MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dynacord DRP 20 noise question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Dynacord DRP 20 noise question
disp
Hey guys,

I think some of you have a Dynacord DRP 20, at least I read about it here some time ago.

Anyhow, I just bought one of these fine units.

Are they supposed to be this noisy? I'm afraid I got a faulty unit.

Here's a sound example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o49stz05351em7/drp20.wav?dl=0

This is preset F23 (Two Channel Echo), 100% wet.

That's a bit hardcore, right? I really don't believe it's supposed to be this noisy.
Most reverb presets seem to be fine though. So far the noise apparently is an issue with the echo algorithm.

Anybody able to chime in?

Thanks!
ChrisR
Try reseating the connectors inside, that might help. It helped with my unit, ymmv. Good luck!
disp
ChrisR wrote:
Try reseating the connectors inside, that might help. It helped with my unit, ymmv. Good luck!

Thanks!
But, uhm, can you guide me a little bit here? What exactly am I looking for inside the unit? I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics.
ChrisR
Ok, first unplug the unit from the mains. Then remove the top and look for the connectors i marked with red arrows (there are probably some more which cannot be seen in the pic). Now simply unplug a connector and plug it back in, maybe even several times. That should wipe away the oxide layer and re-establish a proper connection.
At least that procedure fixed the noise issue with my unit. It was only the connector on the right which was causing the noise.

Hope that helps.

ChrisR
disp wrote:
Most reverb presets seem to be fine though. So far the noise apparently is an issue with the echo algorithm.

Oops. I missed this part of your post. d'oh!
Mine was noisy with *all* algos due to some contact problem.
In your case it's probably just the delay algo. Maybe try adjusting HF-Damp and Treble parameters?
disp
These posts are amazing. Thanks! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
I'll try both suggestions later today.
disp
ChrisR wrote:
Ok, first unplug the unit from the mains. Then remove the top and look for the connectors i marked with red arrows (there are probably some more which cannot be seen in the pic). Now simply unplug a connector and plug it back in, maybe even several times. That should wipe away the oxide layer and re-establish a proper connection.
At least that procedure fixed the noise issue with my unit. It was only the connector on the right which was causing the noise.

Hope that helps.

So I finally did this.
At first it seemed to help a lot!
But one hour after closing the unit the noise came back again.
The room presets for example are extremely distorted.

Here's an example. I'm slowly turning up the reverb. You can clearly hear the noise and the distortion:
DROPBOX WAV FILE LINK

Any more input/help from anyone?
maltemark
I have managed to contact someone at dynacord/ Bosch to help me update firmware from 4.1 to 4.3 , after reading about noise levels being improved with in later firmwares.

I got this
Quote:
response:

"firmware of the front panel controller (display, etc.)

-> this firmware can’t be updated.

b. The Firmware 4.1 is responsible for the DSP (presets, etc.)

-> this can be updated by exchanging/reprogramming the EPROM IC.

i. The main changes in newer firmware (4.2, 4.3) were related to preset names, the sorting/order of presets and original/effect signal gains.

ii. It should not have an effect on the general noise floor of the unit, but who knows… maybe the different gains in the DSP presets affect the noise floor
."
doombient.music
I used to have a white-face DRP-20 which was annoyingly noisy -- I always ran reverb tails through an RSP Hush 2000 in order to come to grips with the noise trails. Also, the key switches were no longer responsive at all and needed replacement... I ended up selling it because I was so utterly frustrated. Bought a DRP-15 instead which is a lot cleaner by comparison but maximum reverb times are 20 seconds... thus the Cathedral patch of the 20 seems to be out of the question.

I missed it so much I ended up buying a black-face DRP-20 earlier this year which is considerably less noisy. Still noisy but not noisier than, say, a PCM-70 or the likes.

I really enjoy this reverb, it sounds gorgeous.

Stephen
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1