MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mu VCO Shootout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Mu VCO Shootout
Jsharpphoto
So you don't have to dig all the way through this thread....

Original Post:

I'm in the pre-production phase of a VCO comparison video that will make a simple side by side (by side by side, etc) of the available standard issue VCO options in the Mu format. VCO's I plan on including:

.com q106
Moon 501d
Analog Craftsman VCO
Corsynth Odessey of Sound VCO
SSL 1200 VCO

Are there any more traditional oscillators I should try and include? I'm steering away from the Moog clones because the nuances between them, without a real Moog oscillator to compare, are a bit irrelevant.

My plan is to compare each pure wave shape of each VCO side by side, as well through a pretty standard filter (either my ac2600 or my Mankato) with a sequence from my moon 569. There are videos online that showcase the features of most of them, but not a ton that offer side by side. If there is a specific test you want to see, please let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate.
JohnLRice
Cool, I look forward to seeing/hearing what your results are. thumbs up
VinceL
I think you ought to try to include Krisp1's Oakley MU S-VCO and full-sized VCO.
Jsharpphoto
VinceL wrote:
I think you ought to try to include Krisp1's Oakley MU S-VCO and full-sized VCO.

I'm completely open to it. Does anyone want to loan me the oakleys for the test? Tony at AC is graciously lending us his new VCO.
josaka
Oakley is a good shout.. and Curetronic might be interesting?
bwhittington
I've always wanted to hear the MOTM-300 in comparison with other 5U oscillators. (EDIT: Oh, wait, you said MU...)

This might make for an overly long demo, but a demo of each VCO's response to FM modulation would be great, perhaps with a common modulator to keep it simple. The differences there might be more pronounced than a comparison of simple waveforms.

I look forward to hearing the results of your efforts. Should be interesting.
Jsharpphoto
I will reach out to curetronic and Krisp1, but I don't have high hopes that the will send a unit overseas for testing. If someone on the forum wants to contribute to the cause I will cover the cost of shipping to and from.
Jsharpphoto
bwhittington wrote:
I've always wanted to hear the MOTM-300 in comparison with other 5U oscillators. (EDIT: Oh, wait, you said MU...)

This might make for an overly long demo, but a demo of each VCO's response to FM modulation would be great, perhaps with a common modulator to keep it simple. The differences there might be more pronounced than a comparison of simple waveforms.

I look forward to hearing the results of your efforts. Should be interesting.

I think we do need to limit it to Mu format, since MOTM is a dead or dying format. The goal of the comparison is to help new users, and people expanding their systems aware of the sonic differences, and I don't think there are many people moving into that format.
Synthbuilder
Jsharpphoto wrote:
... since MOTM is a dead or dying format.

I think not. MOTM builds are still the number one destinations for my PCBs. In the large format DIY market at least MOTM is doing very well.

For fully manufactured modules MU is the probably the preferred choice. But both MOTM and MU are an insignificance to what is going on in Eurorack in terms of modules sold. 'Tis a shame but there you go.

Tony
JohnLRice
Jsharpphoto wrote:
MOTM is a dead or dying format.
lol I think most people on the eurorack forum would say "WTF is a MOTM?" and would agree that MU is a dead or dying format. confused
coyoteous
Reports of MOTM's death are greatly exaggerated.
Jsharpphoto
That may be the case. But this comparison is limited to prefab modules of the Mu format.
coyoteous
Don't forget the non-Slim (Fat?) Oakley/Krisp1 VCO in MU.

I have one playing 921 to an SSL 1200 pair's 921 A/BB in my 20U RA MUUG Mutique System/Model 32P portable console (4 rows of 8 munits), and couldn't be happier with it or the 1200s.
fyvewytches
Mos-Lab Kobol

The brand new Krisp1 TZ-VCO
Henfield
Jsharpphoto wrote:

Are there any more traditional oscillators I should try and include? I'm steering away from the Moog clones because the nuances between them, without a real Moog oscillator to compare, are a bit irrelevant.

I don't think that the Moog Clones (Moslab or Synthwerks) are irrelevant without an actual Moog oscillator, as I would like to hear the differences between these oscillators and other MU, such as the Q106.

I have done an A/B comparison with the COTK 921 A/B combination against the Q106s (not on my system, but on someone else's system), and I could not hear any sonic differences between the Dotcom and COTK.
johny_gtr
I think that comparing traditional East Coast oscillators in euro format and MU will be good.

Corsynth/Mos-Lab OSC's battle will be interesting too.
burdij
I wonder if there is a real difference in "sound" between various oscillators based on similar designs. I think there are two major classes of oscillator topologies that will make a noticeable (by the time the signal gets to the end of the processing chain) difference in the sound of the synthesizer.

Class I is all of the designs based on a single exponential converter current source controlling a saw/triangle/unijunction relaxation oscillator. Class II is the few designs based on a single exponential converter controlling multiple saw/triangle oscillators with the ability to offset the tuning either with a linear or exponential bias or control voltage.

These two classes will affect the sound in the way that an oscillator can affect the sound with regard to the base frequency and the harmonic structure and amplitude of the output waveform. This is assuming that we are putting aside for a moment subtle harmonic contributions from such things as waveform glitches, sine wave distortions, and poor FM or PWM modulation response, all of which are, much as we would like to present them as advantages, actually defects in the devices.

I hate to burst the bubble but there are no sparkly sonic sprinkles that leak through the filters, mixers, reverbs, gates, miles of patchcords, and digital processors from the oscillator that gives us the magical "Moog" sound. The sonic footprint, the time dependent relationship of how we mold and control the harmonic mixture at each processing step, will produce the magic.
Dave Peck
fyvewytches wrote:

The whaaaaaat....?

I can't find info on this. What's the scoop?
fyvewytches
Dave Peck wrote:
fyvewytches wrote:

The whaaaaaat....?

Best let Paul tell you all about it... I thought he had already ! Anyway... http://www.modulargrid.net/d/krisp1-tz-vco

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Wow, look at my DIY Dixie Deluxe compared to that Krisp VCO. Great minds think alike, I guess (although mine is not TZ -- I haven't built a DIY Rubicon yet, but it would probably require a bigger panel). However, it has the double saw, the two sync edges (only Once (Up) and Twice (Both), and only on Flip (Reversing) sync mode, not on Hard Sync (Resetting) mode. It also has a Flip sync probability pot, several sine modes and pulse modes, and a suboscillator. Also, the Sync input is normalled to the Flip input, which gives lots of interesting variations on hard sync. This can be deactivated by turning the Flip pot fully CCW. In that case, the hard sync gives a sequence of the harmonic series when the VCO is FMed. It's pretty kewl.

Here's the back (look at that DIY madness!):

If you want this one for your comparison, I'd happily ship it to you.
Jsharpphoto
Henfield wrote:
Jsharpphoto wrote:

I don't think that the Moog Clones (Moslab or Synthwerks) are irrelevant without an actual Moog oscillator, as I would like to hear the differences between these oscillators and other MU, such as the Q106.

I have done an A/B comparison with the COTK 921 A/B combination against the Q106s (not on my system, but on someone else's system), and I could not hear any sonic differences between the Dotcom and COTK.

Don't most of the Moog clones operate on 12v? I'm running a standard DOTCOM power system in my cabinet.
Jsharpphoto
At this point, unless a forum member is going to loan me one, or I can get a test module from the manufacturers, I will have to limit it to the few originally mentioned. I will start reaching out to builders to see if they want to participate. I'm not holding my breath on builders with a long lead time like mos-lab.
krisp14u
Dave Peck wrote:
fyvewytches wrote:

The whaaaaaat....?

The TZ-VCO is something I have been collaborating on for far too long eek!
I need to get the product to market but time is something I dont have at the moment Dead Banana
sample products have gone out and hope to have some demos soon smile then it should be in store very soon Rockin' Banana!

I will pop a post up when its in store

Back to the Original Idea if One of my customers in the states wants to lone the good Mr Jsharpphoto an Oakley S-VCO / VCO I will make sure some reward comes your way Miley Cyrus Guinness ftw!
The Disquiet
Here's a blind test between the MOTM 300, MacBeth MK1 'A', and Modcan 01B that I did a few years ago:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1342670
Moog$FooL$
i heard this ^ "DIY Dixie Deluxe" the other day & was VERY impressed.
although i didn't understand how it does the harmonic sequence & it's assorted variations, i'm hoping to play more with it in the future.

i think 5U & even Frac DIY-ers have a new & exciting option on the way!!

way to go Dr. Sketch. thumbs up nanners hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4