MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I made some DotCom to MOTM power cables tonight
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author I made some DotCom to MOTM power cables tonight
JohnLRice
Since I'm lazy, is I bought one of these DotCom QDH20 power harnesses:
http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html

And I also bought a bunch of these CONN RECEPT 6POS 24AWG MTA156 connectors:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords =A31244-ND

I cut off each DotCom power cable from the harness and put a MTA156 connector on the end. Keep in mind normal sized MOTM power connectors probably wont work well since they are for 18 gauge wire.

Now I can plug my DotCom (and Moon, STG, COTK, etc) modules into my Synth Tech MOTM distro boards.
dude
that solves that problem! nice.
sandyb
good stuff john.
i'm going to sticky this.

sandy
bwhittington
It seems worth pointing out that you can do the same thing working the other way, wiring an MOTM connector to a Dotcom harness to power MOTM modules with a Dotcom power supply. The negative is the nest of wires that is the Dotcom harness. The positive is a more robust amperage and the inclusion of a +5v rail.

Cheers,
Brian
scarymcclary
this shall come in handy.
JohnLRice
Hey, I swear I didn't copy him but check out fantastic Dave Brown's wiring diagram on how to make these cables! applause

http://www.modularsynthesis.com/moonmodular/m569/MOTM-Dotcom%20power%2 0cable.pdf
JohnLRice
I was making a few more of these cables tonight and since my camera was in reach I thought I would make a clear picture of how the MOTM end gets wired:

Luka
thats the dotcom end though isnt it
JohnLRice
Luka wrote:
thats the dotcom end though isnt it

Nope! razz Mr. Green It is a MTA .156 connector that plugs into a MOTM distro board. The cable (and connector at the other end) were cut off of a Synthesizers.com DC Power Harness.

I'm using these cables to power modules, that have DotCom (MTA .100) power headers, from my DIY MOTM style power supplies.
JohnLRice
Made a big batch last night:

I also needed a couple with 4 pin MOTM connectors (for modules that don't use +5v because I was out of 6 pin header positions on the distro!):

And here is one frankenstien adapter so I could connect a COTK module with a 14 pin power connector to a MOTM 4 pin power header!:

Here they are in use:
decaying.sine
Great work John. You always have nice and clean looking DIY builds!
JohnLRice
decaying.sine wrote:
Great work John. You always have nice and clean looking DIY builds!

Thanks Brian. we're not worthy
Entrainer
How to you use the T-Handle to get the wire in?
I ordered everything I needed, thanks to the
great information here.

But now I'm trying to figure it out...

Do you have to cut through the insulation first
before inserting?

Do you press the wires in one at a time?

EDIT:

I got power! Still don't know if I'm using the
insert tool correctly. Modcan's look a lot neater.
I just forced the wire in one at a time and took
a chance powering up. My first "DIY" lol
russma
JohnLRice
Yeah, do one wire at a time. No stripping needed, the connector pins cut through the insulation.

Interesting to note: if you are doing MTA 0.100 (DotCom) connectors, the insersion tool will work orientated both ways, BUT, for MTA 0.156 (MOTM/MODCAN) the insertion tool only works one way! I'll often gently stick the tool in a hole without a wire to make sure I have it right when doing 0.156 connectores.
Entrainer
Cool, thanks Idiotboy and JLR.
rico loverde
hey guys i thought this would probably be the best place to ask. so i need to straighten out my power supply issues. right now I have a sythnesizer.com entry system using the supply it came with (Q137) and a MOTM650 (using the 950 board) running off of it

then I have my DIY stuff, mostly MFOS and Bridechamber stuff and I have 2 MFOS wall wart power supplies running those. Its not the prettiest supply but it is safe and works well.

Ultimately what Id like to do is run my DIY stuff off the synth.com supply since I have a butt load of open power cables left. Whats the best way to go about this. It seems like all the modules in the diy world use those big 4 pin headers, and the synth.com and MOTm are 6

thanx guys, thought id play it safe and ask the experts!!!
sandyb
rico loverde

read this thread smile
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739
rico loverde
thanx sandyb
sonicwarrior
Btw. for the Europeans: AWG24 is like 0.25 mm² wire. But you may want to choose one with a bigger insulation.
0.5 mm² is too big.
frokka
Are these cables for sale?
- and do you have any 4pin to 3pin cables as well?
JohnLRice
frokka wrote:
Are these cables for sale?
- and do you have any 4pin to 3pin cables as well?

Hi frokka and welcome to Muff's! w00t

I've only made these for my own use and don't sell them to other people. If i wasn't so far behind on everything I'd consider making a batch to sell but . . . Dead Banana

Maybe someone like Krisp1 in the UK might be interested in making some of thise? He doesn't currently make them but he does make standard MOTM power cables.
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&p roducts_id=31
krisp14u
JohnLRice wrote:
Maybe someone like Krisp1 in the UK might be interested in making some of thise? He doesn't currently make them but he does make standard MOTM power cables.
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&p roducts_id=31

Send me a PM
I have made a cable for just about every Power to module combination there is
LED-man
Here is a Custom Solution..

30 dotcom conenctors
2 MOTM Connectors
modular connection allows to add more connectors like COTK, curetronics etc.
This Solution was build be me.
Please contact me if you want this or a silimilar Solution.

More Pics here
fyvewytches
LED-man wrote:
Here is a Custom Solution..

30 dotcom conenctors
2 MOTM Connectors
modular connection allows to add more connectors like COTK, curetronics etc.
This Solution was build be me.
Please contact me if you want this or a silimilar Solution.

... and it works perfectly !! (well, no smoke yet hihi )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3