MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Benjolin-centred 3U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Benjolin-centred 3U
wmctavishnusic
Been thinking, semi-hypothetically, about what 3U 84hp of space might look like for use based around the Epoch Benjolin. This is definitely my next module, and while I'm not necessarily prepared to dedicate a whole row to it, I'm curious what those with experience with it would place along side it, putting aside concern for "plus it lets you do xyz situation/function".

Designed strictly for wrangling the Benjolin, what would you do? I've thrown the layout below as a jumping off point. That video with the a-135-1 & a-143-9 meets Benjolin is fantastic, so that seems like a logical starting point. And while I'm sure I've hardly understood it fully, the recently released Just Friends seems to scream good times when thrown in the mix.

effervescingelephant
I've been experimenting with cold mac / benjolin combo the other day..and found out the patch surveillance mode can tame the benj to desired territories. also tried modulating JF with rather lower oscillations of benjolin which could add some rungler spice into the drone (in the sound mode)
robbasvenna
wmctavishnusic,
I have no hands on experience with the module but I have the Epoch Modular Benjolin on the way, and I've also been inspired by the video you mention and have the same modules in mind, so I'll keep an eye on this thread and thought I'd chime in with my two cents anyway... smile I have an A-143-9 already (simple, but I love it and it gets used somehow in most of my patches), a Just Friends at the post office and just when I thought I'd decided on the A-135-1 I saw Divkids video of the Erica Synths Quad VCA and decided to save up for that one instead! smile The Erica VCA seems to be a better fit since it's smaller, seems great-sounding and has a lot of neat functionality that the Doepfer lacks. I also pulled the trigger on two Soundmachines LS1 lightstrips after watching Audio Central Magazines Benjolin-videos, seems like a great fit!
I also imagine the Epoch Twin Peak-filter will be a good "expansion" to the Benjolin! Can't wait to pair them up...

effervescingelephant,
great to hear that Cold Mac and Just Friends are good companions to the Benjolin! I have a Cold Mac at the post office as well, so now all that's missing is the Benjolin... and the Quad VCA... and the... and the... grin
bobbcorr
Here's my take on 3U84HP Benjolin-centered rig:

I add a powerful modulator, some utilities, 2Hp of soothing vactrols, a 3-way filter, a combo VCA/Mixer and Warps...but only if you load Parasites on to it.
yghartsyrt
i'd add something that can beef up the filter outputs, since they are just line level.
A matrix mixer might be a good idea too.

I found out that the Twin peak (i have the Klangbau Köln version) is a killer combo with the benjolin. Maybe a a sample & hold aswell and you are close to blippoo territory
flx
It's maybe not exactly what you're asking for, but I recently learned first hand that a Radio Music is great with the Benjolin! It's a small module and can be modulated by the Benjolin's outputs really well.
wmctavishnusic
A smaller 4-channel VCA definitely sounds like an improvement, as people have pointed out - either the Erica Synths one or the Bubblesound.

And as yghartsyrt pointed out, something to bring up those apparently quiet filter outs.

Thinking more broadly on bobbcorr's inclusion of Warps, some sort of wavefolding or additive/harmonic-adding element would be very cool to play against the filter outs.
bobbcorr
Damn, the more I stare at that 84HP I put together the more I want it. Goodbye, $$.
wmctavishnusic
Just now realized the Batumi has a quadrature mode... Later, A-143-9
cane creek
Wonder if you could squeeze a chronoblob in there, been having great fun with that module lately and would sound superb with Benjolin, I've just spent the last 2 hours wiggling RF Nomad/Maths/Chronoblob awesomeness.
trip
My take:

The inverter is for the rungler cv out, 'cause we don't have any attenuverters here. Just friends does way more than rampage, but costs 3x as much! Twin Peak and benjolin play real nice together. The IF tgtsh is great for so many purposes - for example testing using the threshold to test the rungler cv in order to trigger a load of other activity elsewhere in the patch. Could imagine some really nice feedback paths in this setup. ffchaos works great with one of the benjolin oscs at lfo rate with a high rungler setting - bursts of chaotic gates and triggers.... This reminds me I need to get a lpg to play with the ffchaos.
GNE
I recently put this together using a Benjolin.

wmctavishnusic
Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson
GNE wrote:

Summa
I pretty much always patch up the Benjolin with an Intellijel Planar and keep an Gozinta next to it for beefing up the filtered outputs.

Patching the X/Y into the mod ins and taking the rungler back out to the Planar is a good way yo get some really interesting crazy but controlled noises. The liquid sound of the filter is just amazing, wish it was a standalone filter.
trip
GNE wrote:

oof, all that mobenthey Dead Banana

Would love to hear some samples of that! Really intrigued by his Sprott module, it's the one I've heard the least of - bet it sounds great with the benjolin pwm out.
yghartsyrt
I used these benjolin centered setups live recently

timoka
i agree with planar and twin peaks as very very good combinations with the benjolin, its as close as one can get to a blippoo box i think,
and planar makes it very playable. and maybe the d0 !!
Dead Banana
He_lium
trip wrote:
GNE wrote:

oof, all that mobenthey Dead Banana

Would love to hear some samples of that! Really intrigued by his Sprott module, it's the one I've heard the least of - bet it sounds great with the benjolin pwm out.

Me too! Also appreciate to hear that furious beast
robbasvenna
bobbcorr wrote:
2Hp of soothing vactrols

Thanks for the DPLPG-tip bobbcorr! Totally missed that one, and looks and sounds just like the LPG I've been looking for! grin
listentoaheartbeat
If I was going for an extra Benjolin-box anyways, I'd rather get one of these..

yghartsyrt
listentoaheartbeat wrote:

Plus you could ask Derek to include an aux input for the filter
Infinity Curve
listentoaheartbeat wrote:

+1 on the butterfly, it's amazing!
NewNewRon
Recently I've found that I like the sound of the Benjolin through Rings.
This
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/track/anhalter
was made with something like this, plus a couple of FX pedals.
wmctavishnusic
NewNewRon wrote:
Recently I've found that I like the sound of the Benjolin through Rings.
This
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/track/anhalter
was made with something like this, plus a couple of FX pedals.

I really enjoyed that!
kingspill
I've been using a Gozinta to boost levels and an LPG (Make Noise LxD in this case). Stripping down is helping me understand this beast a little better. I think. Maybe.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2