MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help me spec out a video system to go with an audio system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Help me spec out a video system to go with an audio system
JES
I'm new to video synthesis, and really want something that will be useful to video artists as well as for me to mess around with. This is for a multimedia space we are building at a university.

What I think I want to be able to do:

modulate and mess with images that come from the internet.
generate and synthesize video
interface with audio eurorack

So what I think I want:

LZX visual cortex
Prismatic Ray
a couple of passages

I'm kind of assuming all the usual Euro gestural controllers and sequencers can be used to control video modules as well, but if there are control translation issues, I'd like to know.

Also what is the video equivalent of "you can never have enough VCAs"? Are there special modulation issues for video that we need to account for?

Thanks and apologies for my n00bness. We are trying to spec things out for a grant application, so the actual purchase is a year away -- so the most important things are capabilitites that will be interesting to video artists.
nickciontea
First off. VCAs are still powerful. But the "you can never have enough VCAs" can be crossed over to any kind of mixing. VCA, Crossfades, and submixers.

I feel any amount of complex mixing is where the gold comes from. Hence my development of the Hexadirectional Fader.

As for your system. I think you only really need one passage with only a cortex and one prismatic ray.

But i'd take this chance to point you down a different path perhaps.

Cortex and Prismatic ray definitely.
after that you are going to want a TBC for better handling of external signals, and more ease of involving full color signals. Alongside the TBC you will likely want a scan converter to take a VGA signal from a computer and turn it into RGB. Extron has some devices that go cheap on Ebay. its not a perfect setup but it gets full color in realtime from a computer to the LZX easy. This is what I setup for SAIC in chicago.

after this. synthesizing video will be very vanilla with one prismatic ray and cortex. You will end up wanting many more modulation/oscillation sources(not sure whats in the existing audio rig). If you do have a lot of audio rig around you will just need something to scale those signals down. Same goes for the sequencer style controls. you will want to attenuate down to 0-1V.

just a bit of info to maybe get you thinking.
goldenliustra
nickciontea, wanted to ask you about extron gear – are you talking about smthng like this? Or rather more advanced device like VSC500 – would it be better companion for Cortex?
spacenoodle
nickciontea wrote:
after that you are going to want a TBC for better handling of external signals, and more ease of involving full color signals.

Could you please explain what TBC does especially well that something like this could not?

http://www.ambery.com/costorgrgbco.html

I picked one of these up recently and it seems to do the trick for the most part. Sure is cheaper!
TERRORVISION
spacenoodle wrote:
nickciontea wrote:
after that you are going to want a TBC for better handling of external signals, and more ease of involving full color signals.

Could you please explain what TBC does especially well that something like this could not?

http://www.ambery.com/costorgrgbco.html

I picked one of these up recently and it seems to do the trick for the most part. Sure is cheaper!

The unit you referenced will convert an external composite video signal to component video for use with the Input Decoder section on the VISUAL CORTEX(which has its own Time Base Corrector). From there, you'd have a single full color feed to manipulate within your system.
COLOR TBC module accepts a composite video signal directly, applies your system sync timing to that feed and separates it into RGB color channels much the same way as the Input Decoder on VC.
This obviously becomes incredibly useful if you wanted to mix 2 or more full color external video feeds within your LZX system.
nerdware
Unfortunately, the TBC module is currently unavailable. I really hope it returns soon, as I could use one myself.

Meanwhile, using only modules currently in production, you could add a second Visual Cortex. This would give you second output encoder as well as a second input decoder. However, you'd need an external TBC to sync the frames. The Extron unit goldenliustra linked to above would be ideal for this. Connect the composite output from the first VC to the genlock input on the Extron, then take the RGB signals from the Extron to the input decoder on the second VC. Now everything should be in sync. VC #2 syncing to the Extron, and the Extron syncing to VC #1.
TERRORVISION
nerdware wrote:
Unfortunately, the TBC module is currently unavailable. I really hope it returns soon, as I could use one myself.

TBC IS AVAILABLE!!!
nerdware
Quick! Grab one while stocks last!
JES
Thank you! One other question: what's the best way to get video from a computer into a video synthesis system, for instance, if someone's working with found internet videos as a source?
mr_coops
more than likely you'll need a scan convertor. you can get them for either composite or component video. Some laptops/pc's do sometimes have these outputs.
component gives you colour control whereas composite will just give you luma (Monochromatic). A Visual Cortex will take either of these sources I believe.
nerdware
I use a TV-One downscaler with DVI-D in and composite, S-Video and component out. I found it on ebay, still boxed, but reduced to a fraction of the original price. I can feed the latter into the VC. A few days ago I bought a Kramer VGA downscaler, also unused and reduced.

However, beware of some of the new, cheaper devices. I've tried a bunch of HDMI to componment converters that the VC couldn't sync to. Other gear had no trouble, e.g. my video monitor. This was for the HDMI output from the Rasperry Pi, as the composite output is "out of spec", as Lars put it. Maybe the HDMI converters in my "box of shame" have the same problem. So I recommend used/reduced pro gear off ebay. You'll likely get some pro features, too, like under and over scanning controls.
mr_coops
nerdware wrote:
"box of shame" .
not this shit again Gld I'm not the only one.
nerdware
mr_coops wrote:
nerdware wrote:
"box of shame" .
not this shit again Gld I'm not the only one.

Pokeout
cskonopka
I got one of these HDMI-to-composite boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp  /B015H76TRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469045938&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=h dmi+to+composite&psc=1

Oddly worked better than expected. I've tested it with a laptop (various macs), kangaroo box or raspberry pi into a TBC. I've experienced scrolling when I plug directly into my VSG. The TBC module is requirement for every new system imo. Everyone eventually will run into weird things like this and you will save time on the other end by getting it at the start. What do I know though, I'm an alien. Do you have a modulargrid of your system yet? Curious! nanners nanners nanners nanners
Dirty_Bill
If you have a year, I'd recommend going all the way back and reading every thread of interest here on the Video Sub-forum. There is a LOT of info and you'll be well along the path to understanding.

Getting a TBC will ensure you can get stable video in from almost any source with a composite/SVideo output.

I did a basic patch using the Cortex, Sensory Translator, 1x Prismatic Ray, 1X BSO Mixer, (used as an attenuator for the camera feedback signal, as Nick said, mixers are VERY Useful). Doepfer Quadrature LFO, Maths, Wogglebug, and a cheap genlockable security camera (sync from the Cortex second Composite out) doing feedback.

I made the following performance video (there's lots of knob tweaking, you can hear some switches being thrown, adding in crossfaders or VCAs would make this patch a lot more interactive. And it was fun!

EDIT I put the video in the doodles thread. Psychedeliceyes

Probably Should Have an Epilepsy Warning, And it's a little long, and music is Apollo 440s 'Altamonte Super Highway Revisted'
michel07
Hello,
I post here my question because I can't create a new topic.
I would like to start to build a simple video modular rack. The only thing I really need now is a system to mix 2 cameras with negative effect and also feedback possibilities, with CV control of mix & negative pot. I only play in Black&White. So, do I need sync generator for each camera? What are the options to play with negative effect? I guess the Video Blending Matrix would be a good option if available. Thanks for your advices...
nerdware
EDIT: Ahh, I see you succeeded. d'oh! Nevermind. Welcome to Muffs! Please see my reply in your thread.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1