MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

A quick spin with the new Quadnic Oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A quick spin with the new Quadnic Oscillator
jcn7
Hi all, so the new Studio Electronics Quadnic oscillator just arrived yesterday and I took it for a brief spin.

Wow...this thing is really amazing! You get 4 oscillators that can be internally modulated by using the "process" function (which can also be cv'ed!)

In this brief example I have 2 independent wavesequences going on by using the "process" function on each of them. The third oscillator is being internally "processed" by making a copy of it and adding it back to itself in a 2 note harmonic pitch (again using the "process" function. I didn't even use the 4rth oscillator.

Each oscillator can have an independent waveform (all digital), pitch, volume, and process function (which really makes this thing shine!) and of course you can CV each independently as well!

Crazy good stuff here! This is a drone machine like none other!!!

So what you hear in this example is just the Quadnic being self modulated by it's "process" function which then travels into my Division 6 Filtaire which is being cv'ed a bit by the new STE.16 dual LFO also from Studio Electronics/Eowave...and then ran through my Strymon Timeline delay.

Way to go Studio Electronics!!! applause applause applause

Hope you enjoy!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/271401708" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Also made this using the Quadnic as the underlying bases for this piece:(added 07/03/2016)

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/272044442" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
southberry
wow this is great ! this module seems to be very interesting !
isn't it to hard to navigate through the modes ? ("like press two times this button while turning this switch up to access to tralala mode ..." )
kwaidan
You can also play real four note or one-fingered chords with it. It's also great for playing fast arpeggios, trance-like melodies, and percussive riffs. (I hate trance but had some Equinox MIDI files lying around so . . . ) Honestly, it is a great value for the money.

Unfortunately, I had to choose between it and a 4vox, so I eventually sold it. However, at half the cost, the Quadnic may be the better choice, especially if you don't care about MIDI or loading your own wave forms.
kwaidan
southberry wrote:
wow this is great ! this module seems to be very interesting !
isn't it to hard to navigate through the modes ? ("like press two times this button while turning this switch up to access to tralala mode ..." )

It's sort of a minor pain setting everything at powerup. For some reason, the volume on oscillators 2-4 are turned off. You also have to turn off the chord mode for each oscillator . . . It's hard to explain, but once you play around with the actual module, it's easy to figure out.
jcn7
Well, I'm a newbie with it at the moment, but it seemed pretty intuitive for me. I'm really impressed with this one.
metalbox
Looks intresting thanks for the demo.. there's not much hype on this module for some reason
dubonaire
jcn7 wrote:
Hi all, so the new Studio Electronics Quadnic oscillator just arrived yesterday and I took it for a brief spin.

Wow...this thing is really amazing! You get 4 oscillators that can be internally modulated by using the "process" function (which can also be cv'ed!)

In this brief example I have 2 independent wavesequences going on by using the "process" function on each of them. The third oscillator is being internally "processed" by making a copy of it and adding it back to itself in a 2 note harmonic pitch (again using the "process" function. I didn't even use the 4rth oscillator.

Each oscillator can have an independent waveform (all digital), pitch, volume, and process function (which really makes this thing shine!) and of course you can CV each independently as well!

Crazy good stuff here! This is a drone machine like none other!!!

So what you hear in this example is just the Quadnic being self modulated by it's "process" function which then travels into my Division 6 Filtaire which is being cv'ed a bit by the new STE.16 dual LFO also from Studio Electronics/Eowave...and then ran through my Strymon Timeline delay.

Way to go Studio Electronics!!! applause applause applause

Hope you enjoy!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/271401708" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

That was really nice! I'd looked at the Quadnic before and you've re-piqued my interest.
MindMachine
Beautiful tones and drones!!!! SlayerBadger!

Nice to hear a rare module in action. The SE line of Euro modules really is amazing feature wise, priced fairly, etc. I am picking up the 2HP Bi-Directional Router. The Sci Fi and a few others look good too.

All of their stuff is currently marked down at Perfect Circuit.

Thanks for the demo/tune. Guinness ftw!
READYdot
Yeah really interesting modules. But IMHO the fugliest around, colourscheme, graphics and typo, just incredible... don't they know some guy with a bit of talent? They aren't the only ones and yes this is an old, recurring discussion, but my esthetic sensibility and my job as art teacher (this year I teach graphics) just can't understand, how you'd release a product without taking in count the looks... my 1rst year students would do way better than those ugly pannels...
Paul Perry
READYdot wrote:
IMHO the fugliest around, colourscheme, graphics and typo, just incredible... don't they know some guy with a bit of talent? They aren't the only ones and yes this is an old, recurring discussion, but my esthetic sensibility and my job as art teacher (this year I teach graphics) just can't understand, how you'd release a product without taking in count the looks... my 1rst year students would do way better than those ugly pannels...

I sure feel sorry for your students mate! I can't see anything wrong with that art.. I guess most euroracks are going to look a bit pig'g breakfast owing to every maker having their own style - but it seems hard to put the hate on these guys, it looks like a nicely restrained nod to the early days of analog, the Skylon and all that.

Pray tell what you think it should look like, sir?
dubonaire
READYdot wrote:
Yeah really interesting modules. But IMHO the fugliest around, colourscheme, graphics and typo, just incredible... don't they know some guy with a bit of talent? They aren't the only ones and yes this is an old, recurring discussion, but my esthetic sensibility and my job as art teacher (this year I teach graphics) just can't understand, how you'd release a product without taking in count the looks... my 1rst year students would do way better than those ugly pannels...

I don't like the colour of this module but actually I think the Studio Electronics modules look OK when in a case together.

Just wondering, is your avatar representative of your aesthetic?
READYdot
Paul Perry wrote:
READYdot wrote:
IMHO the fugliest around, colourscheme, graphics and typo, just incredible... don't they know some guy with a bit of talent? They aren't the only ones and yes this is an old, recurring discussion, but my esthetic sensibility and my job as art teacher (this year I teach graphics) just can't understand, how you'd release a product without taking in count the looks... my 1rst year students would do way better than those ugly pannels...

I sure feel sorry for your students mate! I can't see anything wrong with that art.. I guess most euroracks are going to look a bit pig'g breakfast owing to every maker having their own style - but it seems hard to put the hate on these guys, it looks like a nicely restrained nod to the early days of analog, the Skylon and all that.

Pray tell what you think it should look like, sir?

Well for starters ditch that star thing, use of a modern font, reduced "pot circles", change of colours... etc. There are so many out there doing their job brilliantly, starting with Doepfer, along with Cwejman for the simple layouts. Sure it is a thing of taste, but you don't have to be sorry for my students, they are all very talented and would most certainly do better. In fact I think that is the first thing I'll make them do as a project for next year!
READYdot
dubonaire wrote:
READYdot wrote:

I don't like the colour of this module but actually I think the Studio Electronics modules look OK when in a case together.

Just wondering, is your avatar representative of your aesthetic?

As a teacher my aesthetic view is broad and varried, because I have to be sure not to impose personal tastes on the students. But yes my avatar is part of my tastes, skulls f.ex.
Zymos
I enjoy their aesthetic. I even pestered them to sell me a MIDI3 with their faceplate, cause I don't like the look of the Pittsburgh ones.

No accounting for taste...

Kinda interested in both the Quadnic and Grainy Clampit.
jcn7
Zymos wrote:
I enjoy their aesthetic. I even pestered them to sell me a MIDI3 with their faceplate, cause I don't like the look of the Pittsburgh ones.

No accounting for taste...

Kinda interested in both the Quadnic and Grainy Clampit.

Yes I'm also interested in the Gainy Clampit as well...not sure how much overlap there would be with the Quadnic...
jcn7
Just added a 2nd demo (this has much more going on as a piece of music, but the Quadnic formed the bases for this composition.)
Zymos
Not too much overlap- both are digital and kind of oddball oscillators and are made by SE, but take it in different directions.

Even if they aren't that comparable, your post made me go over to the SE site, and then I started paying attention to Granny too...
Electrostatic
Oops... Wrong thread.
what gives?
Am i the only one experiencing tracking problems?
EternalTurtle
`Been seriously tempted by this module
lauprellim
I’ve been working with Quadnic for a while — trying to get the most out of the four oscillators in a smaller rack. It might be better to have a click knob for changing between different waveforms, rather than a smoothly turning one — things can get knocked out of alignment too easily. And finally, the problem of having to retune everything on startup is annoying.

Even so, I haven’t given up on this module and continue to work on it. I like some of the effects you get when feeding it process CV, and don’t mind the visual design too much (but I agree it could be improved). Thanks to Studio Electronics for producing this!
SB-SIX
I also have it quite some time now and started to use it as single oscillator more and more, and it can make some really unique sounds with only a single osc. The big advantage is no retuning or anything is needed, it boots up the same way you left it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1