MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CV4LIVE by Skinnerbox, control ableton from your system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author CV4LIVE by Skinnerbox, control ableton from your system
sbx
hey muffs, today - alongside our update of Time & Timbre we also release a free m4l pack titled CV4LIVE which allows you use CV and trigger signals to control practically anything within ableton live(modulate any given parameter, sync liveĀ“s clock to your modular system, fire up clips and more). it operates in high resolution (roughly 16bit) and great timing - also notable: it does not require any extra hardware other than a soundcard and some kind of oscillating module. this transforms live into a very very powerful digital module. we would love to know what you think about it!
https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/time-timbre-skinnerbox/ (scroll down the page)

x2mirko
Oh, this is awesome news. Have been waiting for a push2 update to time & timbre and now i get all kinds of extra goodies? Awesome. The LFO.cv looks very neat as well. Had been looking for something like this that's easily mappable to the push. The silentway plugin was a bit awkward to use for LFO-duties in combination with push.

Now i just need to re-do my routing template and figure out a way to freely route different types of CV generators to the available outputs for each track from push... hmmm.....

Damn, tonight is gonna be fun!
sbx
thanks! looking forward to see what will guys do with it, the possibilities are truly limited wink
debolish
Nice one. Big fan of Time & Timbre. Looking forward to the update and peeping CV4LIVE.
rattlework
Great job. I really enjoy using skinner box as a trigger sequencer with Push 2 and the modular. This new update may add all kinds of new possibilities.
GaryInHuaHin
I hear the sound of walls coming down.....
x2mirko
I'm having trouble getting it to takeover my push2. I remember how easy the takeover worked back when i had a push1 - there was basically nothing you had to do, just select the device. Is there something different about how it works on the push2? Am I missing something important? The push2 is recognized by live normally and it's setup as the only control surface. All the normal functionality works well, just no luck with the takeover. Clicking discover doesn't do anything - and the push2 was on when i started live anyways.

Also one small question: Is there a way to map these dropdown menus in the LFO.cv (but also from a lot of other m4l devices) to a macro in an instrument/effect rack and get the text/choices from that drop down menu to appear as the current value? So it's not just 0...127 but rather: sine, up, down, ..., random? That would be very helpful. Especially with the divisons on the LFO it's basically impossible to control them from the push2 and know what you're doing. You can still go by feel, which works well enough, but it would be nice to see the currently selected values.
lvankanten
This looks great, I hope it can trigger midi notes.

Can't wait to try it when I get home.
rbhansen
Wow...cannot wait to get home, download and try out both T&T v2 and CV4Live!

Have been using T&T for awhile...great way to create unique rhythms. Push integration was never that important to me, but curious to see how this works with Push 2...may need to revisit.

But...am REALLY excited about CV4Live. I've started using Ableton less and less bc I love the tactile interaction of modular. But there are still times when I want some of the goodness of Ableton.
Expert Sleepers seems to go the route of "control your modular system from Ableton"; this seems to go the other way. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Dumb question though: is the number of tracks/variables I can control in Ableton limited by the number of inputs in my audio interface?
If yes, going to need to upgrade my Scarlett 2i4. Father's Day is Sunday...present to myself!
x2mirko
rbhansen wrote:
is the number of tracks/variables I can control in Ableton limited by the number of inputs in my audio interface?
If yes, going to need to upgrade my Scarlett 2i4. Father's Day is Sunday...present to myself!

Yes, it is. Make sure that whatever audio interface you're getting has dc-coupled inputs. Because otherwise, this will not work.

edit: nvm, it doesn't need to be dc-coupled, see developers reponse below. thumbs up
sbx
@rbhansen actually, cv4live does not require DC coupled inputs - it will work with any soundcard out there - this is the whole point of this device, to bypass the need of it because it practically does not exist in the audio interface world, you can only use one signal per input but you can map it to unlimited numbers of parameters inside live using the multimap m4l stock device for example
sbx
@x2mirko can you send us a detailed report to support (....) skinnerbox.de? we will have a look and get this sorted,
ignatius
awesome. can't wait to try this out. great little demo video.. really just makes my head explode
chapelier fou
So basically it works by tracking the incoming pitch with the gen abstraction ?
How does it work with low frequencies ?

Congratulations, this is killer work !
sbx
@chapelier fou, thanks! yeah, more or less! well lower freq will give you lower resolution, it should clip anything below 50hz.
shreeswifty
So this is not reliant on a DC coupled soundcard is that correct?
sbx
@shreeswifty, yes, thats correct, any off the shelf soundcard will do.
jonne74
sbx wrote:
@shreeswifty, yes, thats correct, any off the shelf soundcard will do.

Which card is used in the video?
sbx
@jonne74 motu ultralite mk 1 but as said, any soundcard will do...
Virgil
Thank you, sbx, this is an awesome tool! :-)
jonne74
Thanks! This looks awesome.
martinkozak
Thank you! AWESOME!!
sbx
thanks! really looking forward to see how you use it, so please let us know, also if you have any issues, this would be the place to ask...
shreeswifty
So gen~ is doing all the conversions, that's pretty tight.
what does this mean for Expert Sleepers? Is this a Cat's out of the bag moment or what? I looked at the gen~ but just briefly
Willowhaus
Wow, this is amazing - can't wait to try it out! I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, and although I really love it the lack of DC capability was making me consider selling it. This is an exciting option!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3