MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Today my small discovery was...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author Today my small discovery was...
enj_music
Snail wrote:
Flo, I didn't mean you can't get a filter to self-oscillate on a non-modular, only that typically you can't remove the oscillator from the signal path and still get sound from just the filter self-oscillating because of the way the synths are typically routed. Am I wrong? As a result, I never realized a filter could be used by itself as a sound source.

Often with the resonance turned all the way up and the oscillator mixer section turned all the way down on many monosynths and polysynths, you will still be able to play a filter sine wave.
flo
enj_music wrote:
Snail wrote:
Flo, I didn't mean you can't get a filter to self-oscillate on a non-modular, only that typically you can't remove the oscillator from the signal path and still get sound from just the filter self-oscillating because of the way the synths are typically routed. Am I wrong? As a result, I never realized a filter could be used by itself as a sound source.

Often with the resonance turned all the way up and the oscillator mixer section turned all the way down on many monosynths and polysynths, you will still be able to play a filter sine wave.

Yeah, it depends on the synth of course. Virtually all my hardwired analog synths can do it, I think only my TB303 cannot (its filter also doesn't self-oscillate or track the keyboard, though). On some synths, there are "tricks" to get the oscs to cancel (e.g. on the MS10, you need to use the pulse waveform and the pulsewidth set to 100% to kill the osc).
geremyf
I just discovered that using the a ringmod output of two simple waves beating against each other (say a sine and saw) makes for an awesome signal to feed into the tELHARMONIC's FM input.
Aaronautical001
Quote:
I just discovered that using the a ringmod output of two simple waves beating against each other (say a sine and saw) makes for an awesome signal to feed into the tELHARMONIC's FM input.

Right! I'll be trying that! thumbs up

Great thread people keep it up.
Prescient Punk
Just realized that when I patch a sine from one osc into a simple on off switch and then to the fm in of another osc I can tune the variations and create note changes with a switch. It has proven to be very fun as lately I've be slaved to using sequencers for this and while this technique is not as versatile sometimes I want to use the sequencer for rhythms that vary from the pitch. And I only have one sequencer. cool

Plus it sounds great as I am essentially FMing the oscillator. Guinness ftw!
Prescient Punk
This just in: A-118 colored noise out to Pittsburgh oscillator sync in, turn up the blue noise and MY ASS IS BLEEDING applause

Edit: creates a smooth pitch shift.
bard1234
Snail wrote:
I never realized a filter could be used by itself as a sound source.

It's a sine of the times.

Sorry applause
dumbledog
I've been knee deep the last week or two, asking sequences out of LFOs, a quantizer and Pamela's by resetting the LFO phase every eight or sixteen steps. Today I let the sequence change up every few bars by triggering an S&H and sending it to the LFO frequency. That of course changes the sequence, but it also slowly evolves as the S&H slowly discharges.
morrison23usa
Snail wrote:
Thanks for sharing... some interesting stuff already! I am looking forward to trying out some of these tricks (including making notes on Maths!).

Today my discovery was that playing with modulars has changed the way I approach non-modular synths. Sat down with my Sub 37 today and what came out was distinctly more experimental and sound-exploration like than anything I would have done before getting started on modular.

+1 to this. Moog mono synth is a whole new experience for me post-modular.
kirklandish
My favorite discovery was in regards to the Optomix.

Trigger to the STRIKE input and an LFO to the CTRL input (with the knob slightly up from full CCW). I played with the timing of the LFO until I established a nice counter rhythm against the gate. Keeping the CTRL level low keeps it nice and subtle.

I was using the E340 Cloud Generator (sine output) as the sound source. This is becoming one of my favorite modules to pair with the Optomix for percussion sounds.
infovore
tylrprtr wrote:
infovore wrote:
Audio-rate sample/hold heavily attenuated into an FM input for a delightful "fizzle" on top of a sound. I might make a short video about this.

I'm having trouble mentally hearing this, so please do post a video!

[/video]

As requested. Sorry it's a tutorial/chat rather than just a 10s clip, but not everybody in this world knows this stuff, so thought I'd tell a story.
TechForze
Thank you for this nice explanation!
eboats
Got a mult and realized how much I needed it. Same goes for a Quantizer - lots of musically interesting possibilities.
enj_music
Whenever I hear fizzle, I think high frequency emphasis more than jitter.
enj_music
Prescient Punk wrote:
This just in: A-118 colored noise out to Pittsburgh oscillator sync in, turn up the blue noise and MY ASS IS BLEEDING applause

Not sure what you're talking about - just tried this. All I got were clicks 'n' pops.
msegarra
Audio rate sequencers as Osc? rungler like effect.

need : analog sequencer, osc, mixer.

take osc sine wave and put it into brains clock input.

use pressure points knobs to shape the wave forms from outputs 1-3.

send to mixer with original osc mixed in.

* also interesting is using something like DPO where you can take one of the pressure points channels and input it into 1voct input of OSC 1 or 2. Using the sync feature or FM on DPO also makes for a awesome sound. I use the RXMX to pan through the sounds sources.

also iw as wondering if you modulate the frequency on an osc can you make sort of a chord like effect on the ears by hearing the pattern 1 - 3 - 5 fast enough. i know this would not make a chord but was just interested in the idea.

another idea is sequencing an arpeggiator very fast.

hope some one enjoys this, not sure that its something i came up with by anymeans buts thought it was interesting.
Prescient Punk
enj_music wrote:
Prescient Punk wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about - just tried this. All I got were clicks 'n' pops.

When I did this I started fully counter clockwise and then slowly turned the knob clockwise. It created a smooth shift in pitch as I turned. If you turn it up too far you will definitely get a dirtier sound. I suppose I should have clarified a bit more. I was excited.
Paul Perry
Snail wrote:
My small discovery yesterday (which felt like a huge discovery) was using filters in self-oscillation as sound sources -- something I never knew you could do, since you can't do it on a non-modular synth.

Had to play like that for a whole set once (broken keyboard). Second sound source was an echo stompbox which fortunately could also be coaxed into oscillation. Wish the audience had taken more drugs. Although my need was greater than theirs.

Another emergency crowd pleaser: using mains hum as a source, wiping a cable tip over a bald head (I am bald as a coot.) Wish I'd had time to prepare by putting a 9v battery across my ears - might work for CV. hmmm.....
mazzyboy
Mods, is there any chance that this marvellous thread can be stickied?
nedavine
Cool thread.

Manual reset/freeze: Sure most know but a dummy patch cable into some kind of freeze, reset input is fun. I dummy cable into metropolis reset and then just touch the tip of the cable for manual reset and stutters.
etantloh
I think I finally mastered how to navigate the banks and algorithms of the Disting mk3. I know that's super basic and I'll post more, I really just wanted to say +1 for stickying the thread! hihi
sihiL
Today I finally tried out patching a feedback loop on a filter for wilder resonance. I'd known resonance is a feecback loop back into the filter, but I had a lot of fun with this one.

Just mult the output of the filter into a mixer and whatever is next. The output of the mixer goes back into the filter input, other signals can be mixed in as well, but it may get out of control... SlayerBadger!
bradfromraleigh
etantloh wrote:
I think I finally mastered how to navigate the banks and algorithms of the Disting mk3. I know that's super basic and I'll post more, I really just wanted to say +1 for stickying the thread! hihi

I don't think that's basic - actually quite an accomplishment. Lots of good stuff in that module - wish I knew mine better.
ETP
sihiL wrote:
Today I finally tried out patching a feedback loop on a filter for wilder resonance. I'd known resonance is a feecback loop back into the filter, but I had a lot of fun with this one.

Just mult the output of the filter into a mixer and whatever is next. The output of the mixer goes back into the filter input, other signals can be mixed in as well, but it may get out of control... SlayerBadger!

if you go through a vca you get voltage control over resonance
i did this with my doepfer wasp filter. inverting the phase was necasary
franman69
It's interesting as I've been trying to document patches (this is my personality) but I do always let the new patches evolve organically. I think I feel better about writing something down, as it helps me learn what I did and that helps me remember the really cool parts.. I may actually want to recreate some of these patches in the future and I'm only been up and running a few weeks and I've already recorded over a dozen tracks.. No way I'm going to remember all this.

I totally agree that the actual patch creation process is best (for me) done organically.. start with an idea or something I saw a video of and let it evolve from there. Never takes more than an hour or two to have something pretty cool going. I love this sh_t...

Baddcr wrote:
Zube wrote:
XponentOne wrote:
A pen and little post-it notes are good for remembering maths cycle settings (or anything else that doesnt persist on powerdown) for the next session - cheap, hyper useful - have em on your desk thumbs up

+1 to this. I have a little notebook I use to remember cool patches. I practice re-patching these patches from scratch, kind of like how you'd practice a song on piano, for example. It helps me learn, and let's me refine ideas. They're never *exactly* the same of course but it helps me find a balance between composition and improvisation, and it feels really good to be slowly completing tracks!

I can see how this works for some folks, but I trust this to memory, if a patch is good it will come up again naturally... I find any kind of attempt to tame/order the process kills my vibe! I learned, for me, it has to be in the moment, it has to be live!

I totally agree with the idea that patching on the fly is like practicing playing any other instrument thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 2 of 31