MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stillson Hammer MkII Mac Firmware Update with MPLAB IPE
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Stillson Hammer MkII Mac Firmware Update with MPLAB IPE
auxren
Made a little guide: http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating-industrial-music-electronics.ht ml

The process is very simple. I've only tried it on a Mac with a PicKit3 and a Stillson MkII. Should work the same for the other modules if you figure out what model MCU they are using.

**UPDATE and more info**
Multiple people have reported that it works using MPLAB IPE on a Windows machine.
Your rack must be powered up to do this. There are ways to power the PCU from the PicKit, but I'd just power up your module.
If you put the programmer in incorrectly (wrong orientation), you shouldn't hurt anything.
Diorn
Thanks for this, very helpful! I gather from the pictures i need the SH to be pluged in and powered on while programming?
auxren
Diorn wrote:
Thanks for this, very helpful! I gather from the pictures i need the SH to be pluged in and powered on while programming?


Yes, definitely needs to be powered on.
noisejockey
auxren, thank you very much for this writeup. Supremely appreciated.
mt3
thumbs up
winterhater
Thanks for this! Exactly what I needed
Mercutio
Hi

Thank you for the guide, I appreciate !

I'm located in Belgium.

If I understand I have to buy a pickit 3 ? Is there enough ? Cable ?

Do you have reference for a site ? (this one should work ? PICKIT 3

Thank you
Steam Shield
!!!Little guide = big help!!!
Diabolik!
does this work with Pickit 2 as well? its not recognizing mine
carvingcode
Diabolik! wrote:
does this work with Pickit 2 as well? its not recognizing mine


I read elsewhere that there may be an update to the P2 firmware required. Check in to that.
Worwell
auxren wrote:
Made a little guide: http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating-industrial-music-electronics.ht ml

The process is very simple. I've only tried it on a Mac with a PicKit3 and a Stillson MkII. Should work the same for the other modules if you figure out what model MCU they are using.


Thank you. This was very helpful.
Diabolik!
i can't get any of this to work. can't find any firmware updates for pickit 2 before 2009, and can't even upload that. neither the IPE method nor the other method are working correctly.

i got the pickit2 because the harvestman site said it would work better than the 3, but i can't get it to work at all. this is very frustrating. i've tried it on 3 different macs. what am i missing here?
casinoaddict
auxren wrote:
Made a little guide: http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating-industrial-music-electronics.ht ml

The process is very simple. I've only tried it on a Mac with a PicKit3 and a Stillson MkII. Should work the same for the other modules if you figure out what model MCU they are using.


Followed this last night with a PicKit3 and managed to update my Hammer without bricking it. Many thanks indeed!
auxren
casinoaddict wrote:
auxren wrote:
Made a little guide: http://www.auxren.com/2016/07/updating-industrial-music-electronics.ht ml

The process is very simple. I've only tried it on a Mac with a PicKit3 and a Stillson MkII. Should work the same for the other modules if you figure out what model MCU they are using.


Followed this last night with a PicKit3 and managed to update my Hammer without bricking it. Many thanks indeed!


There shouldn't be any concern with bricking. Unlike a firmware update with a bootloader, you are completely rewriting the firmware with the programmer so even if something went wrong, you can just erase and program it again and be back in business.
casinoaddict
Ah ok. Good to know smile
strontium
Worked for me using a PicKit 3 on Windows 10. Needed 2 attempts for it to program successfully for some reason. No idea why.

Thanks a lot for the guide SlayerBadger!
El_Miguel
Thanks auxren for you work!

But even with your help it didn't work out.
My Mac with MPLab IPE on it, could not connect. After hitting connect I could see these little stars in the window, nothing else happend. When, after a couple of minutes, I disconnet the Pickit3, it says "Connection failed".
I tried it with my wifes Laptop, there it connected, says something about unknown Software and that it will update the software...after a while comes the message "Connection failed"...
I tried to find out what went wrong, read some FAQ and in Forums, but did not get any further...
Anybody having the same problem or knows a solution??

El Miguel
auxren
El_Miguel wrote:
Thanks auxren for you work!

But even with your help it didn't work out.
My Mac with MPLab IPE on it, could not connect. After hitting connect I could see these little stars in the window, nothing else happend. When, after a couple of minutes, I disconnet the Pickit3, it says "Connection failed".
I tried it with my wifes Laptop, there it connected, says something about unknown Software and that it will update the software...after a while comes the message "Connection failed"...
I tried to find out what went wrong, read some FAQ and in Forums, but did not get any further...
Anybody having the same problem or knows a solution??

El Miguel



Hmmm... and the Stillson is powered on via your rack? Did you try putting the programmer in the other direction (it can't hurt anything if you put it in the wrong orientation)?
El_Miguel
Hi auxren,

the problem is earlier, the Pickit3 does not connect to the MPLAP IPE. So the firmware of the Pickit does not get updated, etc.
I am sitting here the whole afternoon and can't get it to work...
auxren
Your issue has me stumped. I wish I could help :(
El_Miguel
Hello auxren,

thanks again.

I went to my neighbor yesterday and tried the whole thing on a linux based Computer, it didn't work also.
Today we gona try it with Windows 7...
Maybe the Pickit is faulty??
If it is not working, I will send it back and get another one....

regards

Michael
El_Miguel
Hello auxren, hello Wigglers,

at my neighbor the Pickit3 worked and the indicater-LED´s looked different, the Status LED was not red, as it was on my Computer, it was greenish.

So I went back to my computer and had an idea, why not try it with a usb-hub....
and the status LED was greenish..then it found the Pickit, the programming worked fine...

crazy...so if you have problems with your Pickit, use a usb hub....

easy...but hard to find solution..I may say
auxren
El_Miguel wrote:
Hello auxren, hello Wigglers,

at my neighbor the Pickit3 worked and the indicater-LED´s looked different, the Status LED was not red, as it was on my Computer, it was greenish.

So I went back to my computer and had an idea, why not try it with a usb-hub....
and the status LED was greenish..then it found the Pickit, the programming worked fine...

crazy...so if you have problems with your Pickit, use a usb hub....

easy...but hard to find solution..I may say


Weird. Was it a powered USB hub? Strange solution but glad it works!
El_Miguel
The USB hub was not powered...I have the feeling the hub sorted something out...
_________________
Mercutio
Hi

The leds are red on my Pickit 3

Power /active / status : all red with usb hub powered
Power/active : all 2 red with direct connect to imac ou with usb hub not powered


And MPLAB cannot connect...

My OS is 10.10.5.

During the installation of MP LAB, i receive an error message but installation finished...i can open MPlab and follow instruction but can't connect to pickit and "program".

Any idea ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group