MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cassette Ambient Drone Swap-Share Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Cassette Ambient Drone Swap-Share Thread
GhostlyMostly
Hey fraynds Animal!

I am in for creating a future that holds plenty of nostalgia through sharing recordings made on modular and cottage crafted instruments, diy circuits and other tools used to record some drones to share with other wigglers who have similar interest . I listen to a lot of tape and have been going through some small boxes of stuff friends made, strangers handed out back in the 90's at old warehouse parties and other random occurrences. It would be rad to look back and have another box filled with recordings that wigglers choose to share and swap thru the mail on cassette.

I was thinking maybe groups of 5-7 people send eachother cassettes (at a time) of Ambient drone jams that can be reprocessed and run through more gear and swapped again or kept as a reminder or wherever your art takes you...

I am watching the storms today and recording some distorted droney dubbed out noodle that is the soundtrack to the coming rains... wouldn't mind sending it to a few sincere folks on here, who would also send me a cassette of some of their captured moments. Some of my favorite sounds, music, and pieces have come from this site over the past decade. So much inspiration... love

I wanted to get the wave in motion and this can take some other form, of course but here it is.
Once we get a starter group together of a few people, I will start shipping tapes to each individual and they can start shipping once they captured something to share. Maybe 60 minute tapes? 30? 90? Whatever you feel? Holler if sincerely interested and wanna swap drone textures.
sparood
Cool idea, I'm up for it although I can imagine being in the EU shipping will be killing.
GhostlyMostly
sparood wrote:
Cool idea, I'm up for it although I can imagine being in the EU shipping will be killing.

I was thinking we could possibly keep it local-national group level. After awhile I am sure people will post their recordings uploaded and get to meet others who may want to share regardless of the postage.
MutantLabs
I am in for this. Being from Germany, I can participate in the European wing of the thing.
Reminds me of a project on Gearslutz that I curated with another member where we recorded stuff on 4-track cassette tape track by track. Somebody just recorded one track, sent it over to a random next person who then recorded track #2 and so on.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/847108-join-us-4-track- cassette-trading-chain-letter-team-lofi.html

However, I have a (small) modular and plenty of cassettes and cassette recorders (2, 4 and 8 tracks) to work with.
MindMachine
I would be up for it.
Kentucky
I have kind of been doing a similar thing with 15 minute tapes, sort of like currency for my friends tapes. I'd like to play thumbs up
robvec
Really nice idea. I'd be keen to get involved - UK based.
robvec
I'm still definitely interested in this... Anyone in Europe want to arrange something?
Bonefish67
sounds awesome... I'm in.....
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJwlxnhj-EY/?taken-by=bonefish67

just picked this up for ripping vinyl and tape duplication. fun stuff
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJwd3XTj2l0/?taken-by=bonefish67
shred
i'm absolutely in! love trading homemade tapes with people
Guinness ftw!
MutantLabs
What we did over at Gearslutz was that I maintained a list of addresses of everybody who wanted to send or get cassettes.
If someone wanted to sign up, he had to send a PM to me and I'd add him to the list and PM the updated list to all participants.

That said, just send me a PM with the following info:
- Name, Address, Country
- Can be helpful to know what tape speeds, track counts and noise reduction system your deck(s) support(s).
MutantLabs
With Bonefish67 and me, we're two already on the "Modular Drone Tape Swap" list (please make suggestions for a better name).

GhostlyMostly wrote:

I was thinking maybe groups of 5-7 people send eachother cassettes (at a time) of Ambient drone jams that can be reprocessed and run through more gear and swapped again or kept as a reminder or wherever your art takes you...

I am really interested in re-processing / layering the stuff I am getting as well as I like to see others mess with my stuff to create something new.
So I just want to make sure that nobody gets upset when I do this.
Bonefish67
MutantLabs wrote:
With Bonefish67 and me, we're two already on the "Modular Drone Tape Swap" list (please make suggestions for a better name).

GhostlyMostly wrote:

I am really interested in re-processing / layering the stuff I am getting as well as I like to see others mess with my stuff to create something new.
So I just want to make sure that nobody gets upset when I do this.

by all means recycle my stuff as I will yours also.... can't wait to hear it........
MutantLabs
Bonefish67k I am not at home this weekend but I'll send a tape your way early next week. Usually takes about 10-14 days to ship from Europe to the US.
robvec
Awesome. Definitely don't have a problem with my sounds being reused and reprocessed etc.

I'm away for the next week but will get to work on my tape next weekend.
MutantLabs
Welcome robvec!. We're now three. One from the US, U.K. and Germany.
sparood
Wait, are we already do this thing now?
MutantLabs
sparood wrote:
Wait, are we already do this thing now?

Yep w00t.

First mailing list just went out via PMs.
MutantLabs
We're 4 now. USA, UK, Germany, The Netherlands.
robvec
So who are we sending tapes to? Everyone on the list? Or will you allocate someone for each of us?

Looking forward to getting this started! Rockin' Banana!
MutantLabs
Just send a tape to a random person on the list.
Any kind of system will most likely fall apart in minutes anyway :-).
Bonefish67
i will be recording all this weekend.......i will try to get a tape mailed to everyone next weekend. #funstuff....much love my folks....
-mike
MutantLabs
If my small post count here on MW made people feel reserved to participate, I can pass this over to a more "senior" wiggler. Just PM me.

Other than that, this thing and a day off made my creative juices flowing. I recorded four dronish / ambient'ish 5-6 minute tracks yesterday. My modular is tiny, but with a little effort a lot can be squeezed out of it.
Here's the patch for the track "Muddle":

Now does the hard part begin: Putting them into an envelope, getting stamps and bringing them to the post office...
sparood
Hope to record my piece by this weekend but it will be quite a busy one so maybe I have to set it back a week later. But no worry, your tape will arrive thumbs up

Do we send the tape to everybody or do we send a tape to somebody ?
robvec
Nice set up Mutantlabs - all the essentials right there! I have a similar number of modules that I combine with my moog voyager.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7