MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

shitty synths that you love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author shitty synths that you love
prae
i really like the yamaha RM1X... it sounds like a turnip filtered through a can of coke but maaaan that sequencer is so great. built like a tank too.

what about u?
poladark
The Evolution EVS-1. The build quality is horrible, mine crashes constantly and the sound quality isn't terribly good. The user interface isn't very friendly either and you need a computer to program patches, but oh, the weirdness of it... it's like a modular fm synthesizer.
mousegarden
The Davolisint, amazing thing, such a rich aggressive sound. Don't know what's wrong with this one, but it's awesome....

prae
mousegarden wrote:
The Davolisint, amazing thing, such a rich aggressive sound. Don't know what's wrong with this one, but it's awesome....

what the heck is that? maybe those sonics are an acquired taste wink
ri0h
The Yamaha PSS390, the best little FM keyboard. No MIDI, just an input for the power supply and a jack for headphones / line out.

Stereo effects on some of the patchs, etc... Plus the little sliders with 8 steps each to modify the sound, you can do all of those classic FM sounds easily (well not the electric piano and other complicated ones) by modifying one of the existing patch. And it's dirt cheap!
mousegarden
prae wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

what the heck is that? maybe those sonics are an acquired taste wink

I thought it was beautiful, I can remember these synth's well, especially the pitch bend lever !
sizone
prae wrote:
i really like the yamaha RM1X... it sounds like a turnip filtered through a can of coke but maaaan that sequencer is so great. built like a tank too.

what about u?

Look who never found the laugh sample. Bury that somewhere in all your tracks and tell me the sound engine sucks. I dare you.

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/swimming-upstream
kirklandish
Meeblip SE - all around super lo-fi VA

SlayerBadger!
noobyscooby
Casio Rapman. Don't hate and buy one for cheap. Got mine for $5 and robust enough for the kids to slap around.

Lots of great late 80s/early 90s rhythms and sounds on it.
iamnothuman
My first synth and first love: the Korg EA-1. That's the blue/original version. I agree it's sound comes out as if it was trapped inside a tin can. Doesn't mean it can't do respectable "phat" digital basses tho', but what I love about it is that it's tons of fun and surprisingly versatile for a groovebox. I still have it, alas, in very poor condition (open it once and it will NEVER feel the same... very cheap build).
spacenoodle
I love the Syntorchestra I bought here at Muffwiggler a couple of years ago. Even its sine wave is sublime. So much personality in this old thing.

MindMachine
Casio MT-140. Great percussion sounds. PCM piano and... a few other weird voices that you could combine. Good bells too... for $49.00. thumbs up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhxPHlK9BhM
drowld
Three noice synths that i won't ever sell are the yamaha vss-30 - the kawai k1m and yamaha tg33.
Crazy team and a lot of sonic possibilities for the price applause
digitalganesha
spacenoodle wrote:
I love the Syntorchestra I bought here at Muffwiggler a couple of years ago. Even its sine wave is sublime. So much personality in this old thing.

I could never identify this synth as "shitty." I've always wanted one of these. If you ever get sick of it.... hit me up!!! love
chvad
I'm gonna say: Akai Timbre Wolf. The hate for these things is hilariously over the top. I bought one and love the hell out of it. It's sitting next to a Prophet 6, a Sub 37 and a Lead 4 and I know next to those it's just a stain of synthesis but there's something about the tone.. or lack thereof, that I absolutely love.
Bunk
digitalganesha wrote:
spacenoodle wrote:

I could never identify this synth as "shitty." I've always wanted one of these. If you ever get sick of it.... hit me up!!! love

I agree! A rare and beautiful instrument!
Bunk
digitalganesha wrote:
spacenoodle wrote:

I agree! A rare and beautiful instrument!
prae
drowld wrote:
Three noice synths that i won't ever sell are the yamaha vss-30 - the kawai k1m and yamaha tg33.

i have a TG33 but haven't had the time to use it yet. any tips/resources on it's use?
beatcleaver
Casio SK5. Awful and brilliant all at once.
sizone
prae wrote:
drowld wrote:

i have a TG33 but haven't had the time to use it yet. any tips/resources on it's use?

It's been a while since I've messed with one. From what I can remember, -very- few of the waveforms are well suited to vector synthesis. So you pick the few that are, set them up in a patch and play with the joystick. Like, morphing one synthy sound into another always seemed really underwhelming, but going from cheesy bird sample to cheesy drum sample was always kinda fun.
soundinett
prae wrote:
drowld wrote:

Love the TG 33. Just play around with this little beast. It sounds incredible...

[s][soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/223655878" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /][/s]

The brass ist TG33
donato
Wow. I had never heard of the Davolisint nor the Syntorchestra. Those are both super trippy and awesome!
Bunk
donato wrote:
Wow. I had never heard of the Davolisint nor the Syntorchestra. Those are both super trippy and awesome!

The Syntorchestra was one of a family of instruments called "Ensemble Keyboards", "Multi instruments" etc. The first was the Crumar Mutiman and they were manufactured primarily in Italy through the 70's and into the 80's. There were other manufacturers in on the party too like ARP with the Solina (actually built/sold under licence from Dutch organ company Eminent who distilled it from their Unique which JMJ made famous) and Omni but the majority were Italian.

They usually (always?) feature and analogue string ensemble plus various other instruments such as brass, piano etc. They're very similar to home organs of the period technically with some instruments such as the Syntorchestra being built into Farfisa's top of the line organs. The cynic might think it was a marketing ploy but in reality they gave polyphony to the masses who couldn't afford as Korg PS.
Bunk
As you can tell I'm a fan! I've got a few that overlap into my String Machine collection Mr. Green

Farfisa probably took the concept to its logical conclusion with the Polychrome. I'd love one of those! I think they came out in maybe 82? As did Crumar's Hexaphonic (if thats a real decription; it had six voice cards that were fixed to the same pairs of notes across the keyboard in an attempt at six voice articulation without using a Micro) Trilogy and preset & organ less Stratus. The Korg PolySix and the Juno's did for that particular branch of technology but there were some really interesting and novel instruments along the way!
Sburkart
M-Audio Venom: not enough knobs for most people and the keybed sucks but the sound makes it a keeper.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5