Cyclops

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

samn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by samn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:40 pm

eth wrote:Those look awesome Sam! So, could this "oscilloscope music" conceivably be reproduced with the Cyclops + Laser?

I'm pretty sure that is done with some kind of digital output not just analog oscillators

eth
Common Wiggler

Post by eth » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:59 pm

According to the creator's FAQ it was made only with audio-rate, stereo signals (192kHz sampling frequency) displayed on an analog Tektronix 5103N. One channel is x deflection, the other channel is y...

I presume the max frequency the laser can display without strobing would be a function of its kilo points per sec/galvanometer speed rating. The 20/30KPPS filter on Cyclops seems similar to an anti-aliasing LPF to attenuate signals beyond Nyquist frequency. Just curious; it seems like lasers have much in common with XY scopes! :spin:

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:54 pm

What's fun is listening to the Galvo's sing the same frequency's you are feeding them. Between the projector and my speakers, it's like stereo heaven!

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:10 pm

is there a criteria of certain features when looking for a laser? other than an ilda port

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:30 am

Speed of the servos and also brightness.

How bright and how fast are up for discussion at the moment. :help:

samn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by samn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:45 pm

barto wrote:is there a criteria of certain features when looking for a laser? other than an ilda port
I was looking for
1. RGB color - some lasers are only 1 color
2. Analog operation - Some lasers are TTL digital control which means they are 100% on or off, I guess this prevents some color combos and varying power levels (I would avoid TTL) More can be found here:
http://x-laser.us/faq/whats-the-differe ... r-control/
3. Galvo speed - 20-30k pps - the more affordable lasers are typically 20-30k pps speed, my limited understanding is that the higher rating your galvos the faster they are capable of scanning(tracing?). I have 30k pps galvos, I switched the cyclops to 30k mode and they were squeeling a lot, Lars told me to switch it back to 20k and I haven't had a problem since unless I crank up my modules.
4. Power - You can buy lasers at any power tbh, 1 watt is a very powerful laser. I just played a gig where they had 2 - 2.5w laser and they were shooting them at the crowd, this is pretty dangerous and since I don't know much about lasers I opted for 750mw laser. It is plenty powerful, you can see it during the day and you never ever want to look directly into it.
5. Quality - I bought an american made laser from xlaser but I have heard hit or miss things about chinese distributors on ebay. With all of the exploding phones happening :deadbanana: and lasers being kind of scary I was apprehensive about ebay

I don't know a ton about lasers but I lurked quite a few forums for awhile 8-)
TBH you need smoke machine too lol

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 pm

awesome sam! thank you. we should start a list of lasers that work - similar to the vector re scanning/compatible oscilliscope list

samn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by samn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am

barto wrote:awesome sam! thank you. we should start a list of lasers that work - similar to the vector re scanning/compatible oscilliscope list
np! add x-laser mobilebeat mirage to the list it worked perfect right out of the gate

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:34 pm

:sb: Thanks Sam! Did not know about analog vs ttl control. Handy info!

Please update us if you run into issues with your laser. I'm also curious about how well they travel/age.

Ddorward
Common Wiggler

Cyclops

Post by Ddorward » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:39 pm

I've got a laser world ds1800 coming-- diode laser-- hopefully it will work fine w cyclops

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:21 pm

^nice! keep us updated. are there any extra pre-cautions you guys are considering when performing with lasers live? like so you dont blind anyone?

blabberbytes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blabberbytes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:07 am

Does this work like an oscilloscope? can I use this?

https://oscilloscopemusic.com/oscistudio.php

jpmct
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jpmct » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:05 pm

goodbye $$$

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:36 pm

blabberbytes wrote:Does this work like an oscilloscope? can I use this?

https://oscilloscopemusic.com/oscistudio.php
OsciStudio rules. I've haven't used it too much but I've had some super nice results with it and the Vectrex.

EDIT: I just realized my post was off topic. My bad!

10 Miles High
Common Wiggler

Post by 10 Miles High » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:04 am

Hi folks,

do I understand right that having a LZX Cyclops and, say, a x-laser mobilebeat mirage - I could do the vector rescanning thing but without a scope and a camera ? Just the Cyclops and the laser instead (well, some more LZX modules for ramp and mixing also) ??

10 Mh

Return to “Video Synthesis”