MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5u Korg 700 series sounding filter.. ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 5u Korg 700 series sounding filter.. ?
josaka
anything sound close smile ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-dx6ONsi0
a100user
Oakley Jouneyman

http://www.oakleysound.com/journey.htm
sduck
I loved the "traveler" fader controllers of the 700. There was a guy who was developing a euro clone of the 700 filter - he had a thread in the General Modular forum, but I don't know if that panned out or what happened. I was trying to get him to make the PCBs available for DIY into other formats, which he sounded amenable to, but perhaps budgeting and marketing obligations changed that plan, or maybe not. But the Journeyman sounds like a good alternative, and is available now....
josaka
heard a few journeyman "demos" didn't scream 700 ..
does sound sweet however.. !!
maybe the wrong sounds in the demos though.. smile
a100user
Thing with the Jouneyman is that you really need two, one set in LP and the other in HP to get the traveller filter proper.

sduck, yes I was following that development and the prototype sounded great. I wonder what happen to the project?
josaka
a100user wrote:
Thing with the Jouneyman is that you really need two, one set in LP and the other in HP to get the traveller filter proper.

yes .. was just reading that.. might have to be done.. shame there are no demos around of this..
Ockeghem
The other Korg filter where two are better than one...MOTM 420!
I wonder what you get when you try it with one Journeyman in high pass mode and one 420 in low pass mode?
hmmm.....
Synthbuilder
a100user wrote:

Yeah, you definitely need the two to get the full Korg thang going on. I've only got one in my system for the moment but I understand that it would be nice to have some more demos. I probably should get some videos done but my camera's old and simple. One of these days I'll sort something out, but in the meantime if anyone wants to do a vid or two then I'm sure I won't be the only one who will appreciate it.

And it is a clone of the 700's filter but with a fully controllable resonance. The issue 1 boards are an exact clone of the VCF module but I changed the CV circuitry in issue 2 to make it easier to calibrate and less temperature sensitive.

Last point, don't forget the tone of the VCOs too and the overdriven VCAs to get the real Korg vibe going. My 2U wide VCO is very Moogy, the 1U one very Rolandy but I don't have an early Korg discrete VCO at all. I am thinking about doing something like this at some point.

Tony
josaka
Synthbuilder wrote:
a100user wrote:

Yeah, you definitely need the two to get the full Korg thang going on. I've only got one in my system for the moment but I understand that it would be nice to have some more demos. I probably should get some videos done but my camera's old and simple. One of these days I'll sort something out, but in the meantime if anyone wants to do a vid or two then I'm sure I won't be the only one who will appreciate it.

And it is a clone of the 700's filter but with a fully controllable resonance. The issue 1 boards are an exact clone of the VCF module but I changed the CV circuitry in issue 2 to make it easier to calibrate and less temperature sensitive.

Last point, don't forget the tone of the VCOs too and the overdriven VCAs to get the real Korg vibe going. My 2U wide VCO is very Moogy, the 1U one very Rolandy but I don't have an early Korg discrete VCO at all. I am thinking about doing something like this at some point.
that would be great those early Korg/Yamaha VCO's are proper.. I have a 800DV ..which is amazing .. like to see some of the crazy vco's "re-done" EML. ? got a 101 and a model 500 great for crazy.. also read you were re-doing a 303 pcb .. is that just a myth? that "djthomaswhite video" filter you built is really something.. beyond 303.. thanks for all your effort btw.. epic smile
krisp14u
I did some demos for some one a while back
Cant remember much about what was what but they may be of some help w00t

JourneymanLP-HP2
JM parallel LP-HP
Journeyman LP-HP1
Journeyman noise LP-HP
josaka
thanks Paul.. they do sound amazing in parallel .. smile

nice and "rubbery" ..
jkjelec
I think the Korg 700 filters are in series; high pass first then low pass. I could be wrong though.
Synthbuilder
josaka wrote:
... also read you were re-doing a 303 pcb .. is that just a myth? that "djthomaswhite video" filter you built is really something.. beyond 303...

No plans as yet to do anything further with the 303 design. I cloned the analogue parts of the 303 in the now deleted TB3030, TB3031 and TM3030. And I borrowed heavily on its filter design when I built the original issue 1 and issue 2 Superladder back in the late 90s.

Now that filter in the YouTube video is a homebuilt version 3 of the Superladder - that's quite a bit different from the early issues. I think that particular one in the YouTube video has its own sound. It is unlikely any other Superladder 3 sounded exactly like Thomas' one - but that's sometimes the nature of analogue electronics. It also likely to be because of his VCOs, VCAs, EGs and a big dose of YouTube compression.

It is odd that people call that one the Oakley 303 filter because the Superladder 3 was as about as far from the TB303's filter design as you can get without changing the basic topology. It is a diode ladder filter but it pretty much stops there as far as comparisons go with the 303. Indeed, running the unit in one pole mode takes you even further from the 303 sound.

The interesting thing about the SL3 is that as you turn up the resonance it drives the ladder much harder in an attempt to keep the output level constant. This does overdrive the ladder and gives you a distinctive sound - the input signal starts to modulate the cut-off frequency and produces the fluttering you hear. Some of the other early Roland synths achieved resonance level compensation in the same way but oddly enough not the TB303.

The current Diode Superladder features a much more straightforward feedback (resonance) path and is more like a 303 in that respect. It also boosts the output to keep the output level with an increase in resonance, again like 303. Whether it sounds like a 303 is difficult to tell because the 303 is so much more than its filter.

Tony
Synthbuilder
jkjelec wrote:
I think the Korg 700 filters are in series; high pass first then low pass. I could be wrong though.

No, you're right. The Korgs used HP and then LP in the 700, 770 and 800.

Yamaha used LP and then HP in the SY1 and SY2.

Both the Yamaha and Korg 'diode ring' filters in these machines are very similar in basic topology.

Tony
josaka
Synthbuilder wrote:

No plans as yet to do anything further with the 303 design. I cloned the analogue parts of the 303 in the now deleted TB3030, TB3031 and TM3030. And I borrowed heavily on its filter design when I built the original issue 1 and issue 2 Superladder back in the late 90s.

Now that filter in the YouTube video is a homebuilt version 3 of the Superladder - that's quite a bit different from the early issues. I think that particular one in the YouTube video has its own sound. It is unlikely any other Superladder 3 sounded exactly like Thomas' one - but that's sometimes the nature of analogue electronics. It also likely to be because of his VCOs, VCAs, EGs and a big dose of YouTube compression.

It is odd that people call that one the Oakley 303 filter because the Superladder 3 was as about as far from the TB303's filter design as you can get without changing the basic topology. It is a diode ladder filter but it pretty much stops there as far as comparisons go with the 303. Indeed, running the unit in one pole mode takes you even further from the 303 sound.

The interesting thing about the SL3 is that as you turn up the resonance it drives the ladder much harder in an attempt to keep the output level constant. This does overdrive the ladder and gives you a distinctive sound - the input signal starts to modulate the cut-off frequency and produces the fluttering you hear. Some of the other early Roland synths achieved resonance level compensation in the same way but oddly enough not the TB303.

The current Diode Superladder features a much more straightforward feedback (resonance) path and is more like a 303 in that respect. It also boosts the output to keep the output level with an increase in resonance, again like 303. Whether it sounds like a 303 is difficult to tell because the 303 is so much more than its filter.

Tony

strangely not the biggest 303 fan.. well.. the high resonance part at least..
I like the "ripping" and the warm mid tones (can hear a lot of this in the journeyman ..which is nice smile ) ..for me that's why the filter in youtube video works.. and indeed surpasses any 303 I have heard.. a new type of filter possibly? the ripper? smile anyway... thank you for your input on this..
Firechild
I was very close to buy a Korg700S but then I found out I already had two Journeyman filters!
So, I just had to try to create THE classic Korg Minikorg 700S Kitaro Lead sound.
Here we go, the intro lead from Silk Road now mainly on Oakley modular stuff except Corsynth Odyssey of sound VCO.

https://soundcloud.com/mrfirechild/silkroad-minikorg-700s-lead-with-oa kleyjourneyman
Dr Gris
Very nice sounding.
Thanks Firechild!

//M
milkshake
[shameless plug]

I have a 2U journeyman for sale.

[/shameless plug]
Dr Gris
milkshake wrote:
[shameless plug]

I have a 2U journeyman for sale.

[/shameless plug]

Hmmm...I really shouldn't....but...
Might be interested. You can PM me details.
I'm in Sweden.

Cheers
//M
Thalassa
Firechild wrote:
Here we go, the intro lead from Silk Road now mainly on Oakley modular stuff except Corsynth Odyssey of sound VCO.

https://soundcloud.com/mrfirechild/silkroad-minikorg-700s-lead-with-oa kleyjourneyman

it sounds exactly like the original one !! Good work. applause
josaka
this is a great take on the 700 filter.. Euro again though.. sigh..sad banana

dhergott1
MOTM 480 has a similar HP cascading to LP. Another great sounding filter.

http://synthtech.com/motm/480/
josaka
MOTM480 is based on the CS80 filter its designed by A member here OldCrow..

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/yamaha/cs80/index.html

the cs80 is quite different sounding to the korg.. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1