MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Zlob modular VnIcursal 6-channel VCA ... User thoughts?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Zlob modular VnIcursal 6-channel VCA ... User thoughts?
Ranstedt
Anyone own this VCA? I'd like to know what you think about it. And what other VCA's do you / have you used?

Thanks.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/zlob-zlob-modular-vnicursal-vca
mharpum
I was going to suggest Tangle Quartet but you have one already! I just got blinds which is really cool and very useful!
Ranstedt
I'm not against adding another Tangle Quartet. I like mine.

I was watching the video series why we need more VCA's and he was using a μVCA which I thought was interesting. I like that it can mix exponential with linear. But I'm looking to add more than just two channels. The Linix interests me too. But I wish it was smaller and was more like a 5 channel μVCA.

Still curious about the VnIcursal and if there are any sound quality issues (bleed, etc).

Maybe I'll just play it safe and go for another TQ + μVCA. hmmm.....
GryphonP3
I have 3 of these in my racks. Excellent utility VCA. Sounds great with audio, but I mainly use it for processing CV. Really nice to have 6 channels of VCA w/ gain bias in such a small space. A really nice hub to add CV to all your CVs smile I ended up selling my Quattro Figaro once I got one of these, and used the cash to build a couple more (hard to go wrong at $30 each for pcb/panel and no expensive components!)

All the Zlob stuff is top notch. The filter is unbelievable for $20 PCB/panel. Entropy is a rad module too. And their passive attenumixers are pretty excellent for $10 + the $3 or so they cost in parts to build.
ambrohski
I use it for audio only, and it's great.

Really quiet, and packs a lot into a pretty shallow, low HP form factor. Pretty easy build too, tons of densely packed vertical resistors, but not difficult...

thumbs up
Ranstedt
You're all making me wish I knew how to build modules. waah

Thanks for all the feedback. This seems like a great module that I look forward to trying.
MindMachine
Note that the Zlob modules are about 3-3.5 mm thick which is much thicker than any other module maker that I have seen.

I am plugging in my new 3EQ tonight and that sucker is thick.
onurkalaycioglu
Thanks for the kind words mr gryphon. Yes my modules are 1/8" thick making them around a mm thicker than a typical panel. Later this summer I'm goin
to switch to aluminum panels and anyone that owns a zlob module can purchase a discounted replacement panel.
euromorcego
onurkalaycioglu wrote:
Later this summer I'm goin
to switch to aluminum panels and anyone that owns a zlob module can purchase a discounted replacement panel.

thumbs up

and bring back the clk dv! I need another one (pcb/panel) and it is not available anywhere (well, not on your site and not from synthcube ... that is where is checked).
ambrohski
euromorcego wrote:
onurkalaycioglu wrote:
Later this summer I'm goin

thumbs up

and bring back the clk dv! I need another one (pcb/panel) and it is not available anywhere (well, not on your site and not from synthcube ... that is where is checked).

YES please, times two hyper
Futuresound
onurkalaycioglu wrote:
Thanks for the kind words mr gryphon. Yes my modules are 1/8" thick making them around a mm thicker than a typical panel. Later this summer I'm goin

Cool! Will the Vnicursal VCA get an alu panel any time soon?
Whelm
I too would love to see a black aluminum vnicursal. Never maintain cash savings again
oldgobes
I'd like to see all Zlob modules in black aluminium, but especially this.
onurkalaycioglu
Thanks for the interest guys. red on black aluminum panels for the svf and Minimix should be in within a week or so. the Vnicursal is actually next up for fabrication and should be in early next year along with a panel for a new 2hp dual vca with led push switches.

The clk dv has been redesigned and I fixed mk1's minor issues. It's also now a musical clock divider where all the outs go high when reset. Pcb panels for the clk dv as well as restock should in before the years over.

I'm also in the process of converting all remaining modules to pcb panels until I can afford more aluminum ones.
starthief
Asking about this here since the Zlob Dual VCA description says it's based on the VnIcursal...

I'm thinking about either a Zlob Dual VCA (current version, not the new one coming out this year without CV control), or waiting for the 2HP VCA to release next week. I like the idea of the Zlob one since it has the mix output. But I like the idea of 2HP's offering because of the built-in attenuators which become bias controls when there's no CV input. hmmm.....

What do people think of the 2x gain at 5V? Is it a help, a hindrance, or pretty much neutral? I often find I need to either attenuate VCA CVs or outgoing audio signals before they hit my audio interface anyway...
onurkalaycioglu
the dual vca and vnicursal now ship with 5v at unity gain. also both channel's audio out and sum are all available simultaneously. and theres new black and white pcb/aluminum panels for the dual vca.

starthief
Good to know! thumbs up And that's a sharp looking panel.
noeticsound
I got a Vnlcursal in my 208 hp system. I picked it specifically for the quantity of VCAs per hp, having started with only an Optomix for VCA duties, and it's serving me superbly for both audio and CV.

I actually like the extra thick panel because I ended up with hex rack screws that were too long for most modules without 3 washers. The Vnlcursal (and the Bastl and Mutable modules) require only the 1 washer to hold them in place.
pirxthepilot
Planning to build one of these. Does anyone happen to have a mouser cart for the latest PCB (v4 if I understand correctly)?
Silver
I'm just building the new black and red panel vnicursal and I think it looks best with all red leds, but just curious if anyone has and view that the different color leds are helpful for any reason? Thanks.
Ruslan
I've recently recieved mine, with the new attenuating pots board. I've not yet had a chance to build it, but I'm really looking forward to. I've been well overdue for some proper VCAs in my system.
ello
today i built mine and i have a question to those who already have it, too: when putting a cable into the cv-in jacks i get a short 12v peak, althoug it is considered to be a cv-in and not out...

this already killed one of my unsecured self build lfo (that's why i got aware and thought about measuring the cv-in-jack), well, i'd say my fault that i didn't protect my lfo against such currents, but still, as it is a cv-in there should not come 12v peaks out of it, right??

the 6 vca's work as intended, offset works as well and mixed out does the job, too, so i am just wondering if there is something that can be done about that dangerous current ??
Nagasaki45
Hi. Any comment about the build difficulty?

I thought about building it but the reviews here scared me a bit.

I have basic soldering skills: built some guitar effect pedals and arduino circuits, but nothing "big" as this one.
ello
i am no pro and it works like it should, so i'd say it is a good deal for a 6vca module. you have to stay awake and it should not be the first thing to build. luckily i already knew to place the frontpanel before soldering the jacks and stuff smile made that mistake once on another module and it was not so funny
resynthesize
I built one and it works except for 1 channel. I think I used the wrong value resistor somewhere along the line. The board is very dense but doable if you go slow and focus. I'm still pretty new at DIY and have built a few other projects successfully so far for reference: orgone accumulator, l-1 stereo microcompressor, manhattan analog DTM.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4