MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel Bus Mode?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel Bus Mode?
rayce
In this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJpNmcU-dz4

The 218 is put into a bus mode that allows it to transmit midi over the internal bus. My Easel's 218 does not enter this mode. Is this functionality only available with new 218 keyboards or the LEM218? Does anyone know if there is a firmware update for older 218 keyboards out there or a hardware upgrade one can get?
abmusic
I think that video has the LEM218 keyboard being used, which is different from the 218e installed in the Easel.
rayce
Can anyone with a new easel test if you can put the 218 into bus mode?

Curious if there is a physical/firmware difference between the LEM218 and the 218 in new Easels.

Thanks
Streakin
LEM218 and 218 in the Easel are the same code loader and firmware.
rayce
Great! So is it possible to update the code loader and firmware of an older 218? I don't see that on the Buchla firmware page but I would love to give it a try.
Drillionaire
rayce wrote:
Great! So is it possible to update the code loader and firmware of an older 218? I don't see that on the Buchla firmware page but I would love to give it a try.

For some reason the 218 code loader and firmware aren't on the website.
Last time I checked, I couldn't get the downloads/support page to load at all.

I've attached a zip with the latest code loader and firmware for the 218.

You can check to see if your 218 has the code loader by powering it up with all 6 knobs fully clockwise. If the 218 is non-functional, it has the code loader and is looking on the bus for a firmware update (Just like holding down the remote enable button on a 200e module).

Something to be careful of is updating the firmware of a rev1 218. There is a resistor that needs to be added in order for the rev1 keyboard to work correctly with the latest firmware. I've included a guide showing where the resistor needs to go.
You can tell which revision the 218 is by the header that the MIDI input connects to. If it's 2 pins, it's rev1, if it's 6 pins, it's rev2.
rayce
Brilliant! Much thanks Drillionaire.

Yes it is a revision 1 keyboard so out with the old soldering iron and an atmel debugger.

Looking forward to this project.
Drillionaire
rayce wrote:
Brilliant! Much thanks Drillionaire.

Yes it is a revision 1 keyboard so out with the old soldering iron and an atmel debugger.

Looking forward to this project.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you've got any particular questions about the mod.
rayce
Ok after picking up an Atmel debugger, and upgrading the code loader and firmware on my early release Easel 218 plus doing the sustain mod I have a pretty awesome little 218e now.

As I was unable to locate documentation on the 218e bus mode I thought it might be worthwhile to post how it works here (though its probably self evident from darrenji's excellent video on using it with the 252e).

Happymastering
so if i have a new easel containing a 218 with the new firmware is it possible to do the sustain mod by doing the soldering job only or do i still have to upload the code loader plus firmware drillionare has provided?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1