MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

So how do you like your Verbos Scan&Pan?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author So how do you like your Verbos Scan&Pan?
huffnPuff
Hey'all, I'm interested in this little fella, thought I'd drop a few questions to Scan and Pan users:

First, do voices keep their position in the stereo image now that a few resistors have been changed, or is this still an issue?

I have the ATC and really like it, possibly because of its discreet nature. Saturation sounds just awesome. Does the gain stage on the P&S sound anything like it?

Finally, if I understand correctly you cannot blend a voice into the mix by using slow modulation into the center and width jacks? The changes are always abrupt? Is this true, and if so is it any different than the RxMx?

I like the size, sliders are potentially cool (unless the curves are all wrong) and the use of discreet transistors may have its benefits, but what are the drawbacks I should be aware of - if any?

Thanks!
The Illuminaire
Loved it when I had it. It does things that about only two other modules can do, but does with the least HP real estate if I recall correctly.

The only question I can really answer of yours is in regards to Center and Width jacks. The changes are not always abrupt; they are dependent on the smoothness of CV that they're being fed.

I only sold mine because I bought a KOMA Poltergeist. Otherwise I would've never parted ways with it.
The Illuminaire
(Accidental double-post)
Mirrorad
My S&P just arrived, but haven't had an opportunity to test drive it yet. My 6 month old is very curious about all the blinking lights, the stereo cacophony, and the colorful patch cables. But they don't feed her or change diapers, so it has to wait.

Will report back asap Guinness ftw!
huffnPuff
Thanks!
pugix
I like mine quite well. The input gain pots let you set a maximum level for the channel. I've not experimented very much with the overdrive, though.

The yellow/red leds are very useful in telling what's going on. There are so many controls over the level of each channel, it can be a little confusing.

I wish that Verbos had provided a block diagram and more description of how the controls interact. There are eight gain cells that have a slider and a pan pot impacting them, plus three CVs: level, pan, scan. How these combine isn't perfectly clear. Do they add or multiply? You just have to play with it and discover how it works.
huffnPuff
pugix wrote:

You just have to play with it and discover how it works.

This is typical with Verbos modules.

There's still some stuff I'd like to know before I commit to buy the module, I can not demo it locally so muff's my only source of info.

Primarily:

1. Stability of channels in the stereo image regardless of changes in level settings. This was an issue with the 1st modules, and has been somewhat improved by changing some resistors.
2. Whether Center and Width controls allow gradual fade in/ out of voices (with a slow lfo or knob tweak).
3. How gain and overdrive work/ sound compared to the ATC that I love

The rumored expander module changes diapers and puts babies to sleep, any info on price and availability?
Worwell
huffnPuff wrote:
pugix wrote:

You just have to play with it and discover how it works.

This is typical with Verbos modules.

There's still some stuff I'd like to know before I commit to buy the module, I can not demo it locally so muff's my only source of info.

Primarily:

1. Stability of channels in the stereo image regardless of changes in level settings. This was an issue with the 1st modules, and has been somewhat improved by changing some resistors.
2. Whether Center and Width controls allow gradual fade in/ out of voices (with a slow lfo or knob tweak).
3. How gain and overdrive work/ sound compared to the ATC that I love

The rumored expander module changes diapers and puts babies to sleep, any info on price and availability?

1. Not an issue on new models and older ones can be fixed.
2. I don't believe so. It operates similarly to the width and center controls on the Harmonic Oscillator.
3. Pleasant but not nearly as pronounced as the drive on the ATC.
I highly recommend this module. It's very nice.
huffnPuff
Thanks!
dmuirw
Its got a lot of headroom and the VCAs are good but its disappointing theres not a headphones cue for each channel and mute button. To common an issue with mixers. I don't get it. WMDs mixer is very well thought out which is hopefully gonna be available soon.
huffnPuff
Yes, a headphones output would've been great. Still, this module packs a lot in 14hp.
pugix
huffnPuff wrote:
Yes, a headphones output would've been great. Still, this module packs a lot in 14hp.

How I solved the headphone issue.

http://pugix.com/synth/mangling-system-output-management/
GryphonP3
[quote="Worwell"]
huffnPuff wrote:

2. I don't believe so. It operates similarly to the width and center controls on the Harmonic Oscillator.

Damn! I was hoping it would be a bit smoother. I love my harmonic oscillator, but smooth transitions in blending the width are not its strong points. I really like the rxmx's blending response, so I was hoping the scan & pan would have smoother blend behavior as it is a focused mixing module rather than an additive sound generator.
huffnPuff
Smooth would have been nice. Was thinking of using a super slow LFO such as the Sloth for gradual and subtle variations in drones.
Worwell
huffnPuff wrote:
Smooth would have been nice. Was thinking of using a super slow LFO such as the Sloth for gradual and subtle variations in drones.

You can use the four included VCAs for that.
huffnPuff
Yes, I guess so.

Different workflow and results, but arguably less of an issue in comparison to the HO because a) the latter has 8 channels and b) those channels are harmonically related. I'd imagine scanning plays a bigger role in how one would use it (the HO).

Not a deal breaker. I like the tones I'm getting from the CO and ATC, so if it (S&P) has a similar sound character then I think/ hope I will really like it.
wigwig
Thinking of getting one...
Any way to tell if a given S&P is old or new?

Worwell wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

1. Stability of channels in the stereo image regardless of changes in level settings. This was an issue with the 1st modules, and has been somewhat improved by changing some resistors...

1. Not an issue on new models and older ones can be fixed.
wigwig
huffnPuff

Did you end up getting this?
Your concern #1 is also mine.
Wondering what you think...
noisejockey
Mine has a version number on the PCB, printed very clearly, but mine simply says "version 1."

Worried at first it would be duplicative with a Harmonic Oscillator, but it totally is worth it. I love sending two-channel delays, reverb, and dry all into it separately. Soooo trippy when modulated. Heck, if you look at it as a mixing VCA bank, it's handy too, even if you don't choose to scan inputs in a given patch.
wigwig
Great. Thanks noisejockey.
I didn't know there was an explicit ID of version #.
This should help.

But maybe I ask since you seem happy with v1:
Stability of levels in stereo isn't a problem for you?

Thanks

noisejockey wrote:
Mine has a version number on the PCB, printed very clearly, but mine simply says "version 1."

Worried at first it would be duplicative with a Harmonic Oscillator, but it totally is worth it. I love sending two-channel delays, reverb, and dry all into it separately. Soooo trippy when modulated. Heck, if you look at it as a mixing VCA bank, it's handy too, even if you don't choose to scan inputs in a given patch.
huffnPuff
wigwig wrote:
huffnPuff

Did you end up getting this?
Your concern #1 is also mine.
Wondering what you think...

I was considering it for a second rack but that plan never came through. Sorry, can't help.
pyjamarama
I notice when I try and pan my Mx-4s I need to do so with a bipolar lfo (with the pan knob centered). otherwise it will always pan from center to just one direction or another. which makes using something like mannequins just friends a no no for this job.

I wonder would the scan and pan also require bipolar LFO's to pan in both directions?

I'm kind of hoping will stand corrected on the LFO thing for the Mx-4s actually.. but either way would be good to know if the scan and pan can pan hard left and right with cv from something like friends as would be a great match.
huffnPuff
With the MX-4S you can pan manually to the left and use 0-10v CV to pan right, can't you? It seems to work with my copy anyway.
pyjamarama
no that only gets me from the left to center position. at least with just friends anyway.

if I use a strong offset like maths chan2 between JF and the Mx-4s I can get it to move over to the right that way but I'd need four of those between the lfo and pan which seems like a scenic route to the objective to say the least. smile

what mod sources do you use to pan the 4s?

I'm waiting for a ph-8 which I'm hoping will be up to the task amongst other things.
huffnPuff
Did you measure the CV? I suspect it only outputs 0-5v. I use Maths as a CV source (one of the channels is aprox -10 to +10 and the other half of that).

Moving the pan pot manually to the left generates an internal -5v CV that should be offset with a full +10v to pan full right.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2