MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wavemakers modulars etc
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Wavemakers modulars etc
JohnLRice
In case you haven't seen it before there is a great site full of info and pictures and some sound samples for the old Wavemakers modulars (and semi-modulars)

The university I went to, PLU in Parkland WA USA, had a large Wavemakers modular.

http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/index.html

Here are a couple pictures from the site:

Monobass
Thanks for the heads up, nice waveshaping on those oscillators... a very nice bright tone.
kidtesla
Wow! Thanks for posting this!
Babaluma
i stupidly made another thread at a later date about the same thing:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=254161

john, how was your experience of using one? sound/features/usability etc?
JohnLRice
Babaluma wrote:
i stupidly made another thread at a later date about the same thing:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=254161

john, how was your experience of using one? sound/features/usability etc?

I think they probably sound good to great (my memory of how it sounded is non-existant at this point . . it was over 30 yrears ago! cry Dead Banana ), but at that time my experience was limited to using some DIY circuits I had built and a few PAiA kits so . . I felt that the controls/jacks lay out and their labeling was somewhat confusing and non-intuitive.

I would love to get one as at least a collector's/show-n-tell item. I wish Tone Tweakers would discuss prices! waah very frustrating I really really fancy this sweet little processing box they have: http://www.tonetweakers.com/used/wm_processor.1.htm

And this model 4 would be great too:
http://www.tonetweakers.com/used/wavemaker4.1.htm

I'm pretty sure none of the Wavemakers stuff is the same size or compatable with 5U or any other system as far as mounting them at least.
Babaluma
that does look cool.

thanks for your observations.

yeah, even if tonetweakers would give you a price, i am sure it would be very very expensive!
Dragh
wonderful instrument!
eurorack manufactures: make more modules in this dark blue style, please!!!
chamomileshark
dark blue is the new black.

are there any audio samples?
Babaluma
yep, follow the first link in this thread.
JohnLRice
I found a couple YouTube videos with quick demos of a Wavemakers modular and rack mount sequencer! woah hyper screaming goo yo Fairly poor quality but . . . they are the only vids I know of so it's much better than nothing! thumbs up

chamomileshark
Interesting, thanks!
minime123
hey guys
we'd honestly rather not sell these - we'd rather swap them for equally rare stuff.
mini
JohnLRice
minime123 wrote:
hey guys
we'd honestly rather not sell these - we'd rather swap them for equally rare stuff.
mini

Hi!

But, hmmm..... there aren't many synths that are as rare as Wavemakers! seriously, i just don't get it hihi 8_) Mr. Green
minime123
Quote:
But, there aren't many synths that are as rare as Wavemakers!

this is true.
oozitron
The electronic music studio at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) had several Wavemaker modules in the studio. When I was first there (1981), I thought they were SEMs smile

There's a nice Wavemakers site somewhere on the web...

Drew
JohnLRice
oozitron wrote:
The electronic music studio at the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) had several Wavemaker modules in the studio. When I was first there (1981), I thought they were SEMs smile

There's a nice Wavemakers site somewhere on the web...

Drew

The professor at my university came from Michigan U, so maybe that's why he was into Wavemakers? hihi

I took a look at Michigan U's web site to see what they have in their electronic studio now . . . d'oh! pretty lame! meh
"EMS A is equipped with a Wurlitzer synthesizer and EMS B has a Korg Trinity. "
oozitron
Wow, that's pretty depressing. The two years I took classes in there (81-83) there was a quad soundsystem & quad mixer (with joysticks!) and four separate reel-to-reel machines, each with their own splicing blocks. There were the Wavmakers VCO and VCF modules as well as some other utility modules. A Moog 921 sequencer was there too smile And a Moog keyboard taken from a modular. There was a rack mounted LP filter that must have been at least 48db (!) as well as a superb plate reverb.

They also had a brand-new Synclavier in a second room smile

Who's the prof you mentioned? George Wilson (check him out in wiki; I never realized the status of my instructor!) was in charge back then, with Jeffery Bass helping out... I learned a lot there and gained a load of great memories!

Drew
JohnLRice
oozitron wrote:
Wow, that's pretty depressing. The two years I took classes in there (81-83) there was a quad soundsystem & quad mixer (with joysticks!) and four separate reel-to-reel machines, each with their own splicing blocks. There were the Wavmakers VCO and VCF modules as well as some other utility modules. A Moog 921 sequencer was there too smile And a Moog keyboard taken from a modular. There was a rack mounted LP filter that must have been at least 48db (!) as well as a superb plate reverb.

They also had a brand-new Synclavier in a second room smile

Who's the prof you mentioned? George Wilson (check him out in wiki; I never realized the status of my instructor!) was in charge back then, with Jeffery Bass helping out... I learned a lot there and gained a load of great memories!

Drew

And all that awesome gear was probably sold for next to nothing in the later 80's / early 90's when the "new and betterer" MIDI and digital gear took the worl by storm! Dead Banana cry

I went to college between 1977 and 1979 and my professor was Dave Robins.
governor blacksnake
JohnLRice wrote:

I took a look at Michigan U's web site to see what they have in their electronic studio now . . . d'oh! pretty lame! meh
"EMS A is equipped with a Wurlitzer synthesizer and EMS B has a Korg Trinity. "

When I was at umich up until 2005, they had the Wavemakers rack in EMS B. The modules were pretty beat up, some were not even completely screwed into the rack. There was also a Moog 960 in the rack which was mostly non-functional. I don't think it was part of any curricular activity for years at that point.

Great studios!! The main audio studio (which required a more rigorous certification for unsupervised access) had a Euphonix CS3000 which was a weird thing to learn on.

I think my certification is still active so maybe I'll go exploring the next time I'm in town.
btv
I imagine that there are a number of hidden analog synths languishing in the dark corners of universities all over the country. I know of a moog modular up in the bronx that needs rescuing!
sascha.victoria
I know of a closet with 12 Xpanders, a few 2600s, Juno 106s, a bunch of other stuff and an Axcel Resynthesizer!
bkbirge
I know there was a huge E-mu Modular at the Chicago Art Institute back in the early 90's. The video media folks seemed to be really into talking it up. I did a grueling 48 hour straight session there once sound to picture and for all the talk about how great it was I couldn't get anyone to show me how to really use the thing. Pretty sad, it's probably in a dumpster somewhere now.

edit: cool, as of 2007 at least it was still there...

edit again: don't know why my images don't work lately, here's the link if you want to see...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FMBJEkaC8Lw/RdFvFyxjiYI/AAAAAAAAAnQ/TLqLcnPk WIo/s1600-h/saicwebsite196.jpg
MindMachine
Thanks for chiming in minime123. It is good to know that you are always lurking. Are there any speacial features of these rare modular machines that peak your interest and therefore may peak ours. The Wavemakers are such unique examples of modular synthesizers it would be nice to hear about some of their unique and rare distinctions.

And since you are so attached to this rare machine, what equally rare units would you consider in trade? Why do you consider them as equal? Why do you not want to sell the Wavemakers if it is up for sale? Are you starting a museum?

Thanks for a peek at the Wavemakers and for 'honestly' stating your position on selling/trading this amazing machine. zombie
ahmo
Hmm.. lets guess what might be as rare, My guess would be that a buchla 200 system thrown his way might tempt a wavemakers sale, although it is perhaps not as rare as wavemakers stuff.

Also, I have some gear that I wouldn't let o of unless it was to replace it with something equally as cool, so I can understand the sentiment.
BananaPlug
I came real close to buying a Wavemaker system around the end of 1980 but got some Serge kits instead. nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2