Noise Engineering Sinc Iter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Brennanib
Common Wiggler

Post by Brennanib » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I really could use this in my small rig hoping to pick one of these up secondhand loving The form factor I don't have any NE modules but this one would be a good start!!

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Brennanib wrote:I really could use this in my small rig hoping to pick one of these up secondhand loving The form factor I don't have any NE modules but this one would be a good start!!
It was one of my first modules (I think I got it new but on sale), and it is incredibly useful, both as modulator and sound source.

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:54 am

Brennanib wrote:I really could use this in my small rig hoping to pick one of these up secondhand loving The form factor I don't have any NE modules but this one would be a good start!!
It's a great oscillator. The noise mode is super powerful as a smooth random voltage generator too!
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
WTB: Original Mutable Instruments Tides faceplate. Will pay handsomely. Send me a PM!

pablowdadon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pablowdadon » Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 am

Try to feed Cursus Iteritas into Sinc Iter phase modulation input.

:miley:

pmarchitect
Common Wiggler

Post by pmarchitect » Fri May 18, 2018 6:58 am

I have a sinc iter for sale if anyone is interested. Mint condition

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Sync Iter and Rubicon?

Post by Foghorn » Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am

I have been looking at this and think I might use it to replace the Dixie next to my Rubicon.
That way I can have my Dixie back in the main case, next to the other Dixie.
Has anyone used this oscillator in conjunction with a Rubicon?
Damn, the more I look at this, maybe I want this in my main case.
...BUT
I want my Dixie back :hmm:

The other one is lonely.

hmm yea
Foghorn

I can not even find a single post with both of the words "Sync Iter" and "Rubicon" in the post.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?

khyber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by khyber » Fri May 18, 2018 8:24 am

I've been using my Sinc Iter in place of a Dixie for a little while now. It has its pros and cons honestly. I like the sound of the Sinc Iter, but it's very digital of course. The Dixie's sound is a lot more multipurpose in my opinion, and I'm starting to miss it (and will be subbing out the Sinc Iter for a Dixie in my next rerack).

On the flip, Sinc Iter makes a wonderful LFO (from mild to wild). When not being used as a voice, I tended to use my Dixie for the same purpose, but the Dixie won't get beyond those basic waveshapes without some assistance.

No experience however with using it alongside a Rubicon.

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Fri May 18, 2018 8:47 am

I also swapped out a dixie for the sinc iter and agree some pros and cons. Personally I think if it's not your only oscillator the pros far outweigh. I basically ended up adding a 2hp OSC to do my more traditional oscillator duties (I missed the FM) and use sinc iter for its more complex waveforms, noise and LFO.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Fri May 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Silver wrote:Anyone have anything negative to say about the Sinc Iter? Any drawbacks?
Seems perfect for a small setup.
Negative voltage on the FM input is ignored. You can't lower the pitch with a negative voltage. So for example, if you sample and hold a bipolar LFO that goes into negative range, there will be a pitch bottom that's quite apparent, i.e. it will be on that pitch about fifty percent of the time. You'd need to offset it externally. L.I. works the same way.

The noise has a cyclical pattern in it that I don't especially like.

That is all. I like this module.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:53 am

Has anyone ever had an issue with the Sinc Iter where you can't unquantize it? i.e. the 12/24/00 switch seems to have no effect on mine. Is there a way to reset that?

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:55 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Has anyone ever had an issue with the Sinc Iter where you can't unquantize it? i.e. the 12/24/00 switch seems to have no effect on mine. Is there a way to reset that?
Do you mean when sending it 1v/octave CV, or turning the pitch knob? I'm not as familiar with the former, but the latter stops stepping when in green/fine tune mode.

yeatsvisitslincoln
Common Wiggler

Post by yeatsvisitslincoln » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:29 pm

scuto wrote:
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Has anyone ever had an issue with the Sinc Iter where you can't unquantize it? i.e. the 12/24/00 switch seems to have no effect on mine. Is there a way to reset that?
Do you mean when sending it 1v/octave CV, or turning the pitch knob? I'm not as familiar with the former, but the latter stops stepping when in green/fine tune mode.
Ah ha. Found the missing link. I was turning the pitch knob in the coarse mode expecting the switch to have an effect, but that's not how it works. It works correctly if I take an output from Blinds and turn the offset knob.

Thanks for your help!

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:48 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:Ah ha. Found the missing link. I was turning the pitch knob in the coarse mode expecting the switch to have an effect, but that's not how it works. It works correctly if I take an output from Blinds and turn the offset knob.

Thanks for your help!
Sure thing! Yeah, it was a head-scratcher when I first encountered it. I also have Blinds, and will have to try that. Thanks for the idea!

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 am

overly paranoid probably, but can someone confirm that this is a red stripe down module? I assume there's a "-" next to the 12V that's covered by solder but I don't want to blow up my 1st "bought new" module by assuming :eek:

cg_funk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cg_funk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:26 pm

dekemcculo wrote:overly paranoid probably, but can someone confirm that this is a red stripe down module? I assume there's a "-" next to the 12V that's covered by solder but I don't want to blow up my 1st "bought new" module by assuming :eek:
Yeah, you have it right. Just so you know, NE diode-protects their modules and if you had it plugged in backwards it just won't turn on - there's really no easy way to fry it.

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Thank you!! :party:

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:56 am

Any idea why this one is already discontinued after 3 years, without a successor? Any issues? I might want to buy one now...

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am

dbeats wrote:Any idea why this one is already discontinued after 3 years, without a successor? Any issues? I might want to buy one now...
If I had to guess why it was discontinued, probably low sales because it was costly to manufacture and sell. SI is a great module, and I still have two of them—never any issues. Super useful for a small oscillator with the wave folding control, noise output, and wide frequency range. Outstanding build quality and engineering, like all NE modules.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Hovercraft wrote:
dbeats wrote:Any idea why this one is already discontinued after 3 years, without a successor? Any issues? I might want to buy one now...
If I had to guess why it was discontinued, probably low sales because it was costly to manufacture and sell. SI is a great module, and I still have two of them—never any issues. Super useful for a small oscillator with the wave folding control, noise output, and wide frequency range. Outstanding build quality and engineering, like all NE modules.
What the 'craft said. It was one of the first modules I bought, and it will not leave my rack.

adnauseam
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adnauseam » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:18 pm

I have one and I really like it. I wish the output was a bit hotter but that's the only nitpicking detail I could find.

The really cool thing is that you can use it as an LFO and it has an adjustable start phase - when you reset it goes to the part of the cycle that you chose. The Wavefolding waveforms are fun at lower speeds. I don't really use the noise mode but I could see why it would be useful!

There are no other vesatile LFO/VCOs with adjustable phase like this afaik.
-adnauseam

this space intentionally left blank

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:02 pm

In speaking with NE, they told me that increased manufacturing costs ended up costing more than what retailers were selling the module for so they were actually losing money on it.

It's an amazing 4hp lfo/oscillator/Noise source. I'm glad I found one on the 2nd hand market and it won't be leaving my case anytime soon. The built in unipolar output is great for those picky modules that don't like negative voltages.

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:10 pm

This is too bad. Never got around to getting one.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

paranormind
Common Wiggler

Post by paranormind » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 pm

I concur with all the above. I got mine on the 2nd market as well. At first I was mostly just curious about the module, but it turned out it's one of the osc I'm the most consistently using. Plus, it can use the +5V too :P

To add a bit of personal opinion, I really like the design of the noise mode. One can get very interesting texture by simply modulating the morph level. One of my favorite patch is actually to connect a Plonk and a Sinc Iter to a ModDemix and use the SI to add a bit (or a lot) of crunch / subharmonics to the percussive sounds.

VM
Common Wiggler

Post by VM » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:46 pm

paranormind wrote: To add a bit of personal opinion, I really like the design of the noise mode. One can get very interesting texture by simply modulating the morph level. One of my favorite patch is actually to connect a Plonk and a Sinc Iter to a ModDemix and use the SI to add a bit (or a lot) of crunch / subharmonics to the percussive sounds.
This. In noise mode it's basically a morphable Quantum Rainbow 2. Sinc Iter for life.
Current curator of Perth Ambient.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:51 pm

adnauseam wrote:I have one and I really like it. I wish the output was a bit hotter but that's the only nitpicking detail I could find.
You might already know, but pressing and holding PITCH for two seconds will toggle the pitch-based amplitude compensation. If it's on, amplitude varies with pitch. I don't know how this impacts LFO frequencies.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

Return to “Eurorack Modules”