MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone excited about FSFX Low Pass Gate - coming soon?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Anyone excited about FSFX Low Pass Gate - coming soon?
Mirolab
So as of a couple months ago, I didn't even know what a Low Pass Gate was. After hearing it in action on a couple youtube videos, now I've just GOT to have one. It's simply got THAT sound that recognized immediately, and now I've got to have it. I've got 4 filters now, but none sounds like an LPG.

I nearly purchase one.... and then I found out that FSFX is developing an Uber-LPG.......... any recommendations out there for an MU LPG? Most likely i'll just wait for the FSFX one, but looking for more LPG info anyway.
coyoteous
I am now... thanks!
defutura
Couple of months back, I asked FSFX if he could build a DJ Thomas White LPG for me (he's been making them with his own 1MU panel). He could, but he also told me he's working on a design of his own.

Mirolab wrote:
... any recommendations out there for an MU LPG?.

Maybe the DJ Thomas White LPG, then?
Jsharpphoto
I'm not excited about it.

Because I just bought the DJTW Triple Lopass Gate from Synthcube about 2 weeks ago. Then FSFX announces theirs is coming, for less money. Theirs is a quad with no mixer, the Synthcube is a triple with a mixer.

I will relocate my triple to my portable skiff, and get the free state for my studio cabinet.
coyoteous
MU skiff? Do tell.

Vactrol filters vary all over the place and even within some multi-units... it's a pretty good chance the FSFX will sound different than the DJTW, etc. (one reason I've still never got one)... almost went for Wiard in frac years back, but couldn't decide between the boogie and borg (I know those aren't straight up Buchla low pass gates, but the notion translates).

Still interested, though (on the other hand, that's about the only call of a euro system for me: Sputnik... seems way less expensive than they were in MU, at least based on the used prices).
bphenix
I have a FSFX DJTW and a MegaOhm CdS VCF/A and if I had to pick, the MegaOhm CdS wins, hands down. A wider range of sounds, better range, and some nifty extra features.

Phil mentioned last year he was working on an updated version that won't be as deep so I'd check in with him.
josaka
bphenix wrote:
I have a FSFX DJTW and a MegaOhm CdS VCF/A and if I had to pick, the MegaOhm CdS wins, hands down. A wider range of sounds, better range, and some nifty extra features.

Phil mentioned last year he was working on an updated version that won't be as deep so I'd check in with him.

his new low pass gate is not even out of the pcb completion phase yet..
"Getting ready to prep the art for PCB etching." 16th july.
KoryB
Great news!
NikatNOISEBUG
reality has set in... so i am now!
freestatefx
Just finished the first batch yesterday. Couldn't be more excited to see/hear them in your racks. Thanks to months of design and some much needed help from our friends we finally got everything right and sounding incredible.

Our Lopass Gates are a custom design, but obviously primarily based on the original Buchla schematic. Phil from Megaohm was kind enough to let us use his Resonance modification, then we added some asymmetrical clipping diodes (got the idea from Stites Mutant Vactrol Filter, although he uses a different implementation) to keep the signal levels in check and generally smooth things out. We use an attenuverter for CV control. No audio input level control and as we found input levels do not change the character of the filter/amp.

Audio and video demos in the next few days.

Here is an instagram pic...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIwLmqlhy7n/?taken-by=freestatefx
coyoteous
Want!
freestatefx
Here is the first batch of sound demos

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/248900925" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

There are five different clips demonstrating the different modes of operation.

Modules are currently available at the freestatefx website.

http://freestatefx.com/collections/free-state-fx-modules/products/fsfx 103

Price is $220 plus shipping. Limited stock.

Working on the video demo next. Stay tuned.
dykesh
Just purchased to replace a QMMG. Can't wait...
drob842
Drunken Homer Simpson Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again

I'm going to end up paying for an addition to Jason's house if I keep buying all these FSFX modules. I'm really trying to be disciplined here.
freestatefx
David don't give my wife any ideas.

Here is the video demo I promised. Pleased with the audio. Going to have to work on cool logo fade-ins and what not, but at least this is a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78srXS9DsgI
drob842
So good. I can't do it right now, but I hope to order one before the end of the calendar year.
Mirolab
Well.... it looks like FSFX gave up on the uber-2U version of an LPG, and made an affordable 1U version instead. I was already mentally anticipating getting one, so I just ordered it from Noisebug. Nik there says it's nicely aggressive sounding..... I've never played with an LPG before, so I'll have some fun with it this weekend.
dykesh
Got mine super fast shipping and service. Very well made. Sounds awesome. Thanks Fsfx.
gregae
Mirolab wrote:
Well.... it looks like FSFX gave up on the uber-2U version of an LPG, and made an affordable 1U version instead. I was already mentally anticipating getting one, so I just ordered it from Noisebug. Nik there says it's nicely aggressive sounding..... I've never played with an LPG before, so I'll have some fun with it this weekend.

Great minds think alike! I just ordered an LPG from Noisebug after learning that Free State was sold out. Should be here before the weekend... Rockin' Banana!

EDIT - It showed up today (Friday)! Time for some wiggling! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Mirolab
Got to spend a couple hours with mine last weekend, and happily discovering that it sounds nothing like the 4 other filters in my rack. Being a newbie to using an LPG, I'm loving the weird resonant behavior.... Really wishing that resonance was VC'able though. This may be my Go-to filter for basses now!... until the next shiny knob that comes along.

I've still not tried pinging it for perc sounds yet...........
coyoteous
I've waited this long, but should have a secondhand one on the way... pretty excited, especially since this will be my first LPG!

I kind of promised myself that I'd stay away from Buchla-type modules in 5U (Serge, EMS, etc., too), and if I went that way, it would probably be in the original formats or Euro... well, that dam cracked with a lovely Krisp1/Oakley versatile ramp generator (Sergey, right?) in MU last year and now this.

So far, I'm keeping the Euro and standalone stuff at bay (other than a Roland A-01K for $150) and sticking to used 5U, vintage and a few Wiard and Blacet frac modules.

Back to this module... in stock at noisebug, but not FSFX last I looked.

I'll report back after testing.
coyoteous
Interestingly, mine turns out to be not one of the new ones, but using a single djthomaswhite LPG card... I guess this is what FSFX did before the new one.

It's OK, I've thought about getting a multiple DJTW on and off for along time... not installed/tested here yet, but I think I'm gonna dig it!
Jari Jokinen
I wonder how this compares to the Megaohm Cds VCF/A.
Cds VCF/A

Especially, how much bleed there is in the Both mode. Compared to Megaohm in its "LP1" mode?

Not much info available. Someone said FSFX is aggressive. Someone else said Megaohm tends to be either on or off (meaning jumpy and hard to control?)
ba1
Jari Jokinen wrote:
I wonder how this compares to the Megaohm Cds VCF/A.
Cds VCF/A

Especially, how much bleed there is in the Both mode. Compared to Megaohm in its "LP1" mode?

Not much info available. Someone said FSFX is aggressive. Someone else said Megaohm tends to be either on or off (meaning jumpy and hard to control?)

I have both the MegOhm CdS and FSFX LPG.

The FSFX one sounds great. The resonance gets plenty harsh but but stays very musical and dials in evenly. There's a little bit of Bleed, but only at certain settings and it's never enough to bother me. I don't even notice it unless I'm trying to listen for it.

The CdS Sounds amazing! Almost no bleed. Hands down the best sounding LPG in MU or euro that I've tried! The resonance does dial in pretty abruptly. Depending on the position of the offset, it can be musical or blow your ears out. It takes some getting familiar. I've had no trouble controlling it via cv. It responds perfectly to my Corsynth C106 and turns into total rubber with my DUSG. Unfortunately I don't think Phil's making them any more. (If anyone wants to sell one, please pm me right away!)

I just picked up a RYO Aperture. If you're handy enough to port one over from euro, it would be another great option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKste53IQU
Jari Jokinen
Thank you ba1

I just noticed this from the Megaohm Cds manual: "PCB bracket extends 5” behind panel". Ouch! I guess I will get the FSFX then.

DIY is not for me, but what I really "need" is the Rabid Elephant Natural Gate converted to MU.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2