MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for a "basic waves morpher" module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Looking for a "basic waves morpher" module
AstroBoy
Is there a (standalone) module that can take one fundamental shape (saw, sine square , triangle) and turn in into another ?
Is it technically possible (within production reasons) for Intellijel as an example to make a dixie expander for that ?
would it be something you consider buy ?
basicbasic
Only ones I know of are:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bubblesound-instruments-cvws
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-184-2-voltage-controlled-cross fader-triangle-to-sine-waveshaper
ben_hex
The Bubblesound cvWS is fantastic!
mqtthiqs
Pretty much all the wavetable oscillators I know can do this (where to "turn" one waveshape into another means to crossfade from one to the other). First one to come to mind: the Shapeshifter; its first wavetable morphs from sine to triangle to square to saw.
mdoudoroff
Just Friends does something like this as an oscillator. The CURVE parameter basically swings from sine through triangle to square, and the RAMP parameter shifts the midpoint of the curve, encompassing saw, shark, PWM and others.
listentoaheartbeat
Any waveform to sine: tracking LP filter
Square to tri: tracking LP filter
Saw or tri to sine: wave folder (one stage, e.g. TWF)
Any waveform to square with variable pulse-width: comparator
Alternative way to square up basic waveforms: clipping amp
Bidirectional morph of any two basic waveforms: crossfader (IMO mandatory next to VCOs with multiple waveform outputs)
Square to spike: tracking HP filter

There is more but I am running out of time.. wink
strangeowl
Basically:

take a sine as basic sound and you can process it into different shapes with "distortion" - distortion meaning literally changing shape. Wavefolders are your friends.

take a complex waveform as a basis and a with a steep low pass filter you can filter out the harmonics, until you have a weak tri or a sine with a weak octave left, depending on the steepness of the filter.
strangeowl
PS: the word fundamental in this context is usually used for indicating the fundamental (lowest) frequency, using fundamental referring to basic wave shapes is slightly confusing
Footkerchief
The FM AID derives all these from a saw wave of arbitrary frequency: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-fm-aid-
geecen
There are loads! It's in fact a key part of a west coast style modular. All wave folders (toppobrillo, timbre, ufold etc) turn a tri into a sine, then into itself to add more harmonics. Distortyion modules usually square up waves. If you want a more perfect square you can put any wave into a comparator. Have a look at the random source serge wave multiplier for another flavour.

When you mix different waves together with a mixer you also get a new wave.

Finaly, something like the mutable kinks has a rectifier so you can have half one wae, half another.
AstroBoy
Suggestions are great really
but i was more hoping to find a control voltage morphing solution
rather then using comparators and filters that would outcome the same shapes the oscillator that fed it already have.

as for waveshapers :
take a Mannequins Mangrove vco as an example ..
from an oscilloscope point of view i can't think of any waveshaper that can do it's little tricks.
and still my goal here is to combine both waveshaper and a morpher for an ultimate wave twists

mmmcc666
FM aid has saw to sine, triangle and rectangle conversion...and phase modulation!
blinosynth
what about the mutable Warps?
or the Earwig, Rectifying Mixer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGlx8RmKhg0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKxvWaUsDmE
listentoaheartbeat
AstroBoy wrote:

Pretty much all of the shaping examples I gave above can be done under CV control, providing smooth morphs (except the comparator). Especially a crossfader is handy for this. Intellijel uFade is really good, or if you want to take it even further, have a look at the Toppobrillo Mixiplexer.
mskala
AstroBoy wrote:

What does that mean?
hinterlands303
I agree that a VC crossfader is a great way to do waveshaping along with with the other module types mentioned. I have two crossfaders in my small setup for this reason (Malekko Fade and SSF/WMD Blender). I also have fm aid and uFold for shaping along with with an Optodist for squaring things off. Using these different wave shaping modules along with crossfaders gives you some really interesting shapes indeed. Mannequins Mangrove seems really cool but I don't see a lot on the scope that can't be done with other modules (you just need them in the right series) except for those weird frequency jumps.
ben_hex
geecen wrote:

Finaly, something like the mutable kinks has a rectifier so you can have half one wae, half another.

For a real quick and easy "one half of one wave and one half of another" type thing the CFM Bipolar Half Wave Rectifier is fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuFjYCd-yf8

Clive
AstroBoy wrote:
rather then using comparators and filters that would outcome the same shapes the oscillator that fed it already have.

as for waveshapers :
take a Mannequins Mangrove vco as an example ..
from an oscilloscope point of view i can't think of any waveshaper that can do it's little tricks.
and still my goal here is to combine both waveshaper and a morpher for an ultimate wave twists

The waveforms in the video look more exotic than they sound.

If you want something harmonically interesting, how about oscillator sync and/or PWM?
raccoonboy
Sorry to bring up an old topic.

I've been looking at the cvWS. It looks great. What I want to do, is use it in conjunction with the .COM so that I can have an (in phase) sub osc of any of the main wave types.

The problem is I also need an in phase triangle to send to it to make the Saw. Is there any modules out there that will convert a square wave to a triangle wave? Or at least generate one in sync (and analogue)?

Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1