MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

recording clock / control voltages?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author recording clock / control voltages?
jonnosan
Hi Folks

Let's say I want to record from eurorack to e.g. a Zoom r16.
Is there any reason I can't (or shouldn't) record clock on to one of the tracks, so I can retain sync if I want to later on overdub?
and same with e.g. a pitch CV - that could also be recorded/played back? I can see potential problems there though with scaling, e.g. it would be hard I think to get the amplitude on the playback to exactly match the amplitude originally recorded. which is not such a problem for a clock/gate/trigger signal as long as the output amplitude exceeds 3V or whatever is needed for the receiver of the signal to treat as a 'logic high' state.

Any gotchas I should be aware before I plug stuff in and have a go?
jonnosan
Err.. one obvious limitation is with the R16 I can record up to 8 channels at once, but can only play back 2 channels (left and right).

So if I want to hear what is recorded while I am overdubbing, I will need to pan all the audio to e.g. right channel, and output clock (only) on left channel.

Which would then mean it won't be possible to also output a recorded CV (like pitch).

So I will abandon idea of trying to record CVs - but straight clock recording should work, correct?
stk
Your zoom (or interface, or whatever) will most likely block dc input, so you won't get anything useful recorded. For that you would require a dc coupled device (not sure if this exists) - or if using a computer (and equipped with the necessary peripherals) Expert Sleepers has a Euro module specifically designed to take control voltages.

For triggers/clock, yes you will probably get the leading edge as a blip, worth a try.
jonnosan
So I was only able to spend a few minutes playing with this tonight, but my initial test "mostly worked".

I used the 'EOR' trigger on a 4MS PEG as a clock, which I plugged in to the Zoom input #1, and recorded to track 1 on the R16 with gain turned down just below the clipping light came on.

After recording about 20 seconds, I played back track 1 - there was an audible 'thump' each beat. Then I ran panned track 1 to max left, turned the output volume up to max and plugged a cable into left output,and ran that into the trigger inputs of a few modules (an AS-60 envelope generator, Blue Lantern BD v4, MBF Tom module) - all triggered fine, and output a regular beat

But then my final test was to run my recorded click track into the 'ping' input of the 4ms. This did NOT result in the PEG outputting a clean clock, rather I could see there was actually 2 (or maybe more) pings being registered on each 'click'.

So looks like this is certainly doable, but may need some tweaking with levels though. I will start poking around with the oscilloscope tomorrow to see whats going on.

As I type this I realised the EOR signal I recorded is probably a square wave not a pulse, which no doubt didn't help
cnexk9
I have an Tascam 488 mkii cassette tap mixer/recorder that I would love to record modular to. I have been curious about the possibility of recording a clock gate signal to one of the tracks to be used to sync over dubs etc. during recording. If anyone has done something similar I would love to know how you did it.
CDavis
cnexk9 wrote:
I have an Tascam 488 mkii cassette tap mixer/recorder that I would love to record modular to. I have been curious about the possibility of recording a clock gate signal to one of the tracks to be used to sync over dubs etc. during recording. If anyone has done something similar I would love to know how you did it.

Recording clock to tape should work just fine. Thats how they did it before computers! Just record your clock like audio and play it back into the modular. It should work fine as long as the levels are hot enough.
The Grump
I have friends who use reel-to-reel tape recorders to record their CV and play it back. I think there is a list of DC-coupled audio interfaces on Expert Sleepers' website. I'm not sure if there are others outside of that list around. I have been looking.

Just be careful with DC recordings and audio interfaces. If your interface is DC coupled, and you play a DC audio file out of an output going to any sort of amplification or headphones, you can burn out amps and speakers VERY quickly. Don't ever try to listen to it, most of it doesn't create audible displacements in the air anyway.

depending on how your clock functions, it may just sound like clicks, or if it's like an S-trig, it will sound like clicks, but you will quickly smell burning electrical components.
SlayerBadger!

Good luck.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1