MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Today my small discovery was...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author Today my small discovery was...
kirklandish
Make Noise STO

I've pretty much ignored the S-Gate on the STO input for the last three months, but I just fed an audio rate LFO into it and, WOW, some really nice fuzz tones are in there, particularly if you can get close to the pitch of the SUB.

I'm sure you could use an oscillator for even more controlled results by tracking the pitch of the sequence. The LFO was only tuned to one note in the sequence, so I was in some quasi-dubstep territory.
timoka
a complex lfo into the doepfer pll, pll output used for pinging percussion. really great, chaotic rhythm but with a steady pulse! need to experiment more with cv into the pll...
Aaronautical001
Quote:

I think I finally mastered how to navigate the banks and algorithms of the Disting mk3. I know that's super basic and I'll post....


Dear God! Tell me how you learned this eek! I seem to have a mental block on navigating the thing! Excellent module that makes me feel like an imbecile cry

For my contribution, I discovered that the JAG can do logic (2 is OR, 4 is the Y input, 8 is x input and 6 is AND) I just need to crack the rest of its code now...
etantloh
Quote:
Dear God! Tell me how you learned this eek! I seem to have a mental block on navigating the thing! Excellent module that makes me feel like an imbecile cry



I felt like that too.. to the point of almost talking myself out of it because of the
"menu diving" very frustrating but I finally sat down with a cheat sheet I found in a MW forum here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1633480
and the quick reference from ES here: http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/downloads/firmware/disting%20mk3%203. 1%20quick%20reference.pdf
Between those 2, after a couple hours it made sense and started to stick. I still have to reference some of the short videos to see some of the functions applied but mostly because I'm pretty new and still learning in general.

Haven't had much time to wiggle lately, but I learned about this Blue Lantern mixer https://www.modulargrid.net/e/blue-lantern-modules-mix-em-up.. A guy replied to a FB post I made asking about mixer suggestions. Wonder how I never came across it when I was looking for one. hmmm.....
hinterlands303
Mikrophonie + envelope follower = my entire case is now an envelope generator! I had a lot of fun playing (light) percussion on my case to generate all sorts of envelopes. I decided to pick up an envelope follower after I recently heard Morton Subotnick give a talk in Detroit (he described how important they were to developing his method of composition). It turns out the mikrophonie is a perfect match for the Ladik envelope follower (which has great features but lacks a preamp).
sihiL
I enjoy this topic, so I'm going to bump it.

Today I learned, that you can get exponential FM from an oscillator with no input for exp.FM by mixing an audio rate signal into the 1v/o-pitch voltage with a DC-coupled mixer. screaming goo yo
sockmonkey
While waiting for a Doepfer PLL, I picked up a Doepfer Min/Max and gave the Navs pseudo-PLL patch a try: http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.de/2012/02/potd-return-of-pll-arabesque .html (based on this patch from dougcl: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6608. Got some fun, variably trilling textures with two arbitrary oscillators as master/slave (Even VCO and Verbos HO, for instance). Also discovered some musically useful OSC tracking problems along the way... :-)
flo
sihiL wrote:
I enjoy this topic, so I'm going to bump it.

Today I learned, that you can get exponential FM from an oscillator with no input for exp.FM by mixing an audio rate signal into the 1v/o-pitch voltage with a DC-coupled mixer. screaming goo yo


That's because 1V/oct inputs are exponential hihi thumbs up
dysonant
This might be a boring one as it has nothing to do with actually making music.

I installed Parasites on my Clouds and Warps and you need to recalibrate after with specific voltage. After a few disheartening attempts with my BeatStep Pro I learned that Rene is perfect for sending out the exact proper voltage.
Snail
That's good to know, dysonant. Thanks for sharing!

My recent small discovery has been that almost everything in my rack can be used as an oscillator, not just the "oscillators." The Echophon, all my LFOs, filters, Clouds, envelopes... When I started counting sound sources it kind of blew my mind.
tthogs
Today my small discovery was that once you have a nice collection of stack cables, you can get rid of a lot of your mults!
suboptimal
Learned today that the hex screws I bought years ago have all started to strip. Couldn't get one out of a rail and ended up using a hacksaw - there's one HP that won't ever be used again. Somehow this feels appropriate, since the case it's in is housing brutal Metasonix, Trogotronic, and Harvestman modules. Dead Banana

Time for another bag of screws.
Jumbuktu
Today my small discovery was that the resonant sine waves produced by a 4ms SMRF sound wicked through a wavefolder (in my case, the NLC Timbre!).
hallvard
With my a-156 quantizer I get a trigger out when it is quantizing the CV (i.e. when CV in changes enough to warrant a change in CV out). I used this to mute some steps in a sequence by setting their CV to the same as the previous step. Can get some nice variety in a sequence with this.

Pretty basic and something you can do in different ways, but that was my discovery yesterday (hope it still qualifies wink )!
sihiL
A BeatStep Pro can be used as a pulse counter, if you're not using the drum sequencer. Just set the lower row of pads on the drum seq to the corresponding steps, and input an external clock. The BSP will output the same clock, if the clock is steady. With external sync, the clock divider won't work.

The BSP is pretty good for unipolar clocked random as well, but I learned that earlier on. Just use the velocity output of a melody sequencer, and set randomness and probablity to taste. Use a 1-step sequence, and make sure the step is activated. Set velocity to taste. You'll get random gates too. You can even use multiple steps!

I haven't tried it yet, but with octaves or a scale, the pitch output could work pretty well as quantized random voltages.
etantloh
I re-calibrated Clouds after installing the Parasites firmware and WOW Rockin' Banana!

I thought it sounded pretty good before but wasn't sure that the position knob was doing much, and the other knobs seemed to throw things out of hand very easily. After the calibration, it feels like I have much more control and can actually hear differences when adjusting the position knob. Of course, it could have been the source material but it definitely feels like a different module.

Became very familiar with the Disting's quantizer.

Had my first "proper" patch (photo'd, video'd, and recorded about 50 minutes worth) ... Combination of the M32's sequencer (with a neat sequence, tempo all the way CCW), M32's filter in self-oscillation, Wogglebug modulating M32's LFO rate, Tides and Wogglebug modulating Clouds, plus a couple of other tricks involving Maths and Turing Machine (looking at the picture now I'm having trouble tracing the cables). It had interesting melodic parts, with nice atmosphere provided by Clouds, and very interesting and fitting percussion elements... something that evolved on its own without any wiggling. It would make for an interesting 1-2 minute piece but I'll likely add to it and make it a full 3-4 minute album track. It was something I would be inclined to post on FB or wherever but I'll wait for posting things until I can confidently and logically explain the patches.

My Peaks arrived yesterday, and my SQ-1 today. Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger! thumbs up

On top of that, I'm finally getting the hang of working in Ableton, namely taking the recordings I make in arrangement view and creating clips in session view. I can't believe it took me so long to get into that DAW (Pro Tools was my comfort zone)... the hype is well-founded. What an amazing tool for creating and arranging music!
Snail
A couple of inter-related things today. Was watching Sonicstate's video podcast #447 and about mid-way Nick Batt starts talking about modular synthesis and a performance at Superbooth 2016 by Robert A A Lowe. The other guys kind of start bashing modular as uninteresting, since modular pieces just repeat and don't transition from A to B or the way a normal piece of music, in their mind, should move through sections.

So I'm listening to them, then watching the Lowe performance, then watching Mark Verbos's talk and performance at Superbooth, and after Verbos's performance he talks about how he uses the harmonic oscillator (almost too much, as a cliche he says) to transition between sections of a performance.

Anyway, my small discovery was that you really do need a few tricks up your sleeve to be able to do this if you want to hold an audience's attention through a sustained modular performance. And I realized that I tend to use Clouds in this way -- again almost too much. Once I have something going that I like, but then I want to transition out of it, I throw the Blend of Clouds in all the way to wet. Clouds starts doing crazy but interesting shit that sounds quite different to what was going on before, albeit related of course.

Then I can repatch in the modular something new, because only Clouds is playing, and then shift the blend back into dry to pick up that new patch. I'm trying to think of other tricks I could use that would have a similar effect, so that I don't have to only rely on this.
Snail
etantloh wrote:
Had my first "proper" patch (photo'd, video'd, and recorded about 50 minutes worth) ... Combination of the M32's sequencer (with a neat sequence, tempo all the way CCW), M32's filter in self-oscillation, Wogglebug modulating M32's LFO rate, Tides and Wogglebug modulating Clouds, plus a couple of other tricks involving Maths and Turing Machine (looking at the picture now I'm having trouble tracing the cables). It had interesting melodic parts, with nice atmosphere provided by Clouds, and very interesting and fitting percussion elements... something that evolved on its own without any wiggling. It would make for an interesting 1-2 minute piece but I'll likely add to it and make it a full 3-4 minute album track. It was something I would be inclined to post on FB or wherever but I'll wait for posting things until I can confidently and logically explain the patches.


Quote:
On top of that, I'm finally getting the hang of working in Ableton


Sounds like you're learning a ton. Look forward to seeing the post of that video -- sounds interesting! And are you going to be using Ableton with the modular?[/quote]
mgscheue
Snail wrote:


Then I can repatch in the modular something new, because only Clouds is playing, and then shift the blend back into dry to pick up that new patch. I'm trying to think of other tricks I could use that would have a similar effect, so that I don't have to only rely on this.


In the Gearslutz Q&A with Richard Devine, he talks about doing something similar with the Radio Music modules in his performance system. They let him keep something going while he's transitionsing between patches.
Snail
mgscheue wrote:
Snail wrote:


Then I can repatch in the modular something new, because only Clouds is playing, and then shift the blend back into dry to pick up that new patch. I'm trying to think of other tricks I could use that would have a similar effect, so that I don't have to only rely on this.


In the Gearslutz Q&A with Richard Devine, he talks about doing something similar with the Radio Music modules in his performance system. They let him keep something going while he's transitionsing between patches.


That's a great idea! And thanks to you, one of my small discoveries was that Richard Devine Q&A! Very interesting reading. Interesting that he also records drones and modular stuff into the Radio Music to use to transition. Never occurred to me to do that and I think I'll try it.
BillyB909
Fairly obvious I guess, but running a drum mix into Clouds in Spectral madness mode, then hitting the density and texture inputs with envelopes gives great synced spot fx.

It also turns out - not quite sure how I missed this - that the size of the gate going into the Beat input on the numeric repetitor is then echoed at the various outputs. So if I send it a longish gate from Pams rather than a trigger, then it spits out gates of the same size at each of the outputs, but with specific rhythms. I guess I'd assumed it would be triggers at the outputs, but apparently not.
rayultine
PulpLogic FSR CV into the Brain Seed. New meaning to the phrase "one finger melody" !!!
Roy72
I learnt (last week?) that pings need to be really short to work for pinging filters or LPGs. I had it all wrong, then I tried it using my Befaco Rampage on it's fast setting, and wow, there it is.
happyham
flo wrote:
sihiL wrote:
I enjoy this topic, so I'm going to bump it.

Today I learned, that you can get exponential FM from an oscillator with no input for exp.FM by mixing an audio rate signal into the 1v/o-pitch voltage with a DC-coupled mixer. screaming goo yo


That's because 1V/oct inputs are exponential hihi thumbs up


Here I've been like a dumb ass trying to get exponential fm out of my dixie with the uvca! playing with this led to another totally obvious discovery: the right touch of vibrato on an fm modulator makes for great musical fm sounds. I had been too keen on throwing in the kitchen sink with noise, s and h, and envelopes, but well dosed lfos thicken up the sound very well.
etantloh
Snail wrote:
Sounds like you're learning a ton. Look forward to seeing the post of that video -- sounds interesting! And are you going to be using Ableton with the modular?
[/quote]

As I learn, I'm recording everything into Ableton and using all of that content to create new tracks. I may use Ableton to sequence at some point but I bought an SQ-1 with the idea of going computer-less. One of the reasons for investing in my modular system was eventually wanting to perform with it on its own.. which is a pretty lofty goal especially knowing how much time it takes to really understand the instrument and its capabilities. In the meantime, it's a great way to break out of my VST/Pro Tools rut. I'm not as efficient at composing new material (yet), but exploring new hardware (especially a modular system) and software is like Christmas every day hyper thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 3 of 31
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group