MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Audiothingies Micromonsta - New 8-voice polyphonic synth!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Audiothingies Micromonsta - New 8-voice polyphonic synth!
12eightyfive
http://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/

Looks interesting! Like a P6 with two extra voices and wavetable compatibility. Have always wanted a P6, but demos have sounded somewhat flat. Could this be a Blofeld challenger?
rjungemann
It's based on the Audiothingies P6, not the DSI P6, of course :¬) But yeah it does sound interesting, and we could use more synths that let you load in your wavetables.
MATSmile
12eightyfive wrote:
http://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/

Looks interesting! Like a P6 with two extra voices and wavetable compatibility. Have always wanted a P6, but demos have sounded somewhat flat. Could this be a Blofeld challenger?

Same here, maybe worth checking the the thing out.
AdamJay
The P6 sounds great and I found it to be somewhat Nord-ish in sound. Good to see this update to it, especially that case!

The corners on the old case can wreck your fingers and arms in a dimly lit environment.
Vacancy Of Disco
I am intrigued for sure!
Astronaut FX
For those familiar with the P6, how does this compare to the Bofeld or a Virus (from a sound standpoint)?
elektrosamplist
Hey guys,

Didn't notice that thread... Thanks for posting the information here.

You might have a hard time finding someone to actually talk about it as it's not shipping yet, but the wait should not be that long now...

BTW, it's really a bit more than 2 extra voices and wavetables.
And hopefully it will evolve a bit more in the next few months.

Any questions fell free to post here I will monitor the thread.
gentle_attack
12eightyfive wrote:
could this be a Blofeld challenger?

Blofeld is like 25 note polyphony 16 part multitimbral, I guess they use the words "upto."

This device loses between 2/3 and 1/2 of those specs, but does look to cost about 1/2 of the new price of a Blofeld desktop. I guess it could replace the Blofeld/Virus desktops for much cheaper but it doesn'r seem really competive specs wise.

I don't think most people max out a virus or Blofeld on a regular basis though, so i can definitely see this product finding some buyers. The demo on their page sounds pretty pretty good.
AdamJay
If you have no interest in using Blofeld's multi mode... or comb filter, or PPG filter, or parallel filter routing.. then yea, it should certainly be considered as an alternative.
SoundPool
gentle_attack wrote:

I don't think most people max out a virus or Blofeld on a regular basis though, so i can definitely see this product finding some buyers. The demo on their page sounds pretty pretty good.

Actually I find its pretty easy to do. Since those specs are "up to" but if you have a patch that uses one or two wavetable oscs combined with one or two comb/PPG filters or something like that the poly count drops very fast. I haven't even gotten to the samples on mine yet and have hit the wall. Use it in multi mode where you need even just one part like that combined with a couple drum tracks and then boom, you are done before you know it. I like the idea of a cheaper slightly simpler box like this to use as a live side synth for a similar sound in a compact design- you can assign all the heavy lifting patch wise to something like a Blofeld and then have this on top as a very capable box for your leads or extra textures.
monads
Wow, looks pretty cool! Thanks for sharing/posting about. I'm a sucker for these little boxes! I hope the editing is easy an intuitive cause I hate menu diving.
zaphod betamax
AdamJay wrote:
If you have no interest in using Blofeld's multi mode... or comb filter, or PPG filter, or parallel filter routing.. then yea, it should certainly be considered as an alternative.
. Yes. You are lucky to get 3 note polyphony with a wavetables and unison set to three, with 2 filters and a full mod matrix. I do not use the multimode, but rather 2 blofeld keyboards.
gentle_attack
SoundPool wrote:
I like the idea of a cheaper slightly simpler box like this to use as a live side synth for a similar sound in a compact design- you can assign all the heavy lifting patch wise to something like a Blofeld and then have this on top as a very capable box for your leads or extra textures.

I did not use my words correctly. Yes power users on those devices , either running drum tracks in the background and/or more complex wavetable/mod matrix patches won't see this as much of a replacement at all. And I'm perhaps wrong to assume "many virus owners" just use one patch at a time and don't run out of ram.

But people who have a blofeld/virus, and do just run basic poly patches, or those who don't own one because they won't be a power user, are going to be excited about this. You're saying also that even people using virus maxxed out might want this. Sounds like they've got a pretty good potential customer base here!
oootini
Will this be offered in DIY?
elektrosamplist
oootini wrote:
Will this be offered in DIY?

Nope sorry, this is not a DIY project.
stikygum
The Micromonsta is a steal considering how good it sounds and how cheap it costs. It's already a really good sounding synth. With an iPad editor, I think the Micromonsta would be a really cool package. When you compare synths, you have to look at how you like the sound of each synth. The Micromonsta already has nice features. Saying one is better based on specs doesn't really work because it will come down to how you use it and how it's specific sound character fits with your music.
o0
I ordered one right away from the strength of the sound demo. I was looking to get back into hardware-based and I'm building a mini desktop studio around a Korg Electribe. I have to say that I love it, and the programmable arpegiasequencer fits really well with what I'm trying to do right now.

Korg Electribe:Rythms and Pads
Audiothingies Micromonsta: Arpeggiator following the pads
MakeNoise 0-Coast: slaved to the arp midi out
Bastl Instruments MicroGranny: vocal samples

So far, I find the MicroMonsta hits all the needs I had, great sound, polyphony, midi control, including the arp/seq and size and cost.[/video]
rhythmdial
damn that is rather inexpensive!
I will keep this on my radar hihi
Blairio
Just signed up for one of these. Apart from being an interesting desktop instrument capable of some very respectable polysynth sounds, its compact size suggests it could be neatly included in a modular setup. It includes a sophisticated arppegiator and chord generator, and LFO's have reset and sync to patch BPM. VCO algorithms include standard waveforms, super saw waves, and 15 built in wavetables. Each VCO can also generate noise and sub -oscillations. On top of all that there are 15 slots for users to load their own wavetables. What's not to like?
computer controlled
I've had one for a while now. They sound way better than they should for the price! A lot of people really liked it at the synth meet here in Seattle this past weekend.

Audiothingies MicroMonsta by Larry Kleinke, on Flickr
Blairio
Great photo by the way! So how would you characterise the sound of the MicroMonsta?
computer controlled
It sounds wonderful! Rich, full, can also do glassy and smooth with the wavetables. I haven't messed with loading up my own WTs yet. One thing i can't figure out is how get mod wheel action going on. No MW option in the matrix. I also wish the delays were syncable. But that's a small issue. I just like syncable delays =o]

Love the little extras in the package =o]
Blairio
computer controlled wrote:
It sounds wonderful! Rich, full, can also do glassy and smooth with the wavetables. I haven't messed with loading up my own WTs yet. One thing i can't figure out is how get mod wheel action going on. No MW option in the matrix. I also wish the delays were syncable. But that's a small issue. I just like syncable delays =o]

Love the little extras in the package =o]

That's odd. The MicroMonsta manual lists 'WHL' (mod wheel) as a modulation source.

I wonder if mod wheel on the MicroMonsta is mapped to a non-standard CC value? Mod Wheel is normally midi CC value 1, but perhaps not in this case? Samuel at Audiothingies could advise on this.
computer controlled
You are correct, i was slightly wrong. I should have said there's no way to map mod wheel to LFO amount. Only speed.
Blairio
computer controlled wrote:
You are correct, i was slightly wrong. I should have said there's no way to map mod wheel to LFO amount. Only speed.

I understand now. I have a couple of DSI instruments which have similar virtual patch slots i.e. source | destination | amplitude. I think (though I will have to check) that the DSI mod wheel can be mapped onto a virtual patch's amplitude.

Perhaps this could be introduced as a firmware upgrade? In any case I am still amazed at what has been delivered in such a small amount of desktop real estate. I can see my MicroMonsta (when I receive it late September) occupying a permanent place on top of my Nord Electro 5 73 SW 'master' keyboard.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7