MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Strymon Deco with Synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Strymon Deco with Synth
weinglas
Here is a short video with the Strymon Deco and a Akai Timbre Wolf, so noone can say it sounds good because of the synth hihi

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jyTkv8xx8

And another one (now with stereo in/out):

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jiEb3LDq5s

Edit: Another video added
suboptimal
I picked up a Deco earlier this year for this sort of thing. It's an expensive butter, but it does sound really nice slathered over a wide range of sounds. I keep meaning to put a whole patch through it, but for some reason it keeps ending up handling only certain voices (you know, those wannabe dub techno chords that we're all trying for; it's great for that).
chvad
it's funny. there is a ton of vitriol towards the timbre wolf but I've been watching videos of it all weekend. with sweetwater blowing them out at 300 I grabbed one. I have a far more capable synths but I hear something unique, if not limited, in the timbre wolf.
rayce
Love Strymon pedals. I hadn't paid much attention to the Deco but this sounds great here. Impressive how it adds a little magic to the timbre wolf.
noisejockey
Very nice, Weinglas, although anything in your hands will pretty much sound weird and cool...

Nice little vignette.
weinglas
chvad wrote:
it's funny. there is a ton of vitriol towards the timbre wolf but I've been watching videos of it all weekend. with sweetwater blowing them out at 300 I grabbed one. I have a far more capable synths but I hear something unique, if not limited, in the timbre wolf.

Congrats. I still like mine, although it is more a keyboard than a synth wink
But the sequencer is worth the price alone SlayerBadger!

noisejockey wrote:
Very nice, Weinglas, although anything in your hands will pretty much sound weird and cool...

Nice little vignette.

Thank you very much hyper

rayce wrote:
Love Strymon pedals. I hadn't paid much attention to the Deco but this sounds great here. Impressive how it adds a little magic to the timbre wolf.

And it really is easy to dial in the perfect settings. Lots of sweet spots screaming goo yo

suboptimal wrote:
I picked up a Deco earlier this year for this sort of thing. It's an expensive butter, but it does sound really nice slathered over a wide range of sounds. I keep meaning to put a whole patch through it, but for some reason it keeps ending up handling only certain voices (you know, those wannabe dub techno chords that we're all trying for; it's great for that).

Never tried this so far but I think the deco could be useful as a mastering tool too: A little bit of tape saturation is never wrong wink
stikygum
Do you guys use your Deco with a stereo splitter cord for use with stereo synths?
weinglas
stikygum wrote:
Do you guys use your Deco with a stereo splitter cord for use with stereo synths?

At the moment not but I tried it and it works very well. SlayerBadger!

But it sucks to change between mono and stereo. No matter if I change the jumper or look for the necessary y-cable.... hmmm.....
Klaus
weinglas wrote:
stikygum wrote:

But it sucks to change between mono and stereo. No matter if I change the jumper or look for the necessary y-cable.... hmmm.....

Yeah. I would wanna use it at the end of my Monomachine, how does it behave when set to stereo and fed a monosignal? Klaus
AdamJay
Great advertisement for the magic of the Deco.
It really is special.
weinglas
Klaus wrote:
weinglas wrote:
stikygum wrote:

Yeah. I would wanna use it at the end of my Monomachine, how does it behave when set to stereo and fed a monosignal? Klaus

You have to get a Y-split cable to feed the mono signal to both inputs of the deco. All in all: What a strange desing decision. First you need an "insert" cable for stereo, then you need another strange cable if you want to feed it a mono signal. But then it works (and sounds great).
weinglas
AdamJay wrote:
Great advertisement for the magic of the Deco.
It really is special.

It really is. Thanks a lot screaming goo yo
Paranormal Patroler
I'm currently in the process of looking for things to warm up all my digital synths and Hainbach told me about the Deco when I mentioned the Handsome Audio Zulu (maybe worth checking out also weinglas ? ). I'm gonna wait for the Analog Heat to become available second hand, but in the meantime this one is right down my alley. I loved the LoFi Junkie as a wobbly tape emulator but I'd love to get a stereo pedal that can really do tape in a less gimmicky way.

Hmmm ... hmmm.....
JohnLRice
I got a DECO recently but haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet and none with the modular. I'm looking forward to trying it on all sorts of things though! hyper Here's a picture of how I have it set up:

All the Strymon pedals are in a sliding tray and have all of their inputs and outputs connected to one of the patch bays. To deal with the "mono or stereo" choices of the DECO and DIG I set the switch to stereo, use an insert cable and then in the patch bay the left and right inputs are half normal'd so if I connect a signal to the left input (upper jack) it is also sent to the right input (lower jack) so it "should be" the same as running in mono and then if i connect an external signal to the right input (lower jack) it breaks the connection to the left input (upper jack) so it will then be working in stereo.
Paranormal Patroler
JohnLRice wrote:
All the Strymon pedals are in a sliding tray and have all of their inputs and outputs connected to one of the patch bays. To deal with the "mono or stereo" choices of the DECO and DIG I set the switch to stereo, use an insert cable and then in the patch bay the left and right inputs are half normal'd so if I connect a signal to the left input (upper jack) it is also sent to the right input (lower jack) so it "should be" the same as running in mono and then if i connect an external signal to the right input (lower jack) it breaks the connection to the left input (upper jack) so it will then be working in stereo.

That's insightful, thanks. I have a small mixing setup in mind which comprises of things that can (I assume) be added on the stereo bus. So if things go well (and I don't end up on the streets) I want to make something like your setup above, use a patch bay, and then work on complete mixes. I like the idea of recording directly in stereo/quad instead of having to work on the computer to make final mixes. I wonder how well a Deco will work on a mix bus
StudentsOfTheFuture
This demo hooked me a few months back - I *love* mine as a bus effect, both on drums and on more general material.

I actually grabbed a second one so I could have a dedicated bus one (and I've been considering a third... two busses, one drums and one atmosphere/harmony, and a single one to double a mono lead line... SlayerBadger!)

This track was recorded in one take out the mixer through a Deco and into the computer, messing with inverted signals in the Deco and a delay. I didn't do much knob tweaking on the deco beyond hitting the autoflange in a few places, and afaik I could have gotten a lot more oomph out of it - settings were fairly subtle.

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 track=1786670852 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
misterbunty
I've been eyeing the Handsome Audio Zulu, as well. That and the Boum, which I know very little about.

Having said that- does anyone know if there are any analog components in the Deco's signal path, or is this purely digital magic?
Leverkusen
StudentsOfTheFuture wrote:

This track was recorded in one take out the mixer through a Deco and into the computer, messing with inverted signals in the Deco and a delay. I didn't do much knob tweaking on the deco beyond hitting the autoflange in a few places, and afaik I could have gotten a lot more oomph out of it - settings were fairly subtle.

Nice track - I find it already does sound quite distorted though. Sounds a bit as if you were driving it to hot at some points.

What I sometimes dislike about the Deco is that when you have it in inverted or double mode and go for the autoflage it switches over to the normal mode which immediately destroy the stereo image and gives you a unpleasant sound disruption.

I like it for the distortion it delivers with some input signals and for the flanging sound but If you want tape sound I am not sure if it is exactly what I would recommend. With some sounds it it sounds golden with other sounds it sounds more broken I find.

In each case you have to watch the input level more carefully than on the cap or the lex.
Leverkusen
misterbunty wrote:
I've been eyeing the Handsome Audio Zulu, as well. That and the Boum, which I know very little about.

Having said that- does anyone know if there are any analog components in the Deco's signal path, or is this purely digital magic?

I think the Bypass usually is analog in Strymon pedals (as long as you don't change it manually...) the rest is pure digital magick.
suboptimal
I've been running my mixer through it before hitting the recorder and have enjoyed the results. Subtle is right, though at extreme settings it can do interesting things as well.

Still want an El Cap, and have debated selling my Timeline to "downgrade."
Paranormal Patroler
suboptimal wrote:
Subtle is right, though at extreme settings it can do interesting things as well.

Subtle huh? So in terms of the compressing, the tape "warmth" and the EQing ... is it worth it? Not looking for slapback or flanging sounds. Just the sound of tape (and a bit of wobble to make things more interesting) over a mixbus. What do you think now that you've used it ?
StudentsOfTheFuture
Leverkusen wrote:

Nice track - I find it already does sound quite distorted though. Sounds a bit as if you were driving it to hot at some points.

What I sometimes dislike about the Deco is that when you have it in inverted or double mode and go for the autoflage it switches over to the normal mode which immediately destroy the stereo image and gives you a unpleasant sound disruption.

I like it for the distortion it delivers with some input signals and for the flanging sound but If you want tape sound I am not sure if it is exactly what I would recommend. With some sounds it it sounds golden with other sounds it sounds more broken I find.

In each case you have to watch the input level more carefully than on the cap or the lex.

Yeah, I was (mostly at the mixer) - I phrased that badly, plenty of drive through the recording, just I could have gotten a lot more via the Deco.

And dead on wrt the stereo image, it's tricky with the inverted settings.
suboptimal
It's a nice tape emulator for those who are willing to pay the premium to have that in hardware. I suspect that for many who use computers in their flow would be better off just using a plugin.

Over the last couple of years I've been focusing my gear decisions on processors that add an organic hash or depth to my modular's voices, or my overall mix. This definitely fits that role. I'm getting moments of that dub techno vibe.
Futuresound
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

That's insightful, thanks. I have a small mixing setup in mind which comprises of things that can (I assume) be added on the stereo bus. So if things go well (and I don't end up on the streets) I want to make something like your setup above, use a patch bay, and then work on complete mixes. I like the idea of recording directly in stereo/quad instead of having to work on the computer to make final mixes. I wonder how well a Deco will work on a mix bus

I've been struggling with the mono/stereo choice for my Strymon stuff, and the half-normalling solutions looks like a good one.

For the record, I confirmed with Strymon that it's technically possible to add a switch across the internal jumper to select Mono/Stereo, but of course this would void the warranty, and require drilling a hole in the case to mount the switch. Kind of drastic, but maybe a good option for some.
DGTom
StudentsOfTheFuture wrote:
I actually grabbed a second one

I've been really tempted to do this. Having a dedicated bus for strings / pads... I love the sound of 100% 2nd deck & manual bending at opportune moments.

I think it's a great box if you use it for _all_ the things it does (not all at once / all the time) purely as a 'tape box' on the master inserts... I dunno, but, if you sometimes need the flange / chorus / slapback stuff as well thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3