Wiggle Woggle?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Wiggle Woggle?

Post by tragedybysyntax » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 am

So I guess "Makenoise" is doing custom DIY Wogglebugs in euro? F'NG NEED ONE!!! Wish I had more time... I wouldent mind trying to build one u know? 25 bucks for the PCB + Parts..... I know he's selling them for like 400? lol.

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:52 pm

DIY it bro. it's way cheaper that way.

i'm pretty intent on getting the official 300 series Wogglebug, but i think i'm gonna try and get some of the Woggle pcb's in the meantime just in case worse comes to worse i don't get the official version. Plus even if i do end up with the 300 series it'd be cool to have some extra woggles on hand cuz i doubt i'll ever get more than one 300 series Woggle.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes, the woggle is essential, you get your random volt > S&H > VCO all in one module :party: , plus a bunch of other cool stuff, and that's just the single version.

I wish I had gone double. After I fired mine up I realized that the 300 version would be such an amazing instrument in it's own right.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:15 pm

neandrewthal wrote:Yes, the woggle is essential, you get your random volt > S&H > VCO all in one module :party: , plus a bunch of other cool stuff, and that's just the single version.

I wish I had gone double. After I fired mine up I realized that the 300 version would be such an amazing instrument in it's own right.
double version? i thought there was just one that omits a few of the 300 series version.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:10 pm

Kwote wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:Yes, the woggle is essential, you get your random volt > S&H > VCO all in one module :party: , plus a bunch of other cool stuff, and that's just the single version.

double version? i thought there was just one that omits a few of the 300 series version.

Ooh, yeah. By double I meant 2 PCBs + Ring modulator to imitate the 300 version.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:55 pm

I think 1 euro woggle in my system would be sexxy as shit...... K, I gotta hop on that soon as I get some DIY projects done that i've started. Need to work on some diy shit tonight now that i think about it.....LOL.

Is there anywhere that shows how to actually wire the pcb to pots and the jacks? Peace! :)

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:02 pm

i haven't actually taken the time to look it over but Scott just mailed me the project page:

http://diy.czmok.de/mod/gbuy/woggle.html
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

dubchild
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dubchild » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:13 pm

-----
Last edited by dubchild on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:24 pm

has anyone put two woggles behind a panel with ringmod ?
im waiting to do it, damn expensive vactrols.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:38 pm

dubchild
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dubchild » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:15 pm

-----
Last edited by dubchild on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:51 pm

I busted my SMT cherry on the DIY WoggleBug.
It was alot easier than I thought it would be.
Just put solder on one pad first.
Tweezer the cap into position.
Reheat pad to get the cap connected.
Then do the other side of the cap.
The hardest part is not losing the caps.
They are each about the size of a grain of rice.

I've been stuffing a bunch of boards and won't have front panel parts for a while.
When I do I'm going to have a flood of new modules getting finished!

Bricks
paper kettle

Post by Bricks » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:38 pm

I have one of these boards and have asked him to make me a frontpanel before, but he didn't seem interested.

When/where did makenoise announce hes regularly making them? I know he's made them in the past but didnt know there was any regularity

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:I've been stuffing a bunch of boards and won't have front panel parts for a while.
When I do I'm going to have a flood of new modules getting finished!
when you do post pics in the DIY section please. i can't wait to see all your projects.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49 pm

Someone sell me on this module? I don't get it. I understand that it's a chaotic CV source, but why do I need one?

I read this page and listened to the MP3 and I still don't get it.

http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/WoggleB ... leBug.html

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:14 pm

synthetic wrote:Someone sell me on this module? I don't get it. I understand that it's a chaotic CV source, but why do I need one?
It is much much more than a chaotic CV source! :) But to start there, it is by a significant margin the most *musical* chaotic noise source you will find short of the old Buchla gear that partially inspired it. [ed note: my comments below apply to one half of the Wiard 300 version, the DIY isn't that far off but forgive me if I describe a feature not included in the DIY one].

You get a clocked stepped voltage (woggly squarish waves) as well as a clocked smooth voltage (woggly sine waves). You can skip the clocking bit and run it off its own internal LFO. You can influence the generation of woggle events by putting a voltage into the "Disturb" input. You can alter the range of the CV output with the smooth and woggle range knobs, and ALSO control the maximum step size of each woggle with the cluster knob; this means you can create, for example, a very slow moving voltage that grows from 0-10V in a drunkards walk pattern, never moving more than, say, 3 semitones up or down in any one woggle. You can further alter the character of each woggle event with the woggle time knob; at minimum settings, this will go to the audio range.

When the woggle time knob is at minimum and those CVs go to audio, then on the dual 300 series WB you have EIGHT different audio outputs to play with. I end up using mine for audio much more than for CV, as things have turned out. If you "only" step through these with a sequential switch, you can make something like this: http://www.there.org/music/wogno.mp3 which is 100% Wogglebug audio with mild LPG filtering on everything and heavy filtering on the kick sound. With one Wogglebug and a good delay, you can make sci-fi soundtrack music and crazy noises all day long. Put some other source of the usual white noise through a filter and mod the filter with the smooth CV output of a wogglebug and you get beautiful wind/surf noises.

I have two 300 series. I am building two of the DIY also, with the hope that I can hack them and get CV control of woggle time, which is the knob that gets frobbed most often around here.

I guess you can say I'm a fan :) I can and do listen to wogglebug -> delay for hours on end some days.

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:30 pm

That was great, thanks.
:domodance: :domodance: :domodance:

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 pm

Was that all from one Wogglebug in one pass? Or multitracked? I assumed it was multitracked until it slowed up at the end.

Kwote

Post by Kwote » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:44 pm

plord wrote:I am building two of the DIY also, with the hope that I can hack them and get CV control of woggle time, which is the knob that gets frobbed most often around here.
please share your build success with us. i'd love that feature too!

i can't deny myself some form of woggle much longer so i'm gonna grab a couple pcb's pretty soon.
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:25 am

how important is the disturb feature plord?

i just designed my dual woggle faceplate and managed to fit 2 woggles bugs (without the disturb add-on) with XOR between then and a real ring modem on a 3x5U plate but i might have to ditch the modem if the distrub featrue is really worth adding on

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:08 am

hey can some people who have this module glance over my panel design and tell me if im missing anything important.
it is a dual woggle bug with a cgs real ring XOR'ing the audio outs. There is a DPDT on-on-on switch so i can send the any of the woggle/XOR/cluster tones into the main XOR.
since there was so many ring mults in the design i decided to go deeper and chucked in a dual real ring mod (modem) in the spare space :) so it is 3U wide, 5U tall.

just quickly whipped this up in photoshop, exact graphics still to be worked out, im just keen on functionality at the moment.

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:09 am

synthetic wrote:Was that all from one Wogglebug in one pass? Or multitracked? I assumed it was multitracked until it slowed up at the end.
The "Drums" are a dual wogglebug, with the kick LP filtered and the "hats" HP filtered. The rest of the noises are a dual Wogglebug's 8 audio outs stepped through a Metalbox Sequential Switch. Tempo was controlled by a joystick routed to the same envelope sweeping the LP filter on the kick.

Recorded in one pass :)

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 am

http://www.there.org/music/wogno.mp3 which is 100% Wogglebug audio with mild LPG filtering on everything and heavy filtering on the kick sound.
hehe wow :banana: :cheesy: :yay:

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:41 am

Luka wrote:how important is the disturb feature plord?

i just designed my dual woggle faceplate and managed to fit 2 woggles bugs (without the disturb add-on) with XOR between then and a real ring modem on a 3x5U plate but i might have to ditch the modem if the distrub featrue is really worth adding on
First off, I like your panel! the symmetry is pleasing :)

The disturb input is the only way to cause the Wogglebug to do something with input from an external keyboard or sequencer. The results aren't tonal or even predictable, necessarily, but if you leave it out you can clock the internal LFO, that's about it.

However, I just looked at the v.3 PCB that we're all using for DIY, and it's not obvious to me that the disturb input is available. :confused: So you should probably go with what you have :)

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:10 am

plord wrote:you can make something like this: http://www.there.org/music/wogno.mp3
That is fucking cool. :hail: to the woggle

Return to “Eurorack Modules”