MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSF (Official Release): ET GateStorm now available
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author SSF (Official Release): ET GateStorm now available
analogPedagog
Will be adding videos here:

Although there has been some forum discussion on GateStorm, we are officially announcing the GateStorm's release to our retailers as of today.

The current manual version is available for download on the SSF website in the news section. Check back often for manual updates as we are in the process of completing the first of the video tutorials to complement the reference guide.

After many hours of hard work, late nights and angry significant others, we are proud to announce the release of GateStorm. w00t

Very special thanks to the absolutely dedicated designer of the firmware, Rick Burnett of Erogenous Tones. Rick pushed far beyond what I would expect from any normal human being and is so amazing that he worked non stop to get this animal of a gate sequencer out and into our hands. applause

I have been truly humbled to work with such a diligent and motivated individual - Thanks so much Rick!

GateStorm, a collaborative module from Erogenous Tones and Steady State Fate, is designed to be an advanced Gate Generator with a highly flexible CV system with as much depth as you are willing to go. GateStorm was designed to be fun, intuitive, and more importantly, powerful.
Don’t be overwhelmed by how much information is shown to you on it’s integrated display, once you start using it, you will see just how important and useful seeing that much information becomes.

While we are putting together videos to demonstrate all the functionality, design, and use of GateStorm, here are some highlights of most of the features that we are putting into production.

Overall Features:
•8 Gate Generators (4 Complex Lanes & 4 Simple Lanes)
•7 Gate Inputs◦1 Clock Input for Syncing GateStorm to an external clock
◾Includes TAP TEMPO button as well

◦4 Local Gate Inputs
◦2 Global Gate Inputs (1 with integrated button to use when not patched)

•6 CV Inputs with Attenuator (Normalized to DC voltage)
•8 Gate Outputs (0-10V) with Integrated White LEDs
•320×240 High Contrast LCD screen
•1 Rotary Encoder with Pushbutton for Data Entry
•15 Buttons for Various Parameter Entry
•USB connection on rear for Firmware Updating
•24 HP
•Skiff Friendly (Very shallow)
•Power: +12v/-12v
•Current: [coming soon]
•Based on ChibiOS RTOS

Features Detail:
•Common Features for Lanes:◦Time base settings from /16 to *16 off master clock rate
◦Pulse Width settings form 1/32 to 1/1 (1/32 can be used for trigger)
◦Sync or Free running
◾Sync mode means changes ONLY occur at master clock boundaries

•Complex Lane Features:◦1-16 Step Length
◦Forward, Backwards, Palindrome or One-Shot Operation

•Simple Lane Features:◦Clk Density Function (Full Clock, or between 0% to 95% random)
◦Logic Operations with ALL 8 Channels
◾Invert any channel
◾AND, NAND, OR, NOR, XOR, XNOR

•Fully Customizable CV Matrix (Any CV to any INDIVIDUAL Lane Parameters:◦Common Lane CV/Gate Destinations:
◾Pulse Width
◾Time Base
◾Global Reset Trigger
◾Global Random Trigger
◾Global Transport Pause

◦Complex Lane CV/Gate Destinations:
◾Rotate Steps
◾Length Steps
◾Local Trigger Reset
◾Local Trigger Random

◦Simple Lane CV/Gate Destinations:
◾Logic Mode
◾Source A
◾Source B
◾Density

◦Global CV/Gate Destinations (Outside of Single Lane Settings):
◾Rotate Outputs
◾(Also has output locking to prevent certain lanes from rotating)

◾Preset Changing
◾CVBus (Used Mungo/MacroMachines Mechanism)
◾Absolute CV Value (Preset 1-8)
◾Incremental CV Value (Steps presets, 1,2,3,4 in circle, wraps around)

◾Global Trigger Reset (Resets ALL lanes)
◾Global Trigger Random (Randomizes ALL lanes)
◾Global Trigger Pause (Pauses Only Lanes with Pause Active)

•Additional Features of Note:◦10 to 400 BPM
◦16 Banks of 8 Presets Each
◾(Last Bank Used Loads on Restart)

◦Shallow Menus, All Functions Labelled (Most 2 deep)
◦Template System (8 Templates) for Creating Custom Starting Points
◾Template 1 is used as Reset Values for System

◦Macro functions to speed up making changes (or copying values across lanes)
◦Global operations to change settings for all lanes at once.
◦Transport control for stop/start/pause on selected lanes
◦Lanes can be muted from one of the menus
◦Random system PER patch, FULLY flexible PER lane:
◾Complex Lane Steps can be Full random, Euclidean or Euclidean with Offset.
◾Random Setting Matrix Page makes for easy visual of random settings

◦Random constraint system allows controlling WHICH enumerated random values are selected from.
◦Mod Matrix page shows ALL modulations (in real time) for easier configuration
◦CV graph on main page for easily seeing CV values coming in unmodified
◦CV value range of effect can be set PER modulation, both positive OR negative
◦Entire CV/Trig system can be disabled for making changes and not having the system changing modulations like patch switching at the same time.
◦System Settings:
◾Built in System clock divider to handle faster system clocks
◾Clock averaging settings (takes multiple samples) smooths out syncing of the clock (can do 1, 2, 4 or 8 samples)
◾ADC Smoothing, Slewing and Hysteresis System. Can be tuned for user expectation.
◾Step/Wiper color schemes
◾Display Brightness Settings

[/img]
dash80
we're not worthy
auxren
So is this guy going to replace my Pam's Workout with even more functionality? Or am I looking at it wrong?
trax
who has this in stock now?
mdoudoroff
Congratulations! Eyeing this one and looking forward to tutorial videos!
analogPedagog
trax wrote:
who has this in stock now?

Currently in stock at some of our US dealers. Please check the delaer list. More are getting them and we want to be fair by not posting delaers that already have them.

Update:

orders have shipped to some of our International dealers as well. Hoping to have some for everyone but they are going fast...
nnamesor
auxren wrote:
So is this guy going to replace my Pam's Workout with even more functionality? Or am I looking at it wrong?

I'm seeing it more as a Trigger Riot in functionality w/ a VERY different interface . . .
analogPedagog
auxren wrote:

While I would never say that a module should replace another from a different company, I think you would be very pleased with what GateStorm can do in the clocking department.
bobbcorr
Congratulations to the whole team!
ben_hex
Whoah Boy!
djhyperspace
SSF are not fucking about!
Spiked Lunch
Looking forward to seeing some more vids of this one :-)
TheSolenoids
Talked to Rick at Moogfest. He is the real deal as a programmer. While I am generally not wanting such depth that a giant cheat sheet needs to be constructed, Rick has put a lot of thought into the UI. I'm impressed and Gatestorm is on my to-buy list. Congrats on the release!
IstvanM
applause Looks great!
happyham
been reading the manual, way beyond my expectations. gonna pick one up as soon as they arrive at modular square.
Matos
Holy moly! The feature list made my brain bleed. Looks so good too! Nicely done!
analogPedagog
Yes, as deep and complex as it can go, you don't have to go deeper than the main page to get great results. In my initial testing of the prototype, I was also hesitant to get into it. But after familiarizing myself (in about 20min at NAMM) without any sort of manual, I was able to grasp it very easily and get really complex sequencing happening without going far into the capabilities. As you use it and get accustomed to the functions (which happens quickly) you will eventually go deeper as you ask yourself what more can it do wink
MvK
applause applause

really looks like something accessible for live performance. After a little time of practice.
goldenliustra
I find it pretty nice that the screen shows complete state overview of all gate sequences and their params.

It looks a but crammed with information firstly, but after a minute of studying the image – it actually all seems really nice thumbs up
Asym9
Congrats on the release. applause

I've been hoping to see this announcement for quite a while.
mdoudoroff
Reading between the lines in the docs, it appears the Gatestorm does not exactly restore its previous state when powered on. Is that correct?
The Illuminaire
mdoudoroff wrote:
Reading between the lines in the docs, it appears the Gatestorm does not exactly restore its previous state when powered on. Is that correct?

This is pretty important to me and I hope this is not so.
analogPedagog
The Illuminaire wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

This is pretty important to me and I hope this is not so.

GateStorm automatically saves the bank you were working in and returns to that bank when restarted after power down. The banks contain presets. Presets are stored/saved manually within each bank.
So as long as you save your present settings as a preset within a bank, your settings will be there when you power up.
mdoudoroff
analogPedagog wrote:

GateStorm automatically saves the bank you were working in and returns to that bank when restarted after power down. The banks contain presets. Presets are stored/saved manually within each bank.
So as long as you save your present settings as a preset within a bank, your settings will be there when you power up.

Right now, it’s hard to fully comprehend the implications. Hopefully demo videos will make it all clear!
analogPedagog
mdoudoroff wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:

Right now, it’s hard to fully comprehend the implications. Hopefully demo videos will make it all clear!

The beauty of it is that the basic options are very powerful on thier own and easy to comprehend. We are currently finishing up some quick videos to show just how simple it is to use. wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9