MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

So how do you like your Verbos Scan&Pan?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author So how do you like your Verbos Scan&Pan?
huffnPuff
You need an attenuation offset module, or a bipolar LFO. The former is a great utility to have in any system.
pyjamarama
I found this on a quick search re. JF spec:

153 mA +12V
34 mA -12V
0 mA 5V
30 mm Depth
Ø 5.00 (3 Votes) Average Rating


do you use maths to modulate all four pans on your Mx-4S then?
pyjamarama
huffnPuff wrote:
You need an attenuation offset module, or a bipolar LFO. The former is a great utility to have in any system.


agreed! waiting for my ph-8 on both counts..... should be the one for this no?

am curious what you use to modulate all four pans on your 4s though.
pyjamarama
AND.. not to get too far off topic, whether the scan and pan would also require four bipolar lfo's to fully pan all four of it's channels.
huffnPuff
AFAIK Verbos do not have a bipolar LFO, so it might work otherwise. I find the MX-4S control scheme very logical though - the Eurorack specs for CV are 10v pp (be it bipolar or unipolar).
confusedmachine
Recently racked up mine, and have a few questions:

- the postcard manual states that unity gain is at 9 o'clock. This is about 2 if we were using a 1-10 scale. Things sound 'normal' at that level, then significantly overdrive at anything over that. There's a ridiculous amount of gain there if required, but it doesn't take much to overdrive it.

- A single signal sounds fine. Once you bring in and mix other signals, it tends to distort. It sounds to my ears as though two signals that are fine in isolation when mixed will overdrive and distort the mix.

Do others find it behaves like this too?
nectarios
I have a friend with whom we make techno every Friday and he added the Scan & Pan to his Verbos modules.

I think its the best sounding VCA I've ever had in my studio.
My DPO sounded so full through it, much better than the Optomix (ok its an LPG really).
The fact that its stereo out with panning made me decide its going to be my first Vebos module.

Scan & Pan plays so well with the HO, this drone came out in 10 minutes.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/287245640" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Yes this overdrives very quickly so inputs need to be tamed. This module has HEAPS of gain and having said that, the overdrive is *brilliant*.
bernwerlin
One thing that annoys me about the S&P is the height of the Pan pots. It's super difficult to get in there with both inputs used in one of the channels and a cv source to control the vca...not to mention if you're using all 4 channels with chunky patch cables it's near impossible. So, in other words, functionally it's great. Ergonomically, it isnt. I can overlook that though!

sad banana
MindMachine
confusedmachine wrote:
Recently racked up mine, and have a few questions:

- the postcard manual states that unity gain is at 9 o'clock. This is about 2 if we were using a 1-10 scale. Things sound 'normal' at that level, then significantly overdrive at anything over that. There's a ridiculous amount of gain there if required, but it doesn't take much to overdrive it.

- A single signal sounds fine. Once you bring in and mix other signals, it tends to distort. It sounds to my ears as though two signals that are fine in isolation when mixed will overdrive and distort the mix.

Do others find it behaves like this too?


So you leave the inputs at 9 o clock (#2) just to stay clean and then you have to amplify after the S & P to get a stronger clean signal out of your system?
HowMuchYaBench
Bump on this question.

MindMachine wrote:
confusedmachine wrote:
Recently racked up mine, and have a few questions:

- the postcard manual states that unity gain is at 9 o'clock. This is about 2 if we were using a 1-10 scale. Things sound 'normal' at that level, then significantly overdrive at anything over that. There's a ridiculous amount of gain there if required, but it doesn't take much to overdrive it.

- A single signal sounds fine. Once you bring in and mix other signals, it tends to distort. It sounds to my ears as though two signals that are fine in isolation when mixed will overdrive and distort the mix.

Do others find it behaves like this too?


So you leave the inputs at 9 o clock (#2) just to stay clean and then you have to amplify after the S & P to get a stronger clean signal out of your system?
moegl
I am having some trouble with the VCAs. are the sliders not supposed to act like attenuators when CV is in the VCAs??? as you can see on this video the sliders are not very responsive, and even with the sliders set to 0 the VCA is still reacting. and when I try to wiggle the sliders you can only hear the reaction on the falling and rising part of the LFO.

Leverkusen
moegl wrote:
I am having some trouble with the VCAs. are the sliders not supposed to act like attenuators when CV is in the VCAs??? as you can see on this video the sliders are not very responsive, and even with the sliders set to 0 the VCA is still reacting. and when I try to wiggle the sliders you can only hear the reaction on the falling and rising part of the LFO.



The sliders seem to respond well on your movements in the video and I don't think they are meant to attenuate the incoming CV - looks as if both are added. At least that's what I would expect them to do. What CV are you feeding in? Bipolar or unipolar?
Triglav
moegl wrote:
I am having some trouble with the VCAs. are the sliders not supposed to act like attenuators when CV is in the VCAs??? as you can see on this video the sliders are not very responsive, and even with the sliders set to 0 the VCA is still reacting. and when I try to wiggle the sliders you can only hear the reaction on the falling and rising part of the LFO.


I think the sliders only act as an offset, not an attenuator for CV.
It would be great to know what's the expected range of the CV/pan inputs though.
moegl
Leverkusen wrote:
The sliders seem to respond well on your movements in the video and I don't think they are meant to attenuate the incoming CV - looks as if both are added. At least that's what I would expect them to do. What CV are you feeding in? Bipolar or unipolar?


Triglav wrote:
I think the sliders only act as an offset, not an attenuator for CV.


Thank you for your quick responses! smile

I just figured the sliders would act like the sliders of the mixer on the Music Easel. where they control the amount of CV to the VCA.

I don't understand the priority of offset over attenuation here? in a mixer with a vca, I would expect attenuation to be the best thing for mixing purposes.

I made a workaround in this video to illustrate how I expected it to behave. just panned input4 to the left and sent it to imput3, and slider no3 is now how I would have wanted the vca to behave.

Triglav
moegl wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:
The sliders seem to respond well on your movements in the video and I don't think they are meant to attenuate the incoming CV - looks as if both are added. At least that's what I would expect them to do. What CV are you feeding in? Bipolar or unipolar?


Triglav wrote:
I think the sliders only act as an offset, not an attenuator for CV.


Thank you for your quick responses! smile

I just figured the sliders would act like the sliders of the mixer on the Music Easel. where they control the amount of CV to the VCA.

I don't understand the priority of offset over attenuation here? in a mixer with a vca, I would expect attenuation to be the best thing for mixing purposes.

I made a workaround in this video to illustrate how I expected it to behave. just panned input4 to the left and sent it to imput3, and slider no3 is now how I would have wanted the vca to behave.


The Easel has a separate offset and CV slider for each LPG channel.
I think because the Scan & Pan is primarily a mixer and not a VCA, there is some value in this approach. You first set a volume for each channel and then modulate relative to that.
The Buchla 207 which this is vaguely based on doesn't even have CV over level. http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2008/11/mixers-mixers-mixers.html
pugix
The sliders are offsets, summed into the CV for the channel. Each stereo channel has multiple sources of CV:

Slider (initial level)
Pan pot (initial location)
Level CV
Panning CV
Scanning CV

All of these sum together to impact the left and right outputs for that channel. The two LEDs indicate the level going out for left and right.

Be careful where the Scan pots are set! Both Width and Center should be fully to the left (anti-clockwise), when you're not scanning. Otherwise it will impart another offset.
xanderseren
confusedmachine wrote:

- A single signal sounds fine. Once you bring in and mix other signals, it tends to distort. It sounds to my ears as though two signals that are fine in isolation when mixed will overdrive and distort the mix.

Do others find it behaves like this too?


I'm experiencing this as well. I get significant distortion when feeding signals into all 4 channels even with the gain knobs set just slightly above 0. Also, it's tough to find the center point on the pan knobs and their range seems to be limited to 10 and 2 -- beyond that I just get the full signal in the left or right channel. I'm finding it a bit hard to tame, but I can't tell whether or not this is by design.
Worwell
xanderseren wrote:
confusedmachine wrote:

- A single signal sounds fine. Once you bring in and mix other signals, it tends to distort. It sounds to my ears as though two signals that are fine in isolation when mixed will overdrive and distort the mix.

Do others find it behaves like this too?


I'm experiencing this as well. I get significant distortion when feeding signals into all 4 channels even with the gain knobs set just slightly above 0. Also, it's tough to find the center point on the pan knobs and their range seems to be limited to 10 and 2 -- beyond that I just get the full signal in the left or right channel. I'm finding it a bit hard to tame, but I can't tell whether or not this is by design.


What do you mean by 0? Unity gain is at 9 o'clock.
xanderseren
Worwell wrote:
xanderseren wrote:
confusedmachine wrote:

- A single signal sounds fine. Once you bring in and mix other signals, it tends to distort. It sounds to my ears as though two signals that are fine in isolation when mixed will overdrive and distort the mix.

Do others find it behaves like this too?


I'm experiencing this as well. I get significant distortion when feeding signals into all 4 channels even with the gain knobs set just slightly above 0. Also, it's tough to find the center point on the pan knobs and their range seems to be limited to 10 and 2 -- beyond that I just get the full signal in the left or right channel. I'm finding it a bit hard to tame, but I can't tell whether or not this is by design.


What do you mean by 0? Unity gain is at 9 o'clock.


Oops, by 0 I meant 7 o'clock. I'm realizing it may be a matter of setting the sliders at about 50% and the gain between 8/9 o'clock. I'm getting a pretty clean signal this way and then just boosting the signal externally.
bodydouble
Just picked one of these up and experiencing the same distortion as talked about above.

What is the design rationale for it overdriving after 9 o'clock on the gain knobs? 7 to 9 o'clock gives you almost no ability to balance the levels before applying overdrive, VCA, pan etc : - /
luketeaford
bodydouble wrote:
What is the design rationale for it overdriving after 9 o'clock on the gain knobs? 7 to 9 o'clock gives you almost no ability to balance the levels before applying overdrive, VCA, pan etc : - /


I believe it IS the overdrive and it is before the vca (slider/cv) and pan.

This allows you to boost weaker signals up to modular level, but it's not really designed for mixing relative levels of the channels.

If you have one envelope you want to apply to varying degrees to each channel, you could do that by attenuating the gain channels or by using only L or R side and figuring out the panning/width or the most obvious approach would be attenuating the envelope externally.
tthogs
If you wanna have some real fun with the scan n pan, try putting some audio rate cv into the pan input, preferably with the same vco into that same channel. You get super wide stereo effects and it sounds really cool. If you then have a stereo filter afterwards that's new synthesis sounds right there.
narrowfella
[quote="Worwell"]
huffnPuff wrote:
pugix wrote:

1. Stability of channels in the stereo image regardless of changes in level settings. This was an issue with the 1st modules, and has been somewhat improved by changing some resistors.


1. Not an issue on new models and older ones can be fixed.


Hi everyone! How would one fix a Scan & Pan that does not maintain the stereo position whilst changing the level sliders/ cv-ing the level? I recently purchased one that malfunctions this way and whilst according to Paul from disappointing Verbos customer service that is normal behaviour, I am now looking for a repair option.

If anyone has fixed theirs and can share some tips I would highly appreciate. Thank you! we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group