MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rossum Control Forge and Satellite
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author Rossum Control Forge and Satellite
Dogma
it was decided that this deserves a separate thread
Theres an incredible demo from Super booth i think - ill try and find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luaTc1Hzst8

The possibilities are daunting but so musical....cant wait - release Slated for August - no pricing s of yet though...
ben_hex
That official Superbooth channel I think is going missed and unnoticed by many. It's a great resource.
leeski
thumbs up exciting stuff
Marco Alpert

Thanks, Dogma, for starting this. Great timing, as Control Forge has just entered beta.

As we mentioned over in the all-things-Rossum thread , we had originally hoped to have it released just about now, but as we played with development versions, we realized we could add some functionality that would enhance both capability and ease of use. We're confident that you'll think it was worth the additional wait.

Over the next few weeks, I’ll cover some of the new capabilities here. And feel free to ask questions.
NoMoreNightmares
Will the Satellite be shipping close to the control forge's initial ship date?
scottmoon
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t hihi hyper applause we're not worthy thumbs up woah It's peanut butter jelly time!
Marco Alpert
NoMoreNightmares wrote:
Will the Satellite be shipping close to the control forge's initial ship date?

Satellite should be showing up about a month or so after Control Forge.
NoMoreNightmares
How are presets shared from a Control Forge to a Satellite? I was looking at the module, and it wasn't particularly clear.
matttech
lookin seriously sexy!

Check your inbox - order gone in! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
mdoudoroff
NoMoreNightmares wrote:
How are presets shared from a Control Forge to a Satellite? I was looking at the module, and it wasn't particularly clear.

Patch cable, IIRC. The idea is you build them in Control Forge, patch it to a Satellite, transfer them over the patch cable, then you can remove the patch cable.
Marco Alpert
mdoudoroff wrote:
NoMoreNightmares wrote:

Patch cable, IIRC. The idea is you build them in Control Forge, patch it to a Satellite, transfer them over the patch cable, then you can remove the patch cable.

That's exactly it. Once the data's been transferred, the Satellite is completely independent and self-standing.

A second option is to back up your Control Forge data to a file and then load that file into a Satellite. In that case, the Control Forge and Satellite don't have to be in the same place. Of course, people can also share and exchange presets and sequences that way.
NoMoreNightmares
That seems straightforward. Thanks for all the answers!
Marco Alpert
Just thought I'd pop in to let everyone know that we've officially announced the price of Control Forge as $499.00 in the US.
Matos
I'd buy that for a dollar (times 499)
Very excited about this. Any idea on the satellites?
Marco Alpert
Matos wrote:
I'd buy that for a dollar (times 499)
Very excited about this. Any idea on the satellites?

Thanks! We should be announcing the Satellite price in about a week.
mdoudoroff
Marco Alpert wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

I will be quite amazed if they get either the Control Forge or Morpheus out for less than US$550.

No word yet. But we'd love to beat that prediction.

Well, I guess I’m amazed. A little bit. lol
Marco Alpert
I mentioned above that I’d cover some of the new capabilities that we added to Control Forge during development. A number of them have to do making it easier to create flexible patterns of more than 8 segments, so I thought I'd describe them here.

In our original Control Forge spec, the Preset Sequencer was intended as the way to create a pattern of more than 8 segments. And while it’s quite powerful, particularly when you want the progression from one preset to another to be controlled by triggers from another module, if all you want to do is have patterns longer than 8 segments, you'll have to do some internal patching, typically using one of Control Forge’s triggers patched into the sequencer’s INC input to move from preset to preset.

With that in mind, as development progressed, we decided we wanted to make it easier to create multi-preset patterns without physical patching or the need to use either of the two physical triggers. So we added three ways to do that:

1. The simplest is to use the new capability of having a Jump Target not only be able to target another segment in the preset, but to target any other existing preset. Simply put an “Always at End” conditional jump in the last segment of a preset and make the Jump Target the Preset that contains the next part of your pattern. You can do this for as many presets as you need to create patterns of virtually any length with no patching at all.

2. We’ve also added Sequence INC, DEC, and RESET targets to the available Jump Targets. When the associated condition evaluates true, the equivalent of an INC, DEC, or RESET trigger is sent to the Preset Sequencer without the need for patching and without using either of your available triggers.

3. Finally, we come to AutoChain. AutoChain was created to handle two very specific multi-preset circumstances: A multi-sequence retriggerable pattern (like a long syncable LFO), and a multi-sequence “envelope-like” pattern with retriggerablity, an optional sustain section, and a “release" section that’s jumped to on gate fall.

Here’s how it works:

- An AutoChain pattern is created in numerically consecutive preset locations. Absent any other specific programming, each preset in an AutoChain will automatically proceed to the next preset.

- All member presets of an AutoChain must be set to one of the member functions (Start, Continue, or Release) in their Global menus. Typically, the first preset in the chain will be set to Start. Subsequent presets will be set to Continue. If the pattern is to be an envelope-style, there should be a Release preset at (or near) the end.

- The Gate Rise function of each member preset is set to “Start.” This causes a Gate Rise in any of the AutoChain members to trigger a Reset to the beginning of the “Start” preset.

- If the pattern is to be an envelope style, the Gate Fall function of each member preset should be set to “Release.” This causes a Gate Fall in any of the AutoChain members to trigger a jump to the beginning of the “Release” preset.

- Note that there can be additional Continue presets after the Release preset, so you can have very long complex releases.

So, between the Preset Sequencer, the direct “Jump to Preset” command and AutoChain, Control Forge can give you CV contours of virtually any length and functionality.
Matos
Sounds amazing. This module is so plump with potential!
mdoudoroff
Yeah, I’m pretty excited about this module. It should allow us to do so many things we simply couldn’t do before, except maybe with computer software.

My main concern now—soon to be addressed—is how fussy Control Forge is to use in practice.
Villarceau
This module looks to being amazing for so many reasons. I do have a question though. Will it be possible to move around the sequences using CV instead of triggers? Because if this would be possible, this would allow quantizing to arbitrary scales/tunings defined by the voltages per stage, right?

Edit: changed quantifying to quantizing.. I need to sleep.
Marco Alpert
Villarceau wrote:
This module looks to being amazing for so many reasons. I do have a question though. Will it be possible to move around the sequences using CV instead of triggers? Because if this would be possible, this would allow quantizing to arbitrary scales/tunings defined by the voltages per stage, right?

Edit: changed quantifying to quantizing.. I need to sleep.

If you are asking if it's possible to randomly access sequence steps via CV, I'm afraid not. You can go forward or backward (via external triggers or as the result of a conditional jump), but you can't otherwise jump around.
Marco Alpert
But as long as I’m here, I might as well mention that one of the other additions during Control Forge development was to substantially increase the update rate to allow it to operate well up into the audio range. That lets it function as a wavetable audio source with almost unlimited wavetable length. With the ability to manipulate segments of the wavetable in real time, either manually by front panel controls or by incoming CVs and gates, it’s major fun. We’ll try to get an audio example up later this week.
Matos
Woah. That's over the top like Stallone!
numan7
thumbs up!

cheers
Marco Alpert
Just a quick note that we have implemented what we promise is the last feature enhancement before production. The Time parameter for each segment can now be set from .0001 of a second to 9999 seconds (Over 2.75 hours)!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 1 of 23