MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Stillson Hammer MKII: Tips, Tricks, and Assists
hawkfuzz
Dedicated thread for fun new things people find or help they need. No such thing as stupid questions.

I just got around to using the CV A/B controllers and still don't quite understand what is happening, but it has opened up a whole world of potential to me for live performances. Curious how others are using this function.

I've been placing CH 4 of Maths into the controller with a slow cycle that is triggered by a Tempi that is 4X slower than the sequencer, which creates a interesting key change every so often.

Anyone using a Pressure Points with them? I'd imagine it'd be the same thing but tactile.
Paranormal Patroler
I love using the CV A/B to change the notes and durations of the last section of a sequence, that way it doesn't play the same way twice but it still has a big resemblance to the original. The results are always very musical.
hawkfuzz
Are you, for example, taking an 8 step sequence and turning it into a 12 step sequence?
robotopsy
the Stillson hammer can be used like a drum machine

mt3


"Main sequencers used are the Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms (CR), Industrial Music Electronics Stillson Hammer MKII (SHMKII) and Make Noise Pressure Points.

Circadian Rhythms
Kick: Audio Damage Neuron sequenced by the CR.
Snare: Jomox mod.brane 11 sequenced by the CR.
Sub: Tiptop BD808 sequenced by the CR.
Hats: SSF Quantum Rainbow II sequenced by the CR and processed by the Synth Tech e560.
Percussion: Cylonix Shapeshifter sequenced by the CR and processed by the Modcan Multimode.
Arpeggio: intellijel Dixie sequenced by the CR and pressure points. processed by the Modcan Dual Delay.

Stillson Hammer MKII
Bass: Roland 512 and 521 sequenced by the SHMKII.
Chords: Make Noise Telharmonic sequenced by the SHMKII, processed by he cwejman MMF1 and tiptop audio ZDSP with Valhalla DSP Shimmer card.
Lead: Intellijel Atlantis sequenced by the SHMKII and processed through the Qu-bit RT60."
Baddcr
My top tip for the week is to use two channels (or more) of the SHMKII to both sequence the Piston Honda and to select the wave form - this can be done very precisely - it's absolutely incredible!

An advanced version of this patch is to use a third channel to sequence the envelope decay on the Double Andore MKII

Just sheer bloody brilliance!
hawkfuzz
I'm aggressively trying to save to get the Hertz Donut. I'd love to not have to setup all my sound sources before every time I perform.
mt3
robotopsy wrote:
the Stillson hammer can be used like a drum machine



hyper
Paranormal Patroler
mt3 wrote:
"Main sequencers used are the Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms (CR), Industrial Music Electronics Stillson Hammer MKII (SHMKII) and Make Noise Pressure Points.


I honestly don't know how you live with a system like that and haven't yet bought an Alyseum MS-Matrix yet. It was designed for systems exactly like yours! love
mt3
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
mt3 wrote:
"Main sequencers used are the Tiptop Audio Circadian Rhythms (CR), Industrial Music Electronics Stillson Hammer MKII (SHMKII) and Make Noise Pressure Points.


I honestly don't know how you live with a system like that and haven't yet bought an Alyseum MS-Matrix yet. It was designed for systems exactly like yours! love


Not my system. It's jafbox's.
w00t
Baddcr
It takes a bit of work to dial it in but you can create really weird multi-stage envelopes with a slow clock division and full slide between 'notes' very strange, but great fun!
auxren
Make everything random!
hawkfuzz
@baddcr that's an awesome idea. I'm gonna try it.

Picked up a keystep. Gonna see if I can play with the live recording function and see if it allows for the swing or automatically quantizes.
Worwell
Great thread idea. I hope it stays focused and doesn't turn into IT questions. I have a SHmk2 coming with a piston honda (and this picket thing). I feel like they are my Verbos Multistage and Braids on steroids.

My collection of ideas to try so far. Keep em' coming everyone.

I just got around to using the CV A/B controllers and still don't quite understand what is happening, but it has opened up a whole world of potential to me for live performances. Curious how others are using this function.

I've been placing CH 4 of Maths into the controller with a slow cycle that is triggered by a Tempi that is 4X slower than the sequencer, which creates a interesting key change every so often. -hawkfuzz

My top tip for the week is to use two channels (or more) of the SHMKII to both sequence the Piston Honda and to select the wave form - this can be done very precisely - it's absolutely incredible!

An advanced version of this patch is to use a third channel to sequence the envelope decay on the Double Andore MKII - baddcr

Make everything random! auxren
carvingcode
Here's my tip:

It's a good idea, when setting up a melodic or bass line, to choose an appropriate Range that suits the line. A setting of '1-3u' or '2-4u' is good for most melodic lines, while '0-2u' may be chosen for bass lines.

Those 3 Range settings each have a spread of 2 octaves. The sliders' ranges are each divided across 2 octaves, from low to high.

A Range setting of '0-8u' has the sliders' ranges divided across 7 octaves. The sliders' positions are much closer together in a Range of '0-8u' than '1-3u'. This can affect a pattern you've already programmed if you decide later to set the Range to the 'correct' value.

But, interesting tonality changes are possible with a melodic line you've programmed in, say at '1-3u', if you shift the Range to other settings. This could provide some randomness and alteration of the original melody or bass line.

Have fun!
Worwell
carvingcode wrote:
Here's my tip:

It's a good idea, when setting up a melodic or bass line, to choose an appropriate Range that suits the line. A setting of '1-3u' or '2-4u' is good for most melodic lines, while '0-2u' may be chosen for bass lines.

Those 3 Range settings each have a spread of 2 octaves. The sliders' ranges are each divided across 2 octaves, from low to high.

A Range setting of '0-8u' has the sliders' ranges divided across 7 octaves. The sliders' positions are much closer together in a Range of '0-8u' than '1-3u'. This can affect a pattern you've already programmed if you decide later to set the Range to the 'correct' value.

But, interesting tonality changes are possible with a melodic line you've programmed in, say at '1-3u', if you shift the Range to other settings. This could provide some randomness and alteration of the original melody or bass line.

Have fun!


Another solid tip. I can't wait to get this thing in the rack.

Are early adopters finding good use for the A/B controllers. How do you find yourself patching them?
hawkfuzz
I've been messing with them a lot but I still don't know what the hell I'm doing. I'm guessing when you hold the A/B button and select the parameters the slider is the amount of offset available and the knob attenuates that...and the incoming CV.... seriously, i just don't get it

I don't know what it does still...but use it...it's fun.
auxren
I've been using the A/B CV in to add some randomness to my sequences to keep them from being too repetitive.

For example, I'll have a sequence, and I'll have a CV in only effect a few of the steps. Then I can do something like throw a wogglebug random out into a CV input on the SH and get some variation on the sequence. When you have a scale set for the sequence and a CV in changing the pitch, the pitch still adheres to the sequence. Pretty awesome.
strontium
Edit:

Sorted, just me being dense.
kmeyerpdx
robotopsy wrote:
the Stillson hammer can be used like a drum machine



Random aside: Where can I find the dummy patch cables with the LED in the tip that are used in this video? Anyone know?
robotopsy
Most of them I made myself .... it's a lot cheaper but it's kinda tricky cuz everything is tiny space in the jack and you got to put the resistor correctly.

And be informed that it can attenuate the signal a bit since the LED eats some of the voltage.

If you're rich enough you can buy some from Division6.
but with some ebay parts I was abled to make lot's of them for ridiculously cheap applause

http://www.analoguehaven.com/division6/jacklight/

kmeyerpdx wrote:
robotopsy wrote:
the Stillson hammer can be used like a drum machine



Random aside: Where can I find the dummy patch cables with the LED in the tip that are used in this video? Anyone know?
Baddcr
Worwell wrote:
Great thread idea. I hope it stays focused and doesn't turn into IT questions. I have a SHmk2 coming with a piston honda (and this picket thing). I feel like they are my Verbos Multistage and Braids on steroids.

My collection of ideas to try so far. Keep em' coming everyone.

I just got around to using the CV A/B controllers and still don't quite understand what is happening, but it has opened up a whole world of potential to me for live performances. Curious how others are using this function.

I've been placing CH 4 of Maths into the controller with a slow cycle that is triggered by a Tempi that is 4X slower than the sequencer, which creates a interesting key change every so often. -hawkfuzz

My top tip for the week is to use two channels (or more) of the SHMKII to both sequence the Piston Honda and to select the wave form - this can be done very precisely - it's absolutely incredible!

An advanced version of this patch is to use a third channel to sequence the envelope decay on the Double Andore MKII - baddcr

Make everything random! auxren


The CV in adds at every stage so it's really easy to overcook things, start simple and build up with small adjustments and all will be fine smile

Wicked idea on the decay envelope programming, I've been doing this with LFOs and having fun, but why on earth I didn't think to sequence it up is mind boggling to me hehe - it's exactly the sort of thing I love doing and it just never occurred to me - thank you!!
Worwell
This module has exceeded my high expectations. Wow!

Background: I was sequencing with a Verbos Multistage, Rene and Tempi. All fine modules of course but limited in some ways. The Tempi in particular was difficult to wam up to. Sequenced drums with it seamed to result in either robotic or chaotic, with it hard to find sweet spots.

I've now had the SH2 for a week and it is wild. Sequencing drums with it is great with the burst and delay features. The randomize feature is very useful. (The only downside I see is that the build quality does not instill confidence.)

I like it so much that I went through contortions in my rack to downsize from Elements to Rings, cut the Tempi and a Planar and now have a second SH2 on the way. One for drums and the other for melody, bass, modulation etc.

The ambitious long term goal will be to patch the two SH2 together with the Verbos Sequence Selector. The possibilities are endless. In the meantime, here are a couple of drum examples using the SH2 to sequence two Basimilus Alters and a noise source. And, as always, Maths is prominently involved.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/275779538" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/275391272" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
ipassenger
Not tried this yet but just thought of it in the other Stillson thread.

You could get a 5th CV pattern from the unit by mixing the gate outputs in a mixer, by having them at different levels and gate patterns you could make all kinds of cv patterns at the output of the mixer. Plus as they are a summing from several (or all) tracks you could (through length and division differences) make very long patterns. smile
suboptimal
Is anyone programming the A/B inputs by feeding a channel from the sequencer back into itself?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group