MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge - Ian Fritz Timbre Tantrum & Chaos Theory - Videos
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge - Ian Fritz Timbre Tantrum & Chaos Theory - Videos
Electrostatic
Hi,
I've spent the last couple of days exploring my first ever Serge format panels, the Timbre Tantrum and Chaos Theory.
I'm not exactly new to Ian Fritz as I have several Eurorack modules of his design, but at the moment I'm looking at this as a separate instrument. That way I can learn how they interact amongst themselves fully before incorporating the panels into the rest of my set-up.

1: Does anyone who has these panels have any tips or insights? Preferably as a stand alone system.

2: Once I've got the gist of the system I'll be incorporating it into a mainly Eurorack system. Are there any problems with this regarding voltage levels and what each other expects?
A bit of a test and it appears there aren't any issues, but clarification would be really handy.

3: I have a small banana to 3.5mm converter box, which I can already see I'm going to have to expand on. Is there anything out there ready made (or easy DIY) that I can get?

Thank in advance for any help or guidance.

Cheers.

EDIT: I'll be posting the videos documenting my adventures with these wonderful panels in this thread from time to time.
xonetacular
Electrostatic wrote:

3: I have a small banana to 3.5mm converter box, which I can already see I'm going to have to expand on. Is there anything out there ready made (or easy DIY) that I can get?

Thank in advance for any help or guidance.

Cheers.

no experience with those panels but regarding this

for premade converters low-gain makes them: https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/utl-1-passive-format-converter-box .html

It's a very simple diy project to make them though. Get a Hammond 1590b, some 3.5mm jacks, and some banana jacks and wire them up (wire the 3.5mm grounds together and connect it to a separate banana jack, then just wire each 3.5mm signal to the corresponding banana).

Hardest part is lining up and drilling all the holes, which I wouldn't want to do without a drill press. you could use a plastic enclosure which might be easier.
Electrostatic
Hi xonetacular,
That's great. I had tried doing a search, but was probably using the wrong terms and couldn't find anything. I'll get on it and get one bought I think. Cheers.

Here's a video of me mucking about with the DoubleDeka as a trigger sequencer. the TZVCO on the Bank B side of things needs calibrating, but at higher speeds sounds a bit harpish, so decided to leave it for this video. But will calibrate it over the weekend.

https://youtu.be/2zfT4hn16mo

Bank A:
1. One side of a dual TGTSH (fed by the Chaotica)
2. A Teezer TZVCO
3. 4X4 AD/AR
4. Threeler VCF
5. Mixer

Bank B:
1. One side of a dual TGTSH (fed by the Chaotica)
2. A Teezer TZVCO (this one needs calibrating)
3. 4X4 AD/AR
4. One side of a Dual 2Q/4Q Multiplier
5. Mixer

Both banks mixed together and fed through a Bandive Accessit stereo spring reverb.
thorncore
lovely set of panels:)

A few thoughts about patching Ian Fritz stuff up as a self contained system.

I often like to use the Chaquo as a starting point.As its core speed is not VC- able I tend to use it as 'master clock' via the TGTSH or AD/ARs (they are triggerable by LFOs) , the quadrature outputs are useful for panning/scanning and the Chaos outputs are related to your core 'tempo'.

Also Chaotica at audio rate either as noise source for S/H or wierd wobbly low end bass oscillator.

Threeler as Chaotic LFO ,try output 3 it's bonkers...
EarlJemmings
I really, really want to be finished mine. I got finished stuffing and wiring my chaos theory panel, only to find nothing really working. Last time I plugged everything in, one of the vca boards started smoking. waah

Really wish I had the cash to just hand it off to someone to do it up right.

I plan on pairing mine with at least one other serge panel- an additional filter and rez EQ, and a DUSG wouldn't go amiss I'm sure.
I also feel like a matrix mixer would pair real nice with these two panels for lots of feedback good stuff
phisynth
I don't know much about these panels and Ian Fritz designs, but I have to say I loved your vid, sounds really nice ! SlayerBadger!
appliancide
thorncore wrote:
lovely set of panels:)

A few thoughts about patching Ian Fritz stuff up as a self contained system.

I often like to use the Chaquo as a starting point.As its core speed is not VC- able I tend to use it as 'master clock' via the TGTSH or AD/ARs (they are triggerable by LFOs) , the quadrature outputs are useful for panning/scanning and the Chaos outputs are related to your core 'tempo'.

Also Chaotica at audio rate either as noise source for S/H or wierd wobbly low end bass oscillator.

Threeler as Chaotic LFO ,try output 3 it's bonkers...

I also use the chaquo as the "heartbeat" of patches. Lots of rhythmic variation is possible with using the different phases and the gate delay on the envelopes.

Feeding chaos into the ttgsh can give you some great sequences. It's a lot of fun dialing in different sweet spots.

I like feeding the both channels of the doubledeka into the threeler for a great monosynth sound. This leaves both teezers and wave shapers free for droning or cross-modulated fm madness.

Remember that vcas are basically analogue AND gates if you need some more rhythmic variation in your patches.

Also, check out Ian's YouTube page if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/user/frijitz001?

edit: great patch!
Electrostatic
Thanks for all the tips guys. Much appreciated.
I'm having loads of fun with these panels. Really wish I'd taken the plunge earlier.
In my Euro set-up I have the Threeler, ChaQuo, Jerkster (Bistromath) and an Elby Chaotica. Which are all amazing and am very familiar with, but having the additional modules really opens them up.
The DoubleDeka is a revelation, both as a trigger source, and as Appliancide mentioned, both outputs into the Threeler... huge sounding.

Quote:
I don't know much about these panels and Ian Fritz designs, but I have to say I loved your vid, sounds really nice !

Thank you kind Sir.
Electrostatic
So, upon closer inspection it appears that one of Teezers doesn't work. I thought it just needed calibrating, but it appears that it's borked and something is wrong with it.
When turning the Coarse tuning knob it'll go from ultra high to ultra low (LFO territory) within the space of about one turn. And tracking is waaaaaay off. When cv is added it'll do (without checking with a multimeter) about 3 octaves instead of 1.
Anyone got any ideas about what could have gone wrong and what to replace?
Heads up, I'm a very (below) average DIY'er.

I'd like to get it fixed, but if it's too complicated for me then it'll still do as an LFO, and can still hard Sync it with a saw or square, so not the end of the world.

Cheers in advance.

EDIT: SOLVED nanners
It was a dodgy CA3280E
appliancide
Start a thread in the DIY section describing the behavior, as well as the tools and knowledge that you have available. Lot's of people there (myself included) have built the Teezer and will be able to offer some guidance. Ian is always very helpful when people are trying to debug his circuits.

The Teezer is an excellent module, and nobody should have to settle for one that isn't 100%!

Also, if you ever tire of the Bistromath, send me a message. That's the only one of those that I built. Guinness ftw!
geecen
Where do you guys get the fritz pcbs for these panels from? I know bride chamber sells some of them, but are the double dekka and chaotica the pcbs from elby? Thanks.
Electrostatic
appliancide wrote:
Start a thread in the DIY section describing the behavior, as well as the tools and knowledge that you have available. Lot's of people there (myself included) have built the Teezer and will be able to offer some guidance. Ian is always very helpful when people are trying to debug his circuits.

The Teezer is an excellent module, and nobody should have to settle for one that isn't 100%!

Also, if you ever tire of the Bistromath, send me a message. That's the only one of those that I built. Guinness ftw!

Ah, I'll head over there now (I just posted over there about a Klee issue too).

As for the Bistromath, even though I now have your Serge versions (apart from the Jerkster, which is basically a Chaotica without the cv control and reset, as you know) it'll have to be prized from my cold dead hands. It's my most favourite ever euro module, you did an absolute killer job on it.
But, if I ever do tire of it... I'll drop you a line.
It's what got me into Chaos and Ian Fritz, so really can't thank you enough for that... plus it looks absolutely stunning. w00t

Cheers Guinness ftw!
Electrostatic
geecen wrote:
Where do you guys get the fritz pcbs for these panels from? I know bride chamber sells some of them, but are the double dekka and chaotica the pcbs from elby? Thanks.

I have absolutely no idea I'm afraid. I'm a ready built kinda bloke. Sorry.
Some others here I'm sure will be far more helpful than me though. cool
thermionicjunky
geecen wrote:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1231313#1231313

The Double Dekka is the Bridechamber version. Chaotica is Ian's large-format layout, which Bridechamber never carried.
appliancide
thermionicjunky wrote:
geecen wrote:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1231313#1231313

The Double Dekka is the Bridechamber version. Chaotica is Ian's large-format layout, which Bridechamber never carried.

Actually I sold the LED slider PCBs (which Ian designed for the Timbre Tantrum panel) and Chaotica PCBs as part of a group buy with the panels a while back. Hopefully Synthcube will eventually carry them. If not, I may do another group buy in the future, but that wouldn't be for several months or longer.
Electrostatic
I've started integrating a small amount of Eurorack now. But this is virtually all the Serge panels, just some help from the following:

Mutable Instruments - Grids (triggers)
Iron Ether - Pithoprakta (triggers)
Doepfer - A-160-5 Ratchet Control (triggers)
Electro Music - Klee (modulation for the Chaotica)
Modcan - Dual Delay (erm... delay)
Intellijel - Springray (um... reverb)
And of course, the ace Bugbrand DRM1+X and PT Delay.

https://youtu.be/U5mpYB_ENik

Electrostatic
The only other things used apart from the two panels were:

Doepfer A-156 - for quantizing the S&H outputs of the Dual TGTSH.

Bandive Accessit Stereo Spring Reverb - for adding spring reverb to one of the Teezer TZFM VCO's. (the plinky plonky piano one).

Roland DEP-3 - for adding reverb to one of the Teezer TZFM VCO's.

Ibanez AD-202 - for adding delay to bank A of the DoubleDeka Ultrasonic VCO.

Cheers.

https://youtu.be/DkFEyxTjWiM
Electrostatic
Only the fuzz guitar type sound is from the Serge on this one (part of the panels are patched for a different sound I was working on, but not included here), but thought it was worth posting as I love the sound of the two Teezer's with slight cross modulation.

https://youtu.be/O4OMIrQziBc

peripatitis
Electrostatic wrote:
Only the fuzz guitar type sound is from the Serge on this one (part of the panels are patched for a different sound I was working on, but not included here), but thought it was worth posting as I love the sound of the two Teezer's with slight cross modulation.

https://youtu.be/O4OMIrQziBc

a guitar would "wish" to sound like that. Great sound, is it raw or does it pass thru a filter?
Prunesquallor
Wonderful stuff! applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1