MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY motm power entry module (and cabinet)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DIY motm power entry module (and cabinet)
consumed
i got a shipment of panels in the mail today.
first up--DIY motm power entry with mult.

http://loopcycle.blogspot.com/2008/09/diy-motm-power-entry-module.html

i posted the part numbers in the blog.
ill upload the FPE file tomorrow, in case anyone wants to build this too.

neandrewthal
Nice. Good to see you're not using 2U for that little connector and switch.
consumed
paul's 3U panel for the '900 is nice in that the PSU mounts directly to the panel. i think its ideal/convenient for anyone who doesnt want to DIY anything power related (which is probably, in the long run, a good thing), but i really wanted to just make a fancy power module with an LED in the switch Guinness ftw!
Moog$FooL$
oh oh oh!!

thanx so much for this.
i've bookmarked your blog & look fwd. to the fpd thingy.
this may be a project for the future.... i'm just not sure if i wanna use a Blacet power supply for MOTM stuff or diy, once i start to build them???
Muff Wiggler
we're not worthy

fantastic!
synthetic
Nice build! My metalwork never comes out nearly that clean.

But why do you want the power jack on the front?
consumed
synthetic wrote:
Nice build! My metalwork never comes out nearly that clean.

But why do you want the power jack on the front?

do you mean the front-facing side of the modular?
the panel can mount fine in the back and i may put it there anyway.
up to now ive had the motm 900 and 950 screwed into the back of the cabinet.
the only hassle is reaching back there to flip it off.
the mults are there in case i put the switch in the front, which ill do until i run out of room.
having the power switch in front is also good if the cabinet is sitting high on a shelf.
this panel was designed as an alternative to the 3U '900 or '950.
synthetic
Switching it off? Why?

smile
Kwote
synthetic wrote:
Switching it off? Why?

smile

my guess is he cares about mother earth.. and doesn't want an expensive electric bill.
consumed
i used to leave my stuff on all the time, but my room becomes a sauna, and weve had a few blackouts in the last six months too, so im turning stuff off these days.
synthetic
Yeah, I switch off or sleep mode more of my gear lately. But I came up in a pro studio where we always left stuff on so it was ready to go. Also cut down on maintenance costs, gear usually blows up when you switch it on because of the inrush current. I am trying to be greener, though, and will switch stuff off if I don't plan on using it for more than 24 hours. Although a modular patch might sound very different if you cycle the power...
Kwote
synthetic wrote:
a modular patch might sound very different if you cycle the power...

might but not always. i generally tear down patches after powering down but recently i didn't and fortunately it came through the way i left it.
consumed
having trouble sleeping for some reason.
finished setting up power for my cabinet, then.
this particular power supply was *definitely* surplus--
part of the frame is bent and it had the nastiest smelling flux on it that needed to be removed.

Muff Wiggler
nice case!!! love
Muff Wiggler
why the caps on the distro board?
wetterberg
Muff Wiggler wrote:
nice case!!! love
yeah, that's really ridiculously good-looking for a diy jobbie! Nice work!
consumed
thanks! it was my second attempt at some kind of cabinet.
it has no screws in it. its held together only with gorilla glue.
(it was heavily clamped for a couple days.)

i dont know why the motm distro board has caps.
ill have to ask paul why he does that.
consumed
i built this cabinet two years ago already. damn time flies.
(i just found some old pics of it)

consumed
Muff Wiggler wrote:
why the caps on the distro board?

paul s. says:

Quote:
Since I don't know what sort of power supplies are hooked up to these, or what other loads are in the cabinet, this provides a bit of 'bulk capacitance'. Also, it lowers the impedance of the power cables.
synthetic
Very nice case. I wish mine fit together that tightly.
consumed
thanks. it really helps if you have a friend with a table saw and knows how to use it.
i designed the cabinet and it does fit together nicely. too bad the wood is a bit warped.
nothing large can sit on it without wobbling.

i found some construction photos.

Kwote
yeah i was just gonna say. that's some uber tight fit casing. i dig it.

mmmmmmmmm like a glove.

synthetic
Nice work. I'm already thinking about a new, bigger case. And mine is only three months old. very frustrating
haricots
Very nice!

I built two cases last weekend using two Ikea bedroom end tables (called Rast -- http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/44361109). I have two Blacet racks in one and one set of MOTM rails in the other (so far just one module). I was surprised at how well it fits. I simply used quarter round screwed to both insides to secure the racks/rails. Very low tech but it's a super cheap way to rack gear.
parasitk
haricots wrote:
I built two cases last weekend using two Ikea bedroom end tables (called Rast -- http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/44361109). I have two Blacet racks in one and one set of MOTM rails in the other (so far just one module). I was surprised at how well it fits. I simply used quarter round screwed to both insides to secure the racks/rails. Very low tech but it's a super cheap way to rack gear.

Pics and more info? w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2