MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Video walls
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Video walls
Chickenbone
How does one go about assembling a video wall for doing video synth wiggling? Can you use hdtvs or crts? If you were going the crt route what kind of controller would you need. I've been looking on here and see some people have done it but I don't see much that I understand. Thanks guys smile
FetidEye
You can go the DIY route and use PI's

but I think that the input is digital

or the (analog or digital) pro way (still costs much I think)
and use a matrix splitter / processor
nickciontea
https://www.instagram.com/p/5IeAyOBsTF/?taken-by=brownshoesonly

built this wall up for $25k

custom front end programming on the Raspberry PiWall system noted above to use live input and analog rather than digital.

PiWALL is meant mostly for digital playback systems (not live input)

video walls are not easy
Chickenbone
That looks so nice! 25k sounds like a lot for a bunch of crt's, was the cost just in having to buy a pi for every screen? Did you program the front end yourself? I love these so much when I see these online and I know it would blow minds here.
nickciontea
spent 8k on tvs.. 100 stackable broadcast monitors. 100 raspberry pi. 2k in programming/consultation. over 1k in network hardware. and then staging/transportation. etc. the list goes on. we also purchased other items for the install

(rough numbers)
Chickenbone
Oh my word, that is a lot of tv's. Its probably far off from being achievable by me but I don't think I will need 100 tvs, but that must have been the coolest setup on the planet!
tronotape
For the band that I'm in I use a DIY transmitter and hook up about 6-7 CRT tv's to antenna's. The setup can be a bit tedious because you have to adjust the transmitter and also go through each tv's channels to find the correct one. The more tv's you use the more difficult that task becomes, but I find that it is totally worth the effort.
http://crackedraytube.com/pdfs/building_a_diy_transmitter.pdf
Chickenbone
tronotape, that is so cool. I will begin the building of these devices. Thanks for the link!
tronotape
Chickenbone wrote:
tronotape, that is so cool. I will begin the building of these devices. Thanks for the link!

No problem. I would highly recommend changing the variable caps out for some that are more easily adjustable. I wish I would have done that because fiddling with them in a dark venue can be a pain. Also, I forgot to mention, but if you just want the same thing on all of the tv's you can use a single transmitter (that's what I do, because the signals will vary quite a bit so they all have their own distinct flavor). FYI these transmitters only works on older CRT's that go to static when they aren't picking up a signal. If the tv blue screens don't bother with it.

Plug all of the tv's in - calibrate the transmitter so at least one of the tv's has a strong signal - search through the channels on the other tv's until they have a pretty decent signal (the tv's I have pick up the signal all over the place, channel 3,8,26,55,etc.) - fine tune the calibration - blow people's freaking minds.

Good Luck! Feel free to message me if you have anymore questions about it.
Dirty_Bill
Chickenbone wrote:
How does one go about assembling a video wall for doing video synth wiggling? Can you use hdtvs or crts? If you were going the crt route what kind of controller would you need. I've been looking on here and see some people have done it but I don't see much that I understand. Thanks guys smile

A video wall controller is the most straightforward way to do it, but as pointed out here, they're expensive. The controllers come up used on Ebay sometimes for not too much $$$.

Also, many commercial LCD flat panel displays have built in wall controllers (I have NEC v321's that I picked up surplus for $100 each, they'll do up to 5x5 matrix). Finding a a pair of these used is probably the most economical way to do it, but you'll likely need to upscale the NTSC signal before you hit the panels to get full screen video.
mk
Hi all. I got pretty excited when i first saw nick's awesome rig and was fortunate enough to get my hands on a pile of assorted old CRTs — these things used to be the bomb, now they're cheap and stack up well. This collection cost me about $500 aussie for 19 units of varying quality. I play prerecorded loops through a number of media players/splitters, a vey cheap solution to getting some great visuals happening. it's repetitive in that the screens all display the same image, or one of 3 images, but who doesn't like repetition... you could probably output into the splitters via a video mixer and have some live action. loads of fun.

evolve
6 output video cards like what stock traders use, might work for you.
Dirty_Bill
evolve wrote:
6 output video cards like what stock traders use, might work for you.

If the signals originated in the computer realm, perhaps. Would still need 6 DVI/VGA to Composite converters or native digital displays, perhaps not what the OP had in mind...
nerdware
I'd use a bunch of Rasperry Pis. No need to network them if you can set them to run a looping video player on bootup. If a TV doesn't have a composite or HDMI input, add an RF modular box. You can find them cheap enough on eBay.
Chickenbone
Oh man these video walls are making me go crazy.

Dirty_Bill
you're right, I'd like to maintain an analogue setup, but even with a computer the images can be scaled more easily down than they can up,l in terms of quality right?

nerdware
Thanks for the suggestion. I really have a lot to sort out with this. It seems like the raspberry pi is a lot of people's go to solution. I might as well try both this and the short distance transmitter suggested earlier.
Chickenbone
Dirty_Bill
These monitors you have are pretty amazing as far as I'm reading from the manuals. What kind of NTSC scaler would you recommend? the monitors accept RGB, S-video, and composite inputs. So would a scaler be for making the video HD in order to play in sync and without lag?
lorenzovektor
Although it may not be inexpensive it is very effective, you can use large LCD tv's too and an HDMI video wall controller like this:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-vwc-144.jsp?prod_id=14708
Chickenbone
Now would you need a converter to send an LZX signal via HDMI? I know the line rate is shorter with these modules.
evolve
lorenzovektor wrote:
Although it may not be inexpensive it is very effective, you can use large LCD tv's too and an HDMI video wall controller like this:

There's one on ebay right now, but it's like 1200$. They are always super expensive! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=video%20wall%20 controller&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_trksid=p2045573.m 1684
Dirty_Bill
Chickenbone wrote:
Now would you need a converter to send an LZX signal via HDMI? I know the line rate is shorter with these modules.

You would need s scaler (I dont think it would make sense to use a cheap 'HDMI converter without hardware scaling) to convert composite or componant to HDMI.
Dirty_Bill
Chickenbone wrote:
Oh man these video walls are making me go crazy.

Dirty_Bill
you're right, I'd like to maintain an analogue setup, but even with a computer the images can be scaled more easily down than they can up,l in terms of quality rig

Sorry, I missed this question 6 months ago! It's alwasy easier to throw away pixels than to add ones that don't exist.
lorenzovektor
evolve wrote:
lorenzovektor wrote:

There's one on ebay right now, but it's like 1200$. They are always super expensive! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=video%20wall%20 controller&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_trksid=p2045573.m 1684

You will need some sort of scan converter, I'm a big fan of Barco ImagePros but they're also not cheap, but I guarantee it will convert anything. I think Aja and Gefen also make some lower cost scan converters.
n3wt15
ive been collecting cracked and burnt pixel lcd screens for a while looking forward to doing this sometime soon, basically going to use multiple video mixers and split the outputs. This topic gave me a reminder and I need to hook it all up soon :-)
Chickenbone
n3wt15 are you planning something that will get you different video outputs at several different stages of the mix? I just bought one of these for traveling and I was wondering how I would be able to split the signals among these monitors in order to see the different layers?

DSC
That's the direction I went. I just made a custom panel to port the connections to the front. I used the remaining space to incorporate a LZX Cyclops and a DB25 switcher for all of my ILDA stuff!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2