MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frequency, Pitch, Overtones, Harmonics and Timbre
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Frequency, Pitch, Overtones, Harmonics and Timbre
alijamieson
Hey guys and gals

I've written a piece that covers everything from the relationship between pitch and frequency, the harmonic series, overtones, tuning systems like just intonation and equal temperament, some basic subtractive synthesis waveforms and timbre.

Sort of sits somewhere between production and theory. Hope some of you get something out of it!

Frequency, Pitch, Overtones, Harmonics and Timbre

Comments, feedback, criticism, corrections all welcomed. Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.
Dcramer
Sweet! w00t
hawkfuzz
Good reads. Actually lead me down the rabbit hole of techniques. Thanks.
crispy_porker
Great, informative read with lots of jumping off points for further investigation.

You had me chuckling at 'Pitch Please' but I literally snorted tea out of my nose at 'Nonce Cents'. Bravo sir.
doskonale
nice one !
alijamieson
crispy_porker wrote:
...but I literally snorted tea out of my nose at 'Nonce Cents'. Bravo sir.

Glad someone got that, it's gone largely under the radar!

Thanks for kind words all! Chugging Beers

razzkazz
Nice, thanks smile
timoka
thank you very much for this!
simolasco
Very nice thank you!
OTA
Great stuff man!! Thanks!!
HardwareVirgin
Wowee! That's going straight into bookmarks... Really loving the video demos for visual context.
meursault
Good!...
Interesting and useful.
I was thinking about getting a Make Noise 0-Coast, which supposedly has some exclusive properties when it comes to overtones. This will aid me in my decision making process for sure, hopefully. cool
harlequin
Thanks!

Nicely writte
alijamieson
Thanks so much everyone!
jgonzsf
Just came across this - great resource!
felixer
meursault wrote:
for sure, hopefully.

definitely maybe. i think i'm certain. isn't language a beautiful thing Mr. Green
BLX
What a really great bit of work. It took me, honestlty, a few days of reading, rereading and digesting but totally worth it. Nice job eek!
alijamieson
BLX wrote:
What a really great bit of work. It took me, honestlty, a few days of reading, rereading and digesting but totally worth it. Nice job eek!

Thanks fella, it took me years of learning to write it, I guess! Glad someone's getting something out of it It's motherfucking bacon yo
alijamieson
Hello

I've sort of updated this topic and taken it elsewhere with this. It's a slightly more hardcore look at tuning and theory rather than timbre and waveforms. Maybe it's of some interest to some of you!

http://alijamieson.co.uk/2017/12/describing-relationship-two-notes/
egothelivingplanet
alijamieson wrote:
Hello

I've sort of updated this topic and taken it elsewhere with this. It's a slightly more hardcore look at tuning and theory rather than timbre and waveforms. Maybe it's of some interest to some of you!

http://alijamieson.co.uk/2017/12/describing-relationship-two-notes/

Cheers for creating and sharing this. Very useful. So much to learn.

Currently working my way through the further reading section...
Muzone
Really enjoy how you write, leads me into the subject from a direction I wouldn't always find - thanks for sharing smile
Cornelisjuh
Excellent read, thank you.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1