MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Building a luminists garden?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Building a luminists garden?
DonKartofflo
Hey guys,
So i have been eyeballing the folktek luminist garden for a while now and while it certainly is a piece of art, it seems to me like something that could be reproduced rather simply, no?

Piezo mics, steel rods and so on. I remember seeing some diy versions flosting around but cant seem to find any trace of them now.

Can anybody point me to some resources or give some advice how to go about diying one?

Cheers
Don
cretaceousear
Never heard of Folktek before and I have the barest idea what would go into it.. but wow.. awesome stuff.
It strikes me lots of 'modular' should go down this route.
DonKartofflo
cretaceousear wrote:
Never heard of Folktek before and I have the barest idea what would go into it.. but wow.. awesome stuff.
It strikes me lots of 'modular' should go down this route.

while they have a reputation for high prices and so-so build quality, i agree. the ideas behind this stuff are most dope.

have you seen their "matter" and "conduit" euro modules? very beautiful and innovative
Nofrenchtests
They appear to literally be boxes of stuff with piezos, with that in mind I doubt you could go wrong, maybe a VCA if you're feeling fancy. Check out Tom Whitwells recent medium article for how to make an Mbira Medium
DonKartofflo
awesome, thanks SlayerBadger!
igowen
I made a luminist-style controller by soldering some guitar string scraps to a piezo and mounting it in a wood block. I used a Music Thing Mikrophonie as a preamp for it. you can check out my posts in the MI Rings thread for more details and photos.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/igowen/stringsrings[/s]
wmctavishnusic
Wanted to revive this thread because I seriously want to do this. A little background...

I'm sort of unreasonably obsessed with the sound of this thing. Actually, really just it's behavior with max delay time where it creates loops. I know usually the answer when someone really really loves something is "so just bite the bullet and get it" but I think, like many, I have a pretty solid guess at what's going on beneath the box, and it's just SO hard to justify paying that price when it could be replicated for half, if not less, of the price.

Being as it's mostly just the looping sounds I love, I'm really just talking Micro Garden here. The sounds I've heard out of the micros are enough for me. Droning/ambient capabilities are just a bonus.

So let's take stock of what's reasonably needed here...

-Contact mic(s) (thoughts on placement?)

-Delay capable of both infinite feedback, as well as delay times of 1.5 seconds or more. (Gut a Behringer pedal?)

-String cuttings

-Top plate of some kind of metal

-Wood housing

Place mics, connect direct to harvested delay, drill a hole for the out... Right? While the sound will of course be different, in principle, I have to think this is about all one would need to do.
EATyourGUITAR
behringer is the cheapest BBD you can buy new
Reese P. Dubin
having physically repaired one, i will tell you how to make one yourself:

get a thin copper plate, drill a few holes into it. get some 6" pieces of wound guitar string and jam some in each hole until its full. glob them in place with hot glue. Glue a peizo to the underside of the copper.

take the case off of a behringer delay pedal and drill three holes in it for the knobs to stick thru. cut a cheap hosa patch cord in half, put one half into the input and one in the output. now connect the peizo to the input wires. by connect I dont mean solder, twist the wires together, apply a glob of hot glue and then squeeze the glob with a little piece of electrical tape. do the same from the output to a 1/4" jack.

power it all from a battery or one spot. stick a 1k resistor on an LED and put it inside a piece of lucite.

this is a fun thing to play with, but it should have cost $125-150.
wmctavishnusic
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
having physically repaired one, i will tell you how to make one yourself:

get a thin copper plate, drill a few holes into it. get some 6" pieces of wound guitar string and jam some in each hole until its full. glob them in place with hot glue. Glue a peizo to the underside of the copper.

take the case off of a behringer delay pedal and drill three holes in it for the knobs to stick thru. cut a cheap hosa patch cord in half, put one half into the input and one in the output. now connect the peizo to the input wires. by connect I dont mean solder, twist the wires together, apply a glob of hot glue and then squeeze the glob with a little piece of electrical tape. do the same from the output to a 1/4" jack.

power it all from a battery or one spot. stick a 1k resistor on an LED and put it inside a piece of lucite.

this is a fun thing to play with, but it should have cost $125-150.

You rule!
nangu
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
by connect I dont mean solder. twist the wires together, apply a glob of hot glue and then squeeze the glob with a little piece of electrical tape.

There might actually be a reason for this. Not a particularly good reason, but a reason nonetheless..

I recently tried to repair an adaptor that had been made by someone else from a repurposed cable- it could easily have been a Hosa cable. The problem was a bad solder joint. One of the wires in the scavenged cable simply could not be tinned or soldered to. I suspect that it was aluminum or something that could be welded at a factory, but was utterly incapable of taking normal solder.

If I had been creative enough to think of doing such a thing, twisting the wires together and then hot gluing them might have actually worked. Instead, I made a cute little breakout box using some jacks and a plastic container. It's the type of 2" Tupperware cube that you can find at craft stores for keeping beads in or whatever.
Addam
Like a little travel-sized Harry Bertoia setup hihi

Alternately, if you have delays/loopers, reverbs and such already you can wire one of these pre-amps between the piezo and an output jack. Why not do two piezos! Stereo kind of!

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/acoustic-piezo-preamp.html

I'm thinking this would have some fun applications run through an envelope follower too. Hmm

Please update if you do make your own version!
Reese P. Dubin
Funny enough, I have a ton of hands on experience with Bertoias as well.
Can say they were better made than folktek.
Addam
Ah, awesome! I live in NY so really have no excuse to not try and get over there and check it out in person.. but it is on my to-do list!
DanTel
DonKartofflo wrote:
Hey guys,
So i have been eyeballing the folktek luminist garden for a while now and while it certainly is a piece of art, it seems to me like something that could be reproduced rather simply, no?

Piezo mics, steel rods and so on. I remember seeing some diy versions flosting around but cant seem to find any trace of them now.

Can anybody point me to some resources or give some advice how to go about diying one?

Cheers
Don
wmctavishnusic
Reviving this just to say that I'm finally getting around to building this (more or less to spec... sort of less. I guess it is a bit of a departure, what I'm making). Hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend. Audio, video and pictures to follow, including as detailed as possible of a walk through.
BugBrand
I put this up years ago - http://bugbrand.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/stringthing-diy.html - covers the piezo/strings bit.
noisejockey
Sean Curtis Patrick (aka Assembler Responder, modular user but don't know his MW handle) has been prototyping his own: Seems like they're just piezos in a housing, and you just stick bits into holes so that they contact the piezos, and it creates sound. He has these little brass tubes that he sticks wires into.

Look around his instagram feed and he's got examples here and there.
satori
Never knew of this instrument! Sounds amazing and i'd love to experiment in building one. Looking forward to your walkthrough of your build smile
drip.feed
woah we're not worthy
sleepgardens
wmctavishnusic wrote:
Reviving this just to say that I'm finally getting around to building this (more or less to spec... sort of less. I guess it is a bit of a departure, what I'm making). Hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend. Audio, video and pictures to follow, including as detailed as possible of a walk through.

I was thinking about making a clone for a while... Can't wait for taking inspiration from your build! Thank you for any info you can share!
sleepgardens
wmctavishnusic wrote:

I was thinking about making a clone for a while, maybe with the electric druid digidelay (up to 4s delay time) or with a clone of the deepblue delay (definitely more lo-fi that the electric druid one, but maybe for this project is better) insiede... Can't wait for taking inspiration from your build! Thank you for any info you can share!
wmctavishnusic
Alright so here's a quick video demoing this... thing. Now, to any who were looking forward to the build - that video will be coming shortly. However, as will be immediately evident, I chose to skip the delay & reverb circuits. I know that may elicit dissapointment. But the reasons being: I enjoy the flexibility of doing delay/reverb ITB, and it made buiding this easier, obviously.

So all in all, this cost me roughly $50 in materials - obviously if you want reverb/delay in the actual unit, that price jumps up. But I'm super satisfied with the sounds I'm getting so far - to me, it really solidifies the notion floating around that no one should be shelling out $450-$1250 for these things from Folktek. NO disrespect to them, they obviously do great work, and god knows theirs looks a hell of a lot prettier than mine. But... c'mon.

Anyway, enjoy the piece, and I'll try and have the build vid up in the next 24-48 hours. The signal path from the box is pretty much dry, besides the delay for looping. Just a bit of reverb. There is an airy drone thing from the modular in the background.

I should probably come up with a name for this thing.

lohacker
Nice work and great performance thumbs up
I'm going to source materials to build one myself, thanks wmctavishnusic!
satori
what metal and how thick is the top plate?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2