Beta 57a ?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Beta 57a ?

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 pm

there are some "new but tested" Beta 57s on Craigslist somewhat local going for 75 dollars US, they are 140 at sweetwater...i've used regular 57s in the past, i've heard the Betas are better...i currently have a 58, a Rodes NT3, an Oktava MK-319, and an assortment of oddballs....

the question: do you think this mic/price are good enough to purchase? do i "need" it? i wasn't in the market, and i really want a bass mic more tbh, i figured i'd run into one at some point..but i can't say i wouldn't want a new mic, you know how it goes....

opinions?

felix
Loves the manuals!

Post by felix » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:11 pm

I've used it on guitar cabs and voice and I must say I personally preferred the regular 57.

The Beta had this funny dip around 6 or 7k which sounded weird compared to the regular 57 (which has a bump from like 3 to 10k.

The Beta was also way to bassy for my taste when it was placed close to the subject. "Close" of course being a relative term, but compared to the 57, I had to back it away from the source to get rid of what seemed like too much proximity effect.

You mentioned wanting a bass mic, you might want to try the 57a out on a bass cab. It might work out well actually.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 pm

felix wrote: You mentioned wanting a bass mic, you might want to try the 57a out on a bass cab. It might work out well actually.
i read that the Beta 57 has more of a proximity effect, what you are saying goes along with that...got to think about this...he has 10 of them, so i have a few days...

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:25 pm

I have a Beta 57 and never, ever use it. I'll trade it for a regular SM57 if you want it.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:11 am

synthetic wrote:I have a Beta 57 and never, ever use it. I'll trade it for a regular SM57 if you want it.
i actually have a broken 57...i'm going to call Shure and see if i can get it fixed, they used to do that pretty cheap back in the day...

Return to “General Gear”