MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My new style Clock/Gate divider module [5U].
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author My new style Clock/Gate divider module [5U].
satindas
I'm close to completing a little project I've been working on for a while. The Flipping Floppernator ! It simply takes as an input either a clock, gate or changing dc signal (hey I used a comparator !) and outputs a gate level signal which alternates between output 1 and output 2. The output remains high for as long as the input does. There are three channels on the board. Channel 1 output 1 is linked and combined with the channel 2 input via an XOR gate and channel 2 is similarly linked to Channel 3. The board isn't quiet right yet as I need to crunch it down a bit to make room for the 9 sockets, three knobs, 2 switches and 6 LED's so I'm not even sure if this is gonna fit in 1U; might have to make it 2U with two boards to make it work but it's still gonna be tight.

What use is it ?

One obvious use is to have a gate source trigger alternating ADSRs. (Gate 6 ADSR's independently from a KLEE for example)
Or, by linking two of these (1 board) modules you would get simultaneous clock divisions of 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64 (plus the off-beats).
Complex rhythms can be created by feeding just two of the inputs with externally synced pulses ( Each alternate pulse is XOR'ed with the second input). Or for example feed it two or more different rate, synced or not, S/H outputs for multiple, simultaneous random gates.
Use external logic for added functionality/unpredictability.
It's still on the breadboard at the moment but I'll post some scope shots soon to give an idea of how it performs.

Here's how the board looks at the moment.

unrecordings
This looks interesting. Let us know when you're done, I'm up for attempting an MOTM conversion

I've a request though, can you add M3 mounting holes at the four corners ?
Or at least two down one edge to allow mounting the board with brackets

Edit - yep - it's going to be 2U

Let me know the controls and I can mock up a panel (okay I'll have to figure out the MU dimensions, but an MOTM one is going to take mere seconds to knock out)
satindas
unrecordings wrote:

Let me know the controls and I can mock up a panel (okay I'll have to figure out the MU dimensions, but an MOTM one is going to take mere seconds to knock out)


Just 3 pots which are thresholds for the inputs.
Pot spacing is currently 41.3mm but I'm guessing this will need reducing to make space for the 9 sockets.
6 x Leds, 1 for each output.
2 x switches for the channel links.

The centre pot has pads for an Omeg pot bracket so there shouldn't be any need for mounting holes but if I can, I'll squeeze them in. thumbs up
unrecordings
PM sent..

Damn - does anyone have a dimensional drawing of the MU grid ? I've got the panel dimensions, just don't have a starting point for the layout of the controls
unrecordings
Here's a quick mock up of how I see it in MOTM format

Edit - talking of mounting holes - if you were able to move R37 & R38 inland a little, you could probably fit two mounting holes between the three pots

satindas
Mounting holes and dotcom power header added.
unrecordings
Nice...

Incidentally, how are you getting the boards done - OSHPark or are you getting a small stock to sell ?
satindas
unrecordings wrote:
Nice...

Incidentally, how are you getting the boards done - OSHPark or are you getting a small stock to sell ?


I normally use Itead. Never had any problems and their quality seems to have improved if anything over the last couple of years. Delivery times seem to be somewhat quicker than they used to be too; I ordered a bunch of attenuverter boards on 21st of May and they arrived in the post just this morning.

Never used OSHPark... Whats the deal?

If people want boards I'm more than happy to provide them and I'll do an interest check after the boards are tested and ok.

Cheers thumbs up
DrReverendSeance
I'm interested as well
sduck
Sounds cool! I'd like one or more of these. Would it be possible to add a footprint for a MOTM power header? It looks like there's room.

OSHpark is great - depending on how much $$ you're hoping to get from this. In other words, you sell the first 100 you get from itead or whatever directly, use the proceeds to pay yourself for your time. If you want to keep making $$, keep doing that. But if you want the project out there still but don't want the bother of ordering/shipping, you can just put the gerbers on OSHpark, and people can order them as they want. You don't get any $$, but your project is still out there.
DrReverendSeance
I think there are MOTM style headers on this on the lower right corner? It looks like a 4-pin MTA-156 space
unrecordings
sduck wrote:
Sounds cool! I'd like one or more of these. Would it be possible to add a footprint for a MOTM power header? It looks like there's room.

OSHpark is great - depending on how much $$ you're hoping to get from this. In other words, you sell the first 100 you get from itead or whatever directly, use the proceeds to pay yourself for your time. If you want to keep making $$, keep doing that. But if you want the project out there still but don't want the bother of ordering/shipping, you can just put the gerbers on OSHpark, and people can order them as they want. You don't get any $$, but your project is still out there.


Agreed with SD on OSHpark, it takes the shipping hassle out of your hands, but there is a minimum order, so it can put people off. I did Mangros' CR78 snare clone at the start of the year and had to order three units (I only wanted one) - okay I kept a spare and sold the third to another Wiggler, but it was a bit of a hassle
sduck
DrReverendSeance wrote:
I think there are MOTM style headers on this on the lower right corner? It looks like a 4-pin MTA-156 space


Oh! Of course. I do believe you are correct.
unrecordings
Now we have four channels, here's a quick panel update
I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's a start :-)

Paradigm X
cool, always interested in 5u diy stuff. sounds interesting. will read properly later.
satindas
unrecordings wrote:
Now we have four channels, here's a quick panel update
I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's a start :-)



Yep! thumbs up The board has provision for a single Omeg pot bracket (on the TH 2 pot) so it would actually sit right where the switches are. Would they squeeze between the TH pots and the outputs if you used smaller diameter knobs... what is the diameter of those you've used?
unrecordings
That's why I wasn't happy with it :-)
Knobs are MOTM standard Alco 27mm so yes you could easily go for smaller knobs and put the switches to the right of the Threshold controls (or in a row above the input jacks...)
satindas
unrecordings wrote:
That's why I wasn't happy with it :-)
Knobs are MOTM standard Alco 27mm so yes you could easily go for smaller knobs and put the switches to the right of the Threshold controls (or in a row above the input jacks...)

I guess above the inputs sockets makes sense as there's plenty of space there but in terms of the way each channel is linked they kinda make more sense near the outputs hmmm.....
unrecordings
Here's another one
Switches plonked shall we say in the output section - I do like them here

They would line up quite nicely with the LEDs (if you were using Lumex - anything bigger wouldn't work)

I had a more radical solution that was the row of pots down the middle with the A outputs to the left of them and B outputs to the right, but that would make board wiring a bit of a pain

unrecordings
Oh yes, the name - no one worked out where it came from yet
Any guesses ?
satindas
unrecordings wrote:
Oh yes, the name - no one worked out where it came from yet
Any guesses ?


Well I don't really know, but I like the idea that you were being prophetic hihi
unrecordings
From the TV version of (the movie) Repo Man. Alex Cox re-dubbed all the swearing for comedic effect...
DrReverendSeance
unrecordings wrote:
Here's another one
Switches plonked shall we say in the output section - I do like them here

They would line up quite nicely with the LEDs (if you were using Lumex - anything bigger wouldn't work)

I had a more radical solution that was the row of pots down the middle with the A outputs to the left of them and B outputs to the right, but that would make board wiring a bit of a pain



I like this second version - is there enough space for the back of the switches? It looks tight with the jacks on the screen.
unrecordings
DrReverendSeance wrote:

I like this second version - is there enough space for the back of the switches? It looks tight with the jacks on the screen.


If you're using Lumex LEDs and Switchcraft 112A jacks, then you should be fine (though you'll need to secure the switches before you pop the LEDs in). If you're using open frame jacks, then I suspect you may have a problem

I think there's still some tweaking to do though around the outputs & LEDs (and switches)

Edit: Try this for size - the LEDs & switches are equidistant from the jacks
DrReverendSeance
^ Looking really good! applause I like the equidistance and the space for the cascading text.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group