrr wrote:
New run is currently being sent to distributors.
In US Analogue Haven represents my modules, so as soon as they will order 3xMIA – it will be supplied to AH.

Awesome Igor! Thanks for the quick reply Im picking this up and your VCA, looking forward to seeing what new things you come up with applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 10 of 11