MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Today my small discovery was...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author Today my small discovery was...
electricfence
Muxlicer pairs really nicely with FXDf. I have only had the FXDf for a short while, and had gotten it mainly to extract triggers from more complex audio sources, but today I ran some morphing waveforms from the E-352 into both inputs of the FXDf and then routed each of the outputs to an input on the Muxlicer, and now I have a little mini-MuRF in my rack.

If I sequence the address input, then I can control the filtering patterns. screaming goo yo nanners
starthief
Mutable style Rogan knobs fit the front panel of the Behringer UMC1820 interface. Very handy to make the main monitor knob stand out better from a row of identical knobs, as well as easier to tweak. cool

starthief
TIL Curtis Roads' The Computer Music Tutorial is large and heavy. But it's got quite a lot of useful information and insight. It's definitely oriented toward DSP and computers in particular, but it's still got a lot of cool info.
jsco
running audio through an allpass filter (like polaris) before running it through a wavefolder gives you a whole new dimension of control over the wavefolder sound. (same principle applies to putting an allpass before distortion, fuzz, etc.)
Foghorn
I put an old uScale II and a random module (Ladik R-120) in my drum case and clock them both the same or differently.
The uScale II outputs work very handily as pitch inputs for BIA, Plonk or Chimera.

Foghorn

EDIT: Sorry, misspoke.
uScale gets the random CV out from R-120 into shift, set on output "B"
I was using Quantimator, and triggering it, but moved it.
I will admit that I do not completely understand uScale yet (again)
cptnal
Foghorn wrote:
I put an old uScale II and a random module (Ladik R-120) in my drum case and clock them both the same or differently.
The uScale II outputs work very handily as pitch inputs for BIA, Plonk or Chimera.

Foghorn

How do you clock a quantizer? hmmm.....

Meanwhile, mine is finally getting Branches to consistently behave the way I want it to. (Hint: "Long press" means long press, whereas "press" means short press. Always read the manual, kids. Dead Banana )
PietroC
Running a Sequencer's CV through a Buff mult and each channel of maths
Rotating the attenuverters can produce chords ( Hard to dial in but cool )
hlprmnky
cptnal wrote:
Foghorn wrote:

Foghorn

Some quantizers (like the Penrose for example) have a trigger input, which you can feed a clock or a gate pattern from a sequencer to decide when it's time to choose a new note value for the output, rather than having a new note value (and in the case of the Penrose, outbound gate) show up on the output whenever the incoming voltage moves far enough to tip into the next bucket.
cptnal
hlprmnky wrote:
cptnal wrote:
Foghorn wrote:

Foghorn

Some quantizers (like the Penrose for example) have a trigger input, which you can feed a clock or a gate pattern from a sequencer to decide when it's time to choose a new note value for the output, rather than having a new note value (and in the case of the Penrose, outbound gate) show up on the output whenever the incoming voltage moves far enough to tip into the next bucket.

Indeed, but uScale isn't one of them. Feel like I'm missing a trick somewhere...
hlprmnky
cptnal wrote:

Indeed, but uScale isn't one of them. Feel like I'm missing a trick somewhere...

You could throw a S&H in front of the uScale and clock that, I think?
cptnal
Foghorn wrote:

Me neither. Mr. Green

I've recently been experimenting with using a sequencer to step through banks of scales/chords as per an idea dcramer described in his Exodus patch. Great for adding development and movement to an otherwise static patch.
Foghorn
I guess I should have made a new post.

Last edited by Foghorn on Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Foghorn

PS, I like Toppo Quantimator a little better.
It is really simple
Footkerchief
Inspired by the feedback routing of the Lyra8-FX, I patched my Chronoblob's output back to its Time CV. It makes a beautiful range of warbly chorus/reverb sounds, even at long delay times.

After reading Robert Moog's "a waveform that changes dramatically with frequency is essential for convincing string tone simulation", I started multing my 1v/oct signals to the weirder timbral inputs like wavefolder symmetry and PWM, and I gotta say, he was on to something.

Velocity and FM index are best friends. It's a great fit because a slower sweep of FM index can create some rough harmonic instabilities, which the instantaneous jump of a velocity change avoids.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
This has nothing to do with synthesizers, but I'm just so tickled about it that I wanted to share...

Today I was giving my soul red 2018 Mazda 3 a very thorough cleaning inside and out. I was vacuuming the inside. I tend to be a bit of a slob in my car, and often get bits of food and splooge on the centre console and in the cup holders. So today I was vacuuming out the cup holders when the bottom of one came out stuck to the vacuum nozzle. It turns out that the bottom of each cup holder is removable, so they can be properly washed. Awesome! I had no idea, and I wouldn't have thought of that myself. I love good design (and loathe poor design -- my pet peeve) and this is it.

Then, I was vacuuming out the inside door handles, and the bottoms of those are also removable! Everything was given a thorough washing and replaced gleaming. The Mazda designers really seem to have tried to think of everything, and I really appreciate it. I have nothing but high praise for Mazda, and would recommend them wholeheartedly to anyone.

OK, back to synths...
BlinkyLights
I had about ten small discoveries today, one of several similar days - here in my first month of having enough modules to do much of anything - while I keep working this patch and initial track idea over and over, learning my few modules and related gear, learning all things eurorack, and dealing with the fun and complexity of new modules added recently.

I have much to learn. And I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. Should have made this entry years ago. I feel so late to the party.
Jim the Oldbie
EDIT: Oops, wrong bingo table, sorry...
Shledge
I can use Ears as a very basic comparator, especially if I invert the gate output. It can also handle CV so I can send a trigger to make it output it's envelope.
Tenderosa
Noise into the Morphagene varispeed with it at noon (no modulation) gives a fantastic subtle tape wobble. You can never get it dead noon so there is always a little bit of random slipping through which is wonderful.

This btw is the best thread on MW and am always happy when it pops to the top again.
joeSeggiola
Tenderosa wrote:
Noise into the Morphagene varispeed with it at noon (no modulation) gives a fantastic subtle tape wobble.

Oh, that looks cool. Is white noise ok, or you need a smoothed noise CV like a random LFO?
Tenderosa
joeSeggiola wrote:
Tenderosa wrote:
Noise into the Morphagene varispeed with it at noon (no modulation) gives a fantastic subtle tape wobble.

Oh, that looks cool. Is white noise ok, or you need a smoothed noise CV like a random LFO?

Yes I’m using straight white noise out of the Disting & works well
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
So, this is more like a re-discovery, cuz I've made this mistake before, but...

When you buy toggle switches, there is always an "extra" nut on the bushing right up next to the body of the switch. Well, it's there for a reason. If you put the switch on a panel without that nut, and you tighten the outer nut too tightly, you are likely to rip the bushing right out of the switch body, thereby destroying the switch. I did that this morning when I was attaching a panel to a panel PCB. That inner nut takes the strain of the tightened outer nut, thus protecting the bushing and switch body from torque. Also, the panel spacing is better with that nut in place, as it will then make the switch the same height as Alpha PCB-mounted pots.

So, leave the extra nut on the bushing when installing toggle switches, and don't tighten that first nut too tightly (just finger tight).
Misk
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

When you buy toggle switches, there is always an "extra" nut on the bushing right up next to the body of the switch. Well, it's there for a reason. If you put the switch on a panel without that nut, and you tighten the outer nut too tightly, you are likely to rip the bushing right out of the switch body, thereby destroying the switch. I did that this morning when I was attaching a panel to a panel PCB. That inner nut takes the strain of the tightened outer nut, thus protecting the bushing and switch body from torque. Also, the panel spacing is better with that nut in place, as it will then make the switch the same height as Alpha PCB-mounted pots.

So, leave the extra nut on the bushing when installing toggle switches, and don't tighten that first nut too tightly (just finger tight).

This is some of that arcane occult DIY knowledge that will aid me at that point in every project where I really believe I'm smarter than the pcb applause

Also, the control forge is great for making all sorts of flavors of digital noise, and can even be pushed into the realm of (almost) white noise. If you've got a satellite, load it with a bunch of audio-rate presets—they're great oscillators!
Hazza26
I've been having a lovely old time with my E350 Morphing Terrarium for the last 3 years making pretty, wavetabley noises.

I just switched it into LFO range for the first time ever. HOLY SHIT! This thing is a CV generating monster!

SlayerBadger! Rockin' Banana!
atl
DIY newbie edition: testing an LED with a 9v battery doesn't always work. In fact, with some LEDs, it works exactly once.

Dead Banana
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
atl wrote:
DIY newbie edition: testing an LED with a 9v battery doesn't always work. In fact, with some LEDs, it works exactly once.

Dead Banana

Uh, yeah, you gotta limit the current through an LED with a suitable resistor. If you have that resistor in the chain, then testing with the battery should be completely safe. 2.2k is my go-to resistor value for most LEDs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 30 of 31