MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Motm 650 : i need help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Motm 650 : i need help
Funky40
Hello,

1 ) which Voice assignement do i need to run a 2Voice polyphonic patch in 2/2 setting.
( which to run a 4 voice polyphonic patch ? )

what i need:
first keypress: first note/ out 1 on the m650
second keypress: second note / out 2 on the M650
and so on in a repeating mode
( as i would set the voicenumber on a G2 to 2 respectivly 4 voices )
synthetic
Sounds like you set it up right. Do you have the 650 manual? I don't see the PDF on the Synthtech site but I can email it to you if you need it.
synthetic
Just found this hidden page on the site. It has the manual, menu chart and a tutorial video. (I also emailed the PDFs it to you, this is for the archives.)

http://www.synthtech.com/m650/
Funky40
thank you
Funky40
Paul, i would like to hear from you

i DON'T get a polyphonic voice running where i can play and hold one note, and play another note outputting on out 2.
the settings of the module is simple...............
i just tryed all different voice allocation modes.
Now again with the manual open
It is impossible for me to get a polyphonic voice running that is behaving as one knows it from any normal keyboard

i tryed with two keyboards: Edirol PCR-300 and Yamaha Motif ES,
both connected directly without a midiinterface inbetween.

my setting is:
voicegroup set to 2/2 respectivly 4.
voiceallocationmode: tryed all , especially all polyphonic modes.
did this now the third time within the last months.
nada. never got a polyphonic voice running as should be
JohnLRice
Hi,

I don't have a G2 (Nord?) so I can't compare. If I'm understanding you correctly, you want something like voicegroup set to 2/2 and Solo Rotate, only a "Poly Rotate" (that doesn't exist) so that both notes can sustain.

I may be wrong but I don't think that is possible.

You should try writing Paul S directly, he's usually good about getting back to people.

Best of luck!
Funky40
JohnLRice wrote:
................ so that both notes can sustain.

I may be wrong but I don't think that is possible.

yup, thats how it looks to me

JohnLRice wrote:

You should try writing Paul S directly, he's usually good about getting back to people.

IMO here is the best place to get Paul

thanks
paults
I don't have access to a '650 until Saturday to look this over, will reply this weekend (having to move my ailing mother-in-law to a nursing home, quite traumatic at home right now).
russma
sorry to hear it Paul. Good luck.
cornutt
Funky40 wrote:
Hello,

what i need:

If I understand properly what you're asking for, Poly 1 or Poly 1 Steal mode should do what you want. However, there is something you need to check: Go into your global options, go to the Priority parameter, and make sure it is set to LastNote. If it is set to anything else, none of poly modes will work properly.
JohnLRice
paults wrote:
(having to move my ailing mother-in-law to a nursing home, quite traumatic at home right now).

So sorry to hear this! sad banana I hope it is as easy a transition as possible for all involved!
Funky40
cornutt wrote:
Funky40 wrote:
Hello,

what i need:

If I understand properly what you're asking for, Poly 1 or Poly 1 Steal mode should do what you want. However, there is something you need to check: Go into your global options, go to the Priority parameter, and make sure it is set to LastNote. If it is set to anything else, none of poly modes will work properly.

thank you, i gonna try this.

Quote:
However, there is something you need to check: Go into your global options, go to the Priority parameter, and make sure it is set to LastNote

hmmm, this was set to last note when i installed and programmed the unit.
But when i checked yesterday it was set to low note.
I had some crashes with the unit. Then the unit changed allways the voicemode.
forgot to reprogramm everything.....
sounds as here is the solution, I'll report back
paults
Now you know why I have a new SW guy Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
cornutt
paults wrote:
Now you know why I have a new SW guy Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana

I was wondering where that stood... I was thinking about offering my services if you couldn't find anybody. I've done a good bit of embedded code in my time.
synthetic
We've been promised a 650 software update since 2008. I think that's when Windows Vista came out.
jfm3
synthetic wrote:
We've been promised a 650 software update since 2008. I think that's when Windows Vista came out.

What do you mean "we"? I don't remember anybody promising me anything. There issues are all well known, and detailed on the mailing list. Many of "we" are quite happy with our 650's, even with the clock bugs. If you can't live with the bugs, you can get a refund. If you've owned the damned thing so long that a refund would mean basically "free indefinite rental", you can probably resell it at cost. The two or three of 'em I've seen go up for sale have sold at cost, give or take some shipping charges. Or hold on to it and pipe up to complain every time someone tries to say something good about it, or help someone with theirs, that's fine by me too. Just please don't put me in with the "we", no matter how frustrated you are.
synthetic
Looking at my email archive, the old programmer promised to look at it in 2006, then August 2008, then maybe Paul was going to change the processor in the 650, then again April 2009 uodate was coming, August 2009 send a bug report to Jeffrey, October 2009 mentioned you could dump a microtuning table over SYSEX in the next update, I'm sure I missed a few.

jfm3, yours has never crashed? Lucky you. Paul brought up the SW update not me.
paults
Not's not bicker. It is what it is. It has 3 known, well-documented bugs. Either you can work around them or chose not to. Despite the bugs:

a) it's STILL the most accurate MIDI-CV money can buy

b) it STILL is the ONLY MIDI-CV with tuning tables

c) it's STILL the only MIDI-CV with dual arpeggiators

d) and it STILL has 16 simulataneous outputs that you can map all sorts of ways (just not all *possible* ways)

Besides, there are "flaws" even in my analog modules as well, it's just that it's not as obvious or no one seems to be bothered by them.
Nelson Baboon
I, stupidly sold mine because I didn't think I'd be needing another midi to cv beyond my MAPS sequencer. Of course, now things have changed, and I need to find one, but that's immaterial.

I followed the mailing list, I've communicated with Paul personally, etc. I've always found him to be totally up front and honorable. I know that he offered a refund, but I never thought of taking it because, frankly, I wasn't selling because of the known issues. So, I did take a loss, but that's fine. I'm not into cheating people.

In any case - it always worked just fine for me. Occasionally I had to turn it off and then on again, but that was nothing major.
synthetic
No one would care if it wasn't a great product. Make it a paid upgrade if you like, I'll pay for it. I just hate software that crashes, because I know it will crash at the worst possible moment that I'm counting on it...
MindMachine
jfm3 wrote:
synthetic wrote:

What do you mean "we"? I don't remember anybody promising me anything. There issues are all well known, and detailed on the mailing list. Many of "we" are quite happy with our 650's, even with the clock bugs. If you can't live with the bugs, you can get a refund. If you've owned the damned thing so long that a refund would mean basically "free indefinite rental", you can probably resell it at cost. The two or three of 'em I've seen go up for sale have sold at cost, give or take some shipping charges. Or hold on to it and pipe up to complain every time someone tries to say something good about it, or help someone with theirs, that's fine by me too. Just please don't put me in with the "we", no matter how frustrated you are.

I checked the dictionary and 'We' does not automatically include jfm3 in every use of the word. Pretty amazing, no??????

Paul thanks for pointing out all of the great things that this module does do. This kind of reinforcement is what most expect from MOTM. SlayerBadger!

Thank you to Synthetic for doing some customer service for MOTM, while being bashed and questioned by the users and makers of the very unit in question.

Good god... Soapbox
paults
a) I would have upgraded it years ago *if* I had the source code. I don't, it wasn't part of the deal because it was based on another commercial product at the time.

b) yes, it *is possible* to have another person rewrite the code for the same CPU (a special version of the 8051 family) but the issue is not so much with the 'code' as it is with the CPU itself. Mainly, the limited (by today's standards) of internal RAM. THis CPU version has hardware assistance for timers (it has like 16ea of 16-bit timers instead of the usual *2*) but only 1.2K of RAM (which for 8051s was HUGE at the time).

Today's CPUs can have up to 64K of internal RAM (not program storage, RAM) and the issues with the MOTM-650 have to do with all the extreme internal 'juggling' of this RAM allocation for MIDI buffers, the arpeggiator buffers, general variable storage, etc. If I took out the arpeggiators, then no problem but that is a HUGE '650 benefit.

I could also design a new CPU card with a modern ARM processor (and get 2 more benefits: 32-bit CPU and it runs about 8X faster) and yet again another code rewrite but would rather spend that time and $$$ on new module R&D (I guess this would qualify as a 'new' module in a sense) and maybe in 18 months I might. Maybe.

Although I have not spent the time to do a long, thorough analysis, I suspect the majority of issues (not the external clock for arpeggiators) has to do with the amount of MIDI traffic the unit 'sees'. Just from speaking to people that have the most problems, it appears that their source of MIDI data (keyboard, SW sequencer, whatever) tend to 'spew' a huge abount of MIDI traffic that is not needed, but the SW designers of the source are like "it's not in the spec that we CAN'T and so we do and you go figure it out because it made our job easier, tough sh*t". A good example is a Kurzweil Midiboard. This large about of data will 'swamp' the internal MIDI buffer in the '650. I have a StudioLogic 161 MIDI controller and I guess it is 'well-behaved' because it only sends the MIDI data "on demand" and then only the relavant data (mainly, when that data *changes state*). The other 'sloppy' controllers happily spew data constantaly (especially newer ones).
megaohm
paults wrote:
I suspect the majority of issues (not the external clock for arpeggiators) has to do with the amount of MIDI traffic the unit 'sees'.

Perhaps a solution for users who are sending MIDI from a computer is to use a simple MIDI filter utility.
JohnLRice
megaohm wrote:
paults wrote:
I suspect the majority of issues (not the external clock for arpeggiators) has to do with the amount of MIDI traffic the unit 'sees'.

Perhaps a solution for users who are sending MIDI from a computer is to use a simple MIDI filter utility.

There is a hardware solution that might work also for a little over $100:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm#

But you'd need a computer with a MIDI interface to program it.
synthetic
Wouldn't the MIDI light be constantly glowing if this were the case? I only see it light when I send note or controller data. I also don't see my MIDI interface lighting up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2