MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dark Star vs. SN Voice
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Dark Star vs. SN Voice
ritchiedrums
Anybody compared these 2. I'm considering picking up a Dark Star, but already have a custom built SN Voice. Is it worth having both? help
krisp14u
I sold my Frac Dark Star after I built my first SN Voice 8_)

I have 2 5U SN Voices and never looked back Mr. Green

I love them thumbs up
dougt
Is anyone making Frac (or euro) SN Voice front panels?
krisp14u
dougt wrote:
Is anyone making Frac (or euro) SN Voice front panels?

If any one makes one I would be in for 2 Frac SN Voice panels

I could get the guys who do my Euro/Frac Oakley panels to make some but its a minimum of 10 Panels and they ain't cheep until you hit 25/50 panels

But cheeper than scheffer

for 10 x 3 space Frac panels it would be around 20 GBP each + shipping maybe less I would need to check with them

anyone up for 8 SN-Voice Frac panels ?

also anyone want to design one Mr. Green
Cat-A-Tonic
If we could get the price down with a larger group buy,
I would buy 5 SN Voice panels at 3FU.

The design that someone did in brass was the cat's pajamas.
I wonder if he would mind his design being blatantly copied...
glacial23
I'd be in for a panel.
Adam-V
I have a bunch of SN-V boards to panel up and will be doing it in Frac format but I'm not ready to start designing them just yet as, even though I've been churning the DIY modules out of late, I still have a massive backlog to get through. It will probably be similar to the euro design I posted over at e-m but it will depend on how well everything can be squeezed between the rails.

Oh, and I have a DSC but even with 6 SN-Voices waiting to be assembled I woudn't want to get rid if it.

Cheers,
Adam-V
ritchiedrums
So was the Dark Star the same module as the SN voice?
Fnord
I'd be interested, if someone was interested in building me one. wink
jfm3
The Blacet "Dark Star Chaos DSC2000" and the SN Voice both utilize the same Texas Instruments SN76477N ("SN") chip to generate sound. The intended purpose of the chip was to make sound effects, not necessarily melodies. The SN Voice has a few more interesting features than the DSC, most remarkably a circuit that can take a V/Oct signal and produce somewhat accurate pitch out of the SN. It tracks close enough for government work, but it is fair to say that the focus of both modules is still bug music and fart noises.

Speaking as one who has been performing bug music and fart noises since 1998, and who owns two DSCs and a SN Voice, I'd say these days you should go for the SN voice. It sounds the same as any other SN based thinger, but it has more interesting features. I'd convert my DSC's to SN Voices if I didn't have this incredibly gorgeous stooge panel for one of them, or ever actually thought a second one would help. The fact that DSC boards are no longer made and TI SN76477N chips are getting hard to come by, the SN Voice may be your only option in the first place.
ritchiedrums
jfm3 wrote:
The fact that DSC boards are no longer made and TI SN76477N chips are getting hard to come by, the SN Voice may be your only option in the first place.

Thank You!
I have the SN voice and a Dark Star is currently on eBay.
Didn't want to let it pass without doing some research........ Enjoy the show!
Atticus
Fnord wrote:
I'd be interested, if someone was interested in building me one. wink

Me too.
photon
dougt wrote:

also anyone want to design one Mr. Green

heres my go at a frac SNV layout. Illustrator file avail. lemme know.

pete
Scott Stites
Sssssssssssteampunk, baby!

FWIW, the SN-Voice page is currently rather forked up. I was attempting a move from my old provider to my new domain, and used a WYSIWYG editor that turned out to be a WYSINWYG editor. I figured that out shortly after I deleted the content from my old provider.

I've got a real HTML package now, but the new site is still about a week away from getting updated to something that doesn't look like fail incarnate.
krelnarb
I still haven't finished my SN-Voice waah I just need to wire the panel to the board (BC Kit) but as soon as I look at the wiring "notes" I'm over come with temporary AADD. seriously, i just don't get it

I will never part with my DSC as it's the first module I ever built. I'll mount it on the wall with little antlers affixed when it's no longer used in any patches.
Adam-V
That's a pretty sweet panel Photon. Any chance of posting a pic of your full setup?

Cheers,
Adam-V
photon
Thanks, Adam.
Here's a shot from today:

Adam-V
Brilliant!

Cheers,
Adam-V.
Cat-A-Tonic
That is a gorgeous system Photon.
It looks like it is time to build a new cabinet.
Luka
nice bredboard setup photon
rezzn8r
Luka wrote:
nice bredboard setup photon

cool. I almost missed that for all the glory above.
photon
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it.

Quote:

It looks like it is time to build a new cabinet.

the new cabinet is already underway!
Scott Stites
SN-Voice page is readable now...

http://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/Pages/SN-Voice_main.html
anadeji
snvoice is nice! cant recommend one enuff
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1