MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Coco and OP-1?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Coco and OP-1?
wednesdayayay
I'm using one apple airport extreme power adapter (mine crapped out but the power cord still works) to power a coco, plumbutter and meng qi voltage memory MY ASS IS BLEEDING using one of those guitar pedal power source splitting cables

I was having terrible power supply issues with a power source I bought from amazon
arnoux
wednesdayayay wrote:
I'm using one apple airport extreme power adapter (mine crapped out but the power cord still works) to power a coco, plumbutter and meng qi voltage memory MY ASS IS BLEEDING using one of those guitar pedal power source splitting cables

I was having terrible power supply issues with a power source I bought from amazon

I see, thanks, I'm going to check those apple adapters.
I just recreated the bad behavior right now just removing and re-plugging the mini-jack from the OP-1 to the piezo in BTW having the OP-1 under charge..
wednesdayayay
can I ask why you are sending the op1 through the piezo input?

does it behave the same way when plugging in through the normal inputs?
if not it may be an impedance thing
arnoux
wednesdayayay wrote:
can I ask why you are sending the op1 through the piezo input?

does it behave the same way when plugging in through the normal inputs?
if not it may be an impedance thing

Have to check this out but in one year of heavy usage in this fashion I never have this problem like these days.. Yes it happened already but OFF/ON and everything was normal.. now it happens all the time..

I use the piezo in so I can plug both the Cocos from the white banana (with two stacked cables) and record in both the Cocos or 1 or 2 at my choice having just 1 overall input volume on the left..

don't know really, I find it handy, maybe just a bad habit I developed because of the strangeness of the stereo ins on the front" sending a mono signal only to the left.. but I'm going to follow your idea.

Also, I have another power supply somewhere to check.

Today I had this idea, here in my region do not rain since 2 months, the air is so dry I keep having little electric shock whatever I touch, my car, computer and so on.. is it possible this weather and my own electrostatics effect the instrument?
Hainbach
I know that the noise that we are all talking about will appear at the most inconvenient times so I am always ready, even live, to switch of the Coco and reset. Troubling to hear that it can appear permanently.

But using one supply for many instruments will be a bad time. The noise floor is considerably higher, especially with gear that is crappy in that regard. OP1 is a main offender, I NEVER power it when playing it with my gear. Throws up dirt everywhere. Voltage Memory also wants to be on a seperate supply. I can get away with a Sidrax, Coco and Neunaber Slate on one 12V, but nothing more.

Different supplies can have a drastically different noise floor, up to -12dB lower.
arnoux
Just tried with another power supply, it's a cheap one but I had it around, same behavior, so, ok the cheap power supplies but this is weird, it never behaved like that..

Now I'm going to change room, not using a power strip but directly on the wall and let's see, maybe it's something else in the line, like the computer.. uh it's sometime stressing troubleshooting these situations.. I'm scared to have to send it back in the US..
Hainbach
What about battery power? Does it happen then? Never tried using a 9V before.
arnoux
Good idea! You're right! Didn't have one to try but tomorrow I'll grab one..
arnoux
So I've tried with the 9V battery, no success sadly.. the usual high pitched noise appears..
Also moved the Coco to another location in the house plugging only its power supply on the wall, using the OP-1 without USB power, because I though maybe it would have being my computer or something and I had the problem back again..

I will contact Peter tomorrow, let's see what he suggest..
Hainbach
Sucks man! I hope you get it sorted. Please update the thread if you do.
arnoux
I started using one of this "interface" cables I had with my BugBrand (the one with the ground):
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id =117
Problem between OP-1 and COCO solved.
I waited a bit playing a lot with this combination before posting and it looks like it works.. does it makes sense having them grounded together?
Hainbach
Here is an example of the noise: https://youtu.be/tELa57Cth00?t=313

I got rid of it later by turning both in and delay to zero for a bit.
ignacio
Had no idea you could connect OP-1 to PB. Must hit the studio. Thanks for the tip.
arnoux
Hainbach wrote:
Here is an example of the noise: https://youtu.be/tELa57Cth00?t=313

I got rid of it later by turning both in and delay to zero for a bit.

Can't recognize the noise from your clip sir. Hainbach, mine kicks in surely louder than yours.

EDIT: ah, yes, yours is very loud too.. mine is more.. how to say.. I'll record it if I can.

Today I had the COCO grounded to my rig (BUG, Cirklon, Serge), plugged in my SM58, turned it on, cleaned the buffers, turned on the volume and JESUS CHRIST the noise was there. I'm getting mad.
Have to say I never replaced the power supply (but tried 2 with no success) and had a laconic mail from Peter saying "it's not broken".

RE: BATTERY
when you use the battery the recorded material drifts in tune making impossible to play in tune with other stuff..
The Grump
arnoux wrote:
I started using one of this "interface" cables I had with my BugBrand (the one with the ground):
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id =117
Problem between OP-1 and COCO solved.
I waited a bit playing a lot with this combination before posting and it looks like it works.. does it makes sense having them grounded together?

This is what I was referring to in the other thread regarding wires soaking up dirty power.
The Grump
Ummm yeah.
srogers
I started having the same issue with noise. Only had it for a couple days and was sending OP-1 into the main audio input (not piezo) and the delay feedback was crystal clear. Turned it on again later that night and there's more noise than there was before.

Even sending the triangle wave output signal into the cocos result in the same noise.
ignacio
This would be an interesting combo.
arnoux
Reviving this thread as finally I have my Coco here in Lisbon and I encountered again the ultra modulated pitched noise pumping into the delays, damn.

Overthinking about it brought me to remember the first time this issue appeared:

I was using a piezo on a cymbal, into the mic IN using one of these things > https://jezrileyfrench.co.uk/xlr-impedance-adaptors.php (Why one of these things? Because my piezo are 1/4 jack)

And now 2 questions:

- is it possible I damaged something in the circuit with a super hot voltage causing this issue?

- can we compile a list of recommended power supply to add to this thread?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173653&highlight=

Thanks in advance for your time,

Fabio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2