MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I made some power cable format converters tonight
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author I made some power cable format converters tonight
JohnLRice
EDIT December 2018: I changed the title of the thread. It used to be about making DotCom to MOTM cables but there are several different formats discussed now so the title didn't make sense anymore.

Since I'm lazy, I bought one of these DotCom QDH20 power harnesses:
http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html

And I also bought a bunch of these CONN RECEPT 6POS 24AWG MTA156 connectors:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords =A31244-ND

I cut off each DotCom power cable from the harness and put a MTA156 connector on the end. Keep in mind normal sized MOTM power connectors probably wont work well since they are for 18 gauge wire.

Now I can plug my DotCom (and Moon, STG, COTK, etc) modules into my Synth Tech MOTM distro boards.
dude
that solves that problem! nice.
sandyb
good stuff john.
i'm going to sticky this.

sandy
bwhittington
It seems worth pointing out that you can do the same thing working the other way, wiring an MOTM connector to a Dotcom harness to power MOTM modules with a Dotcom power supply. The negative is the nest of wires that is the Dotcom harness. The positive is a more robust amperage and the inclusion of a +5v rail.

Cheers,
Brian
scarymcclary
this shall come in handy.
JohnLRice
Hey, I swear I didn't copy him but check out fantastic Dave Brown's wiring diagram on how to make these cables! applause

http://www.modularsynthesis.com/moonmodular/m569/MOTM-Dotcom%20power%2 0cable.pdf
JohnLRice
I was making a few more of these cables tonight and since my camera was in reach I thought I would make a clear picture of how the MOTM end gets wired:

Luka
thats the dotcom end though isnt it
JohnLRice
Luka wrote:
thats the dotcom end though isnt it

Nope! razz Mr. Green It is a MTA .156 connector that plugs into a MOTM distro board. The cable (and connector at the other end) were cut off of a Synthesizers.com DC Power Harness.

I'm using these cables to power modules, that have DotCom (MTA .100) power headers, from my DIY MOTM style power supplies.
JohnLRice
Made a big batch last night:

I also needed a couple with 4 pin MOTM connectors (for modules that don't use +5v because I was out of 6 pin header positions on the distro!):

And here is one frankenstien adapter so I could connect a COTK module with a 14 pin power connector to a MOTM 4 pin power header!:

Here they are in use:
decaying.sine
Great work John. You always have nice and clean looking DIY builds!
JohnLRice
decaying.sine wrote:
Great work John. You always have nice and clean looking DIY builds!

Thanks Brian. we're not worthy
Entrainer
How to you use the T-Handle to get the wire in?
I ordered everything I needed, thanks to the
great information here.

But now I'm trying to figure it out...

Do you have to cut through the insulation first
before inserting?

Do you press the wires in one at a time?

EDIT:

I got power! Still don't know if I'm using the
insert tool correctly. Modcan's look a lot neater.
I just forced the wire in one at a time and took
a chance powering up. My first "DIY" lol
russma
JohnLRice
Yeah, do one wire at a time. No stripping needed, the connector pins cut through the insulation.

Interesting to note: if you are doing MTA 0.100 (DotCom) connectors, the insersion tool will work orientated both ways, BUT, for MTA 0.156 (MOTM/MODCAN) the insertion tool only works one way! I'll often gently stick the tool in a hole without a wire to make sure I have it right when doing 0.156 connectores.
Entrainer
Cool, thanks Idiotboy and JLR.
rico loverde
hey guys i thought this would probably be the best place to ask. so i need to straighten out my power supply issues. right now I have a sythnesizer.com entry system using the supply it came with (Q137) and a MOTM650 (using the 950 board) running off of it

then I have my DIY stuff, mostly MFOS and Bridechamber stuff and I have 2 MFOS wall wart power supplies running those. Its not the prettiest supply but it is safe and works well.

Ultimately what Id like to do is run my DIY stuff off the synth.com supply since I have a butt load of open power cables left. Whats the best way to go about this. It seems like all the modules in the diy world use those big 4 pin headers, and the synth.com and MOTm are 6

thanx guys, thought id play it safe and ask the experts!!!
sandyb
rico loverde

read this thread smile
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739
rico loverde
thanx sandyb
sonicwarrior
Btw. for the Europeans: AWG24 is like 0.25 mm² wire. But you may want to choose one with a bigger insulation.
0.5 mm² is too big.
frokka
Are these cables for sale?
- and do you have any 4pin to 3pin cables as well?
JohnLRice
frokka wrote:
Are these cables for sale?
- and do you have any 4pin to 3pin cables as well?

Hi frokka and welcome to Muff's! w00t

I've only made these for my own use and don't sell them to other people. If i wasn't so far behind on everything I'd consider making a batch to sell but . . . Dead Banana

Maybe someone like Krisp1 in the UK might be interested in making some of thise? He doesn't currently make them but he does make standard MOTM power cables.
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&p roducts_id=31
krisp14u
JohnLRice wrote:
Maybe someone like Krisp1 in the UK might be interested in making some of thise? He doesn't currently make them but he does make standard MOTM power cables.
http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&p roducts_id=31

Send me a PM
I have made a cable for just about every Power to module combination there is
LED-man
Here is a Custom Solution..

30 dotcom conenctors
2 MOTM Connectors
modular connection allows to add more connectors like COTK, curetronics etc.
This Solution was build be me.
Please contact me if you want this or a silimilar Solution.

More Pics here
fyvewytches
LED-man wrote:
Here is a Custom Solution..

30 dotcom conenctors
2 MOTM Connectors
modular connection allows to add more connectors like COTK, curetronics etc.
This Solution was build be me.
Please contact me if you want this or a silimilar Solution.

... and it works perfectly !! (well, no smoke yet hihi )
EATyourGUITAR
4pin to 6pin. only works with 22awg.
JohnLRice
MTA-100 is designed to be terminated with 28 AWG to 22 AWG wire.
MTA-156 is designed to be terminated with 26 through 18 AWG wire.

So, the cross overs are 26, 24 and 22. thumbs up You have to make sure you get the correct versions of the connectors though! DotCom is 6 pin of course and MOTM is usually 4 pin but sometimes 6 pin.

JohnLRice
I made and tested a cable tonight to connect a COTK C962 sequential switch (purchased recently) that has the standard COTK +-12v connector to +-15v system using a female MTA 0.100 connector. It would be best to plug this into a MTA 0.100 male header on a distro board.

It is possible to connect it to another female connector coming from a dotcom power harness using the little removable 'coupling pins' I made. (I mainly made the pins so I could test the cable) If the 'coupling pins' are to be used long term or especially if the cabinet is to me transported, some method should be employed to make sure the two connectors don't come apart (power supply sorting hazard). Maybe a cable tie, a piece of wire or electrical tape. It is also important to plug them together correctly! (see picture)

JohnLRice
Made some MTA 0.100 6-pin (DotCom) to MTA 0.156 6-pin (MOTM) cables tonight. I've been needing some of these all year, ever since I decided to put a row of MU in my small portable rig!

This time instead of harvesting the cables from a Synthesizers.com harness I bought some SCP Blue 22 GA Gauge AWG 4 Conductor Stranded Copper Alarm cable off of eBay: 50 feet for $11 shipped. thumbs up And I already had the red 22 gauge MTA 0.100 and 0.156 connectors, strain relief caps and shrink tubing so, one more project outa the way . . .

JohnLRice
Here's a simple (no soldering) and inexpensive (approximately $2 worth of parts) solution for those who are using a Synthesizers.com power harness that want to power MOTM and Modcan modules:

A 6 pin MTA-100 in-line male header to a MTA-156 female connector (4 pin for most MOTM, 6 pin for MOTM that needs +5v, 3 pin for Modcan) Actually, anything can be on the end that the module needs.

The key is the in-line male header that the Synthesizers.com power harness connectors can plug into and they lock so there is no worry of them coming disconnected accidentally. The TE Connectivity/AMP part number is 3-647000-6 and while I bought mine from Digikey, I just noticed that Mouser has them significantly cheaper! meh

synthcube
That's awesome!
JohnLRice
synthcube wrote:
That's awesome!
Thanks! You guys should make and sell those along with your cool PCB adapters! thumbs up
tehfizzle
Those are great. Where do I send my money?
JohnLRice
tehfizzle wrote:

Thanks! I guess I should consider making and selling these but I'd have to gauge interest and determine a price etc. Off the top of my head maybe $5 to $6 each plus shipping . . . hmmm.....
tehfizzle
I'd buy a half dozen or so.
bwhittington
Very nice find, John!
megaohm
JohnLRice wrote:

The key is the in-line male header that the Synthesizers.com power harness connectors can plug into and they lock so there is no worry of them coming disconnected accidentally. The TE Connectivity/AMP part number is 3-647000-6 and while I bought mine from Digikey, I just noticed that Mouser has them significantly cheaper! meh

John - you da man!!!
Been looking for this solution but had yet to try these.
Could never convince myself they were what is needed going on the drawing alone.
Beautiful solution.
Especially nice because you used the thickest gauge MTA100 connector (red - 22AWG).

It's motherfucking bacon yo
megaohm
Not sure if everyone already knows this but you can power euro from MTA100 connectors (assuming they are rewired correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Here's an example (although not a great one. Those should be 8 pin MTA100 for this particular euro power header (in the mail, 22AWG, too)).

Euro is a dual inline header. The MTA100 connector ignores one row and the back will slide in perfectly with those unused pins. Those unused pins are connected via pcb traces to the row which the MTA100 connector attaches to.
LoveHertz
JohnLRice wrote:
tehfizzle wrote:

Thanks! I guess I should consider making and selling these but I'd have to gauge interest and determine a price etc. Off the top of my head maybe $5 to $6 each plus shipping . . . hmmm.....

hell i'd buy 6 or more off you at that price sounds reasonable. I tried sourcing part numbers once before and found it a headache since they dont always seem to tally between outlets. down under we have farnell. unless you have a farnell part number i would just as easily prefer to buy some off you john, that is if you are up to it. they look real handy till i find a better way. please get back to me.
JohnLRice
Thanks for the reminder! I'm hesitant to give a price until I figure it out and even then hesitant to take money before I get them made up because, I tend to easily over commit and then procrastinate. d'oh!
LoveHertz
JohnLRice wrote:
Thanks for the reminder! I'm hesitant to give a price until I figure it out and even then hesitant to take money before I get them made up because, I tend to easily over commit and then procrastinate. d'oh!

i can understaand that. The thing is those connectors come with so many pin counts and i need to make sure i get the type with the motm 4pin connector end of the other half and not some totally different one. would those connectors work alone or is the cable neccessary? Even when i typed in that part number you gave showed one with 8pins so my search hasnt been that successful yet.
actually we have element 16 or something I could try.
thanks all the same.
LoveHertz
megaohm wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

John - you da man!!!
Been looking for this solution but had yet to try these.
Could never convince myself they were what is needed going on the drawing alone.
Beautiful solution.
Especially nice because you used the thickest gauge MTA100 connector (red - 22AWG).

It's motherfucking bacon yo

looking at it again i see you still have to chop pin 2 or 5 off for dotcom still, is that right?
i forget which pin but...
JohnLRice
LoveHertz wrote:
looking at it again i see you still have to chop pin 2 or 5 off for dotcom still, is that right?
i forget which pin but...

Pin 2 I believe and you can just pull it out with some needle nosed pliers. thumbs up
jmcecil
man, I've been trying to find that part ... thanks!
LoveHertz
JohnLRice wrote:
Here's a simple (no soldering) and inexpensive (approximately $2 worth of parts) solution for those who are using a Synthesizers.com power harness that want to power MOTM and Modcan modules:

A 6 pin MTA-100 in-line male header to a MTA-156 female connector (4 pin for most MOTM, 6 pin for MOTM that needs +5v, 3 pin for Modcan) Actually, anything can be on the end that the module needs.

ok i been chatting to help at mouser. i thought that orange connector was two pieces,one plugged into the back of the other and they were sold as one part but now i know it isnt. i see in one of those pics of you holding the one you made that you have a red wire showing on the right (dotcom)side but it is not shown connected on the left 4pin motm style mta connector. Is that a 5v supply?
Also john do they come with the white covers or are they not neccessary. They look nice and neat.
jmcecil
If someone could be so kind as to identify the crimp/pushpin tool for that size MTA connector, I would appreciate it. I've bought 2, one too big, one too small.
JohnLRice
LoveHertz wrote:
i see in one of those pics of you holding the one you made that you have a red wire showing on the right (dotcom)side but it is not shown connected on the left 4pin motm style mta connector. Is that a 5v supply?
Also john do they come with the white covers or are they not neccessary. They look nice and neat.

A majority of MOTM modules don't use a +5v rail and use the 4 pin MTA 0.156 connector. For those that do a 6 pin MTA 0.156 connector would have been used. I didn't need to connect the +5v wire on the DotCom side but it doesn't hurt to do so.

The white dust caps aren't really necessary but I like the way they look!
JohnLRice
jmcecil wrote:
If someone could be so kind as to identify the crimp/pushpin tool for that size MTA connector, I would appreciate it. I've bought 2, one too big, one too small.
hmmm..... If you have both sizes, MTA 0.100 and MTA 0.156, you have the correct ones.
jmcecil
JohnLRice wrote:
jmcecil wrote:
hmmm..... If you have both sizes, MTA 0.100 and MTA 0.156, you have the correct ones.

I'll get'em out and check again. I kind of thought I was covering the bases when I got them.

I'm like %98.7 sure that I have the MTA 100 tool. But I sure couldn't get it to fit the the dotcom headers I was using to make the adapters. But, I've learned 120938081298398 since I tried last. Maybe I was just being a dumb-ass.

http://www.newark.com/te-connectivity-amp/59803-1/insertion-tool/dp/98 F2821
JohnLRice
One thing I do every time I make some MTA cables is to put the insertion tool into a connector without a wire, just to get the feel for what I'm doing.

And note that while the MTA 100 tool is symetrical and can be inserted either way, the MTA 156 tool is not and will only go in one way.
jmcecil
Upon further review, I am indeed a dumb-ass.... probably didn't need further review. I had the correct tools, just not a monkey smart enough to use them.
zeta
hello, i'm in expanding modus ..somehow..
i've got a mouser order (1sttime) on pending and thought i "quickly"...(hahaha) add some headers.
now, are these http://it.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=571-3-640426-6 the right ones, for the 4 motm 6 pin headers on this http://www.synthtech.com/images/m995large.jpg distroboard, and please could a kind wiggler point me to the .com headers? (just female) or am i wrong and the mouser # above is for .com headers? hmmm.....
JohnLRice
[quote="zeta"]are these http://it.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=571-3-640426-6 the right ones, for the 4 motm 6 pin headers on this http://www.synthtech.com/images/m995large.jpg distroboard,
Yes, they look correct to me for 6 pin MOTM connectors, especially if you are using 18 gauge wire, which is the MOTM standard for power cables.

zeta wrote:
please could a kind wiggler point me to the .com headers? (just female) or am i wrong and the mouser # above is for .com headers? hmmm.....

The ones you listed above are for MOTM and are MTA-156 connectors. For DotCom you'll want to get MTA-100 connectors. The 156 and 100 refer to the 'pitch' (distance from pin to pin) 156 is 0.156 inches and 100 is 0.100 inches.

For the best connections make sure to use the specified wire gauge for the connector. There are about four different versions for each pitch size and they are color coded.
JohnLRice
I ran out of headers on a distribution board in one of my racks so I added in-line/pass-through connectors to 3 of my custom cables:

TMA-1
JohnLRice wrote:

I'm just going to join the chorus here and say you are a saint! With this I can greatly diversify my system. I really didn't want to buy a second power supply after buying the dotcom system, so this is a godsend.
JohnLRice
TMA-1 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

I'm just going to join the chorus here and say you are a saint! With this I can greatly diversify my system. I really didn't want to buy a second power supply after buying the dotcom system, so this is a godsend.
Glad to be of help! thumbs up
JohnLRice
Sort of on topic . . . I had a few left over ends from a DotCom power harness so I soldered 4 of them together to make a quick and dirty mini harness.

One of my power supplies never got a distro board and just has screw terminals. Trying to attach multiple 24 gauge DotCom power wires has always been tedious and not very robust so this little harness should make things better.

tomorrowstops
Can one of you guys post the exact list of parts and tools necessary to make those neat little Dotcom harness to MOTM cable adapters? I'd like to try and make a couple if its not too difficult/expensive.

Unless there's another source to buy these all made up already?

EDIT: Doh, I also see that Bridechamber has adapter boards for $45. I think I'll just go this route!
analogjeff
I made some of these too.. and I put motm connectors on some , all in the same harnass.
JohnLRice
megaohm wrote:
Not sure if everyone already knows this but you can power euro from MTA100 connectors (assuming they are rewired correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Thanks again for this tip, Phil!! we're not worthy applause I used it to allow a slightly oversized eurorack module to fit into my case! See this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1872930#1872930
dan_e10
JohnLRice wrote:
I was making a few more of these cables tonight and since my camera was in reach I thought I would make a clear picture of how the MOTM end gets wired:

Wonderful thread, thanks for all this info John. Here's a perhaps dumb question. Apologies if it's already been answered in the thread. Is this MTA156 connector also the same format as the ones used to plug into the MOTM modules themselves? I don't have an MOTM distribution board, but I will soon have about 4-5 MOTM modules that I'll use in a dotcom system. I was planning to just cannibalize some of the ends of my QDH40 harness. One of the modules, the MOTM 650 needs the 5V line. If these connectors work to directly connect to modules (w/out distribution board), are the pin assignments the same as shown for making a connector to plug into the distro board?

thanks,
Dan
JohnLRice
dan_e10 wrote:
Is this MTA156 connector also the same format as the ones used to plug into the MOTM modules themselves?
Yes! thumbs up Most MOTM modules use the 4 pin version of course but you'll need the 6 pin version for the MOTM-650 and MOTM-730 modules.

dan_e10 wrote:
I don't have an MOTM distribution board, but I will soon have about 4-5 MOTM modules that I'll use in a dotcom system. I was planning to just cannibalize some of the ends of my QDH40 harness.
Just to be clear, the QDH40 harness and DotCom modules use the smaller MTA100 connectors. So, for your MOTM modules just buy some MTA156 connectors, pull the MTA100 connectors off some of the harness cables and attach the MTA156 connectors.
dan_e10
Great, thanks John! Does the 6 pin MTA connector work with the modules that don't need 5V as well, or do I actually need the 4 pin connector for those?
Dan
JohnLRice
dan_e10 wrote:
Great, thanks John! Does the 6 pin MTA connector work with the modules that don't need 5V as well, or do I actually need the 4 pin connector for those?
Dan
You can use the 6 pin connector on 4 pin headers so long as there isn't some component in the way on the left side where it over hangs.

The bad part about using the wrong size is that there is a danger of accidentally plugging it in wrong and doing some damage so, be careful!
dan_e10
JohnLRice wrote:
You can use the 6 pin connector on 4 pin headers so long as there isn't some component in the way on the left side where it over hangs.

That's what I was wondering. So it sounds like for some modules it might work and for others it won't.
JohnLRice wrote:
The bad part about using the wrong size is that there is a danger of accidentally plugging it in wrong and doing some damage so, be careful!

Yeah, that wouldn't be worth the risk. I'll check out the modules once I get them to see which actually need 6pin connectors. I think the 650 is probably the only one I am getting which would need a 6pin connector. Thanks John.
Dan
Sugarfree
a stupid question, but which side do you insert a keying plug to an MTA connector? By pushing in on the front or by punching down on the back?
JohnLRice
Sugarfree wrote:
a stupid question, but which side do you insert a keying plug to an MTA connector? By pushing in on the front or by punching down on the back?
For the most satisfactory results the plug is pushed into the bottom hole . . . eek! Miley Cyrus Basically it goes in the same way that a pin from a mating connector does.

Here's a pic next to a penny:

Here's a pic with it poked in half way:
Sugarfree
thanks for clarifying this. Couldn't find anything in technical docs.

BTW, I really like MTA connector strain relief covers more than regular dust covers. The strain relief supports cables from the other side, preventing them from being pulled off. A really solid connection!
JohnLRice
Sugarfree wrote:
thanks for clarifying this. Couldn't find anything in technical docs.

BTW, I really like MTA connector strain relief covers more than regular dust covers. The strain relief supports cables from the other side, preventing them from being pulled off. A really solid connection!
You are welcome and yeah, might as well spend a few pennies more and get the strain relief covers.

Also, the keying plugs shouldn't be necessary if you buy the polarized MTA connectors? The two little nibs on either side help ensure correct orientation.

JohnLRice
OK, here's a weird one: COTK +-12v module connector to Mos-Lab power bus connector. And it's made out of a eurorack power cable. eek! hihi

I'll report back if it was a big fail or not . . .

EDIT: FAILED! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it Please stand by . . .

OK, the one below is correct!

CXIV
AGHHH so needed this!!
JohnLRice
DotCom 6 pin to Marienberg 3 pin:

Marienberg 3 pin to MOTM 4 pin:
JohnLRice
Quote:
JohnLRice wrote:
And here is one frankenstien adapter so I could connect a COTK module with a 14 pin power connector to a MOTM 4 pin power header!:

megaohm wrote:

Here's an example (although not a great one. Those should be 8 pin MTA100 for this particular euro power header (in the mail, 22AWG, too)).

Euro is a dual inline header. The MTA100 connector ignores one row and the back will slide in perfectly with those unused pins. Those unused pins are connected via pcb traces to the row which the MTA100 connector attaches to.

Here's a bit of an update on using MTA-100 connectors in IDC headers. Something I've been meaning to try for a very long time is to order various sizes of MTA connectors to find ones that fit perfectly horizontally so there is no chance of accidentally offsetting the connection. It turns out you just need to use MTA connectors that are 2 pins wider than the IDC connector is, so if you need to plug into a 16 pin IDC header (which is two rows of 8 pins) get a 10 pin MTA-100 connector. Of course it's possible to insert the connector flipped 180 degrees so it would be good to be consistent on how it's wired. I think having the side the cable exits on be on the same side as the header's polarizing notch is the way I'm going to do it.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 3