Noise Engineering Sinc Iter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:14 pm

pugix wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:Thanks for that! It seems the Dixie puts out a slightly hotter signal than the SI, and based on my subjective comparison at Control of how they each sound through a Polaris, the Dixie came out sounding a bit more "3D," and it took better to pre-filter overdrive. That said, as usual, in a mix and with some compression, this is all moot. And the SI clearly proves its worth in the wavefolded, phasey VCO cluster, and noise timbres it's also capable of.
From the Sync Iter manual: Pressing and holding PITCH for two seconds will toggle the pitch-based amplitude compensation.

Was the comparison done with this feature switched off? Otherwise higher pitches will be lowered in amplitude in proportion to the energy of the waveform (I think).

Edit: Yes I have a Sync Iter!
No I did not switch this off. Like I said above, I think this was more the Dixie waveforms being louder than the Sinc Iter being more quiet. I tried to compensate, but the difference was still audible. Also looking at the oscilloscope it didn't look like the amplitude of the waves was changing particularly. But I dunno. To be honest I banged that out pretty quickly because I was short on time. It was a far from perfect comparison.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Just stopped by to say--this module is brilliant! Originally thought it was a stripped down Loquelic Iteritas---no, no, and no. Utility oscillator, but with waveshaping, wavefolding, multi-osc phasing, quantization, and noise. This is a powerhouse of an oscillator--nutty good for 4HP.

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Anyone have anything negative to say about the Sinc Iter? Any drawbacks?
Seems perfect for a small setup.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:14 pm

The only thing I will say is that's it not cheap compared to other small oscillators. So if you just want very basic stuff you might do it elsewhere cheaper. That being said, considering the function and over all size, for me it's well worth it.

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:29 am

Yah, aside from the other features though, the internal quantizer potentially saves some money and definitely space.

Anyone have 2 of these? Would love to hear what that sounds like!

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:17 am

I think the price is in line with its feature set. The only continued drawback to me is that you tune it via a modal encoder, and for tuning I would prefer to have visual feedback of pot position.

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:44 pm

That's a good point. still seems to pack the most punch. Is the lack of waveform indicator also annoying?

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:27 pm

autopoiesis wrote:I think the price is in line with its feature set. The only continued drawback to me is that you tune it via a modal encoder, and for tuning I would prefer to have visual feedback of pot position.
I agree regarding price. But my point is if you want a small basic oscillator this is not it. There are cheaper options. This compact and feature packed. The price is excellent for what you get.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:I think the price is in line with its feature set. The only continued drawback to me is that you tune it via a modal encoder, and for tuning I would prefer to have visual feedback of pot position.
I agree regarding price. But my point is if you want a small basic oscillator this is not it. There are cheaper options. This compact and feature packed. The price is excellent for what you get.
Yeah, that's exactly the point I meant to make - it's not priced too high at all, since it packs in so much and so well :)

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Silver wrote:That's a good point. still seems to pack the most punch. Is the lack of waveform indicator also annoying?
Dialing in the waveforms is one of the things I like about the SI--it allows for the waveshaping/wavefolding functions, and it's fast to use. It's a different concept than most other oscillators, and that's its strength.

The things you don't get with the SI, are multiple waveform outs, a sub out, PWM, and linear FM in (although it does have phase modulation). My take is the size and features are valuable and useful, and you'll probably end up with some conventional oscillators. The SI has enough additive, algorithmic, and noise goodness, that it doesn't need a filter as a rich sound source. It can serve as a secondary oscillator, modulating and syncing with another oscillator, and it works nicely as an independent modulation source.

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:15 pm

The things you don't get with the SI, are multiple waveform outs, a sub out, PWM, and linear FM in (although it does have phase modulation).
That's helpful. I think of that list the thing I'd miss most is linear FM in. I know it mentions some crazy number of octaves it covers, but does it go low enough to use as an LFO?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Silver wrote:
The things you don't get with the SI, are multiple waveform outs, a sub out, PWM, and linear FM in (although it does have phase modulation).
That's helpful. I think of that list the thing I'd miss most is linear FM in. I know it mentions some crazy number of octaves it covers, but does it go low enough to use as an LFO?
Yes, it goes into LFO range, as well as having a unipolar out, so you don't need to offset the output.

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:47 pm

Just added this to my performance rack not too long ago, can't recommend it enough. I was really pleasantly surprised by how great it is in LFO mode. The perlin noise mode creates some really beautiful random modulation at slow rates. And of course the normal modes at audio rate sound great to my ears, it's nice to have all the sound shaping built in. Super versatile and definitely something that'll stay in my rack a long time.
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
WTB: Original Mutable Instruments Tides faceplate. Will pay handsomely. Send me a PM!

knifey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by knifey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Agree with all the above reviews of the Sinc Iter. Just got mine and am seriously thinking of grabbing one more. Can't recommend it highly enough.

cheliosheart
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cheliosheart » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:48 pm

This little guy took me by surprise. Sinc Iter quickly became my go-to oscillator just because it's so easy to patch and fast to employ. Super versatile yet simple to understand and very easy to tune.

Already have a second Sinc Iter which will soon work in tandem with a Cursus Iteritas. Really impressed with Noise Engineering lately.
>IG< • >MG< • >BC<

knifey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by knifey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 am

I'm also holding out for a Cursus. I'v played with the Loquelic and am totally gaga over it but would love to get my hands on a Cursus to compare the different modes. :banana:

Played with LFO-rates on the Sinc last night, in Noise mode modulating an Orgone Accumulator, and also in plain mode (with Mofo and pitch cv), and just having it spit out pulse sounds. Even those sounded great. Orgone phase modulating the Sinc is just madness.

The uni + bi output is another genius touch.

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 am

What or how have you been modulating yours with?

I find myself missing the FM input, but it is nice to send a slow LFO to the Morph/Fold input to get some interesting sounds.

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 pm

*bump*

I just came across the product page for the Sinc Iter and with such a huge range ... has anyone tried it at video-rates in a video synthesis system? Also, could you hit the Sync input with H or V outputs from say - a LZX Visual Cortex to sync it up?

Weird idea.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
http://www.answer-phone.org

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 am

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:*bump*

I just came across the product page for the Sinc Iter and with such a huge range ... has anyone tried it at video-rates in a video synthesis system? Also, could you hit the Sync input with H or V outputs from say - a LZX Visual Cortex to sync it up?

Weird idea.
I measured Sync Iter at over 46 Khz.

http://pugix.com/synth/maximum-high/

Notice that the Ieaskull F. Mobenthey Denum VCO goes up to 56 Khz, if you're interested in video applications.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

The Illuminaire
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Illuminaire » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:40 am

Love everything Noise Engineering does.

This quick riff video was done with one Sinc Iter, one Loquelic Iteritas, and one Cursus Iteritas stacked over one another. Patch notes in the description of the clip. :sb:
|IGMG|
əɹʌʇlʌʞ (Q2 CY2018)

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:45 pm

pugix wrote:
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:*bump*

Weird idea.
I measured Sync Iter at over 46 Khz.

http://pugix.com/synth/maximum-high/

Notice that the Ieaskull F. Mobenthey Denum VCO goes up to 56 Khz, if you're interested in video applications.
That's really helpful - thanks. Do you have any idea on the accuracy of Resetting it at say, video rates? I'm wondering if you can Reset it from something like the Visual Cortex and ... what the results might be.

Just exploring weird ideas for video.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
http://www.answer-phone.org

khyber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by khyber » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Jammed out the other day with my Sinc Iter:

I had one one previously for only a few days, I guess I was expecting it to be as versitle and traditional as a Dixie but it seemed too weird and digital for my tastes. I don't know what I was expecting really.

Fast forward a year or so, I picked one up this week and have been really digging it. I think the Optomix helps add a lot of character but great results with this as an oscillator, percussion source, and even LFO

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:52 am

Sinamsis wrote:I posted this in other Sinc Iter thread. Not musical by any means, but just twiddling through the different parameters:

[video][/video]
thats a good demo, thanks!
but why do you put an lfo into the phase mod? its clearly meant for audio rates..
all the time you put the dixie into the sync, i hoped you would just put it briefly into the phase in..:-)

are there any demos with the phase modulation?

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Can anyone comment on the slowest rates the SI can hit?

I once had a Malekko Osc and was really enamored with the phase cv input but then found out that the slowest LFO rate was something like 3-5 hz. Really looking for something to replace my Dixie oscs in lfo mode - 30 min cycles unnecessary but more than 10 mins could be cool.

It still makes me scratch my head why Mfgs (esp those as smart as NE) don't list these specs when they release a module..
-adnauseam

this space intentionally left blank

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 pm

They say it has a 23 octave range. 2^23 is 8,388,608.

If you assume the max frequency is a ridiculous 128kHz, that would make the minimum frequency 0.015 Hz, or 65 seconds per cycle.

Edit: oh, I see you want REALLY SLOW LFO rates and so it's still a question of how they set the range, nevermind :mrgreen:

Edit again: LFO, not envelope, I cannot words today
"music... a weird bunch of sounds that had no point but made things feel a little better"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Return to “Eurorack Modules”