MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland 521 Dual VCF and Roland 512 Dual VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Roland 521 Dual VCF and Roland 512 Dual VCO
BasariStudios
Are these 2 any good? What synth do they resemble the most?
Why would someone have them and why not?

Thanks
chrisso
'Any good' is subjective.
I think they are designed to resemble the Roland 100M.
I had a 100M system and it was superb, with great sounding oscillators and filter.
Why would you have them?
Because you have a use for the classic Roland sound, and you like the fact a larger synth company backs the modules with initial build quality, global service and warranty.
Why not?
If you don't really care about the classic Roland sound, or you think they are expensive, or you think they are too big (hp).
trickness
The journey to 100 posts is long and hard, isn't it?
dmuirw
They sound just like the originals
BasariStudios
trickness wrote:

I shouldn't really comment on you and just ignore it, i might be a noob here
but not in the industry and other forums. 1 post or 100 post make no difference to me.
You are WRONG! The journey to building a Modular is hard not to 100 posts.
Can you please explain why 100 posts would be relevant and of advantage to me?
Because on most forums i have over 6-7000 posts and my life is the same...Thanks.
...it looks like your journey was hard too, 416 posts in few months.

Dmuirw thank You.

Chrisso, of course you are right. My Case and 5 Modules came today finally.
I got the DPO and MATHS as the big modules right now...my first goal is
to have a chain of MOOF or ROLAND sound ala AJH or S-500, that is the
reason i asked. I was thinking i am better of getting one of those 2 line ups
like they have the complete set of Signal Paths...and the funny thing is yes
i do care about the Roland sounds...its just AJH and MINIMOD that confuses me, lol.
BasariStudios
...quoted my self by mistake, don't know how to delete posts...
Bigsteak
BasariStudios wrote:
trickness wrote:

I shouldn't really comment on you and just ignore it, i might be a noob here
but not in the industry and other forums. 1 post or 100 post make no difference to me.
You are WRONG! The journey to building a Modular is hard not to 100 posts.
Can you please explain why 100 posts would be relevant and of advantage to me?
Because on most forums i have over 6-7000 posts and my life is the same...Thanks.
...it looks like your journey was hard too, 416 posts in few months.

Dmuirw thank You.

Chrisso, of course you are right. My Case and 5 Modules came today finally.
I got the DPO and MATHS as the big modules right now...my first goal is
to have a chain of MOOF or ROLAND sound ala AJH or S-500, that is the
reason i asked. I was thinking i am better of getting one of those 2 line ups
like they have the complete set of Signal Paths...and the funny thing is yes
i do care about the Roland sounds...its just AJH and MINIMOD that confuses me, lol.

It was just a joke. You need 100 posts to be able to sell on the buy/sell/trade forum.

...as you can see I'm building towards my first 100 too... thumbs up
BasariStudios
Bigsteak wrote:
It was just a joke. You need 100 posts to be able to sell on the buy/sell/trade forum.

...as you can see I'm building towards my first 100 too... thumbs up

Lol...i never knew anything about that...actually that is the least important
thing to me right now, i don't have anything to sell on here...lol.
I am in the BUYING phase now...but i am also a very active person on forums,
regardless of buy or sell...by year one i usually have over 1000 posts.
Purveyor2
trickness wrote:

Yes it is
chrisso
At some point I'll be buying the Roland 500 series modules as I used to love my 100M system. I sold it when I moved and needed to lighten the load.
I've heard good things about AJH, but haven't tried any in person yet.
yeskeys
FWIW, the 100 post threshold is highly over-rated. You don't need it to BUY. And honestly, I've had much better luck with Reverb, Ebay and Facebook groups, both buying and selling.
BasariStudios
chrisso wrote:
At some point I'll be buying the Roland 500 series modules as I used to love my 100M system. I sold it when I moved and needed to lighten the load.

Thanks. The AJH MiniMod Series and the Roland S-500 Series are really
attracting me like hell, one of those 2, i wanna buy all the Modules of one
of those and it's really a hard choice. At the end of the day there won't
be really much of a difference except in the Filters but still.
jicamasalad
BasariStudios wrote:
chrisso wrote:

Thanks. The AJH MiniMod Series and the Roland S-500 Series are really
attracting me like hell, one of those 2, i wanna buy all the Modules of one
of those and it's really a hard choice. At the end of the day there won't
be really much of a difference except in the Filters but still.

The System 500 modules are fantastic, IMHO. I bought one of each back in December, and have since sold the Delay/Phaser (I was not personally a fan of the sound and the clock noise was not something I could work with in my music, which is quiet and detailed). The other modules I use extensively with great results.

I can't personally speak to the AJH modules, since I haven't heard them, but I can say that if and when Roland/Malekko releases version of the 110/510 (VCO/VCF/VCA) I will be first in line to purchase a few of them. I'm very happy with the sound of the System 500.

Good luck with your decision-making - t's the most difficult aspect of Euro-crack!
Nightly Closures
I have all of the system 500 modules and they sound awesome. The delay/phaser is subtle. However, it does add some color to a dry signal.
ianross
this thread sucks.

That's my positive constructive contribution today. thank you
chysn
It's kind of an attractive package, two oscillators in 16HP like that. The thing that gives me pause is that linear FM is missing, and that's something you're usually going to get in a pair of oscillators at this price.
BasariStudios
Well i ended up with the whole AJH MM Line but i will most likely be getting the Roland too.
falseeye
I have both the filter and the oscillator . i like them but they are kinda bread and butter style compared to a lot of euro stuff that tries to get more wild and wacked out . Ive never had a roland modular system but , to me they sound kinda like the sh 101 or the tb 303 , maybe a little more sophisticated and high end tho
Fiddlestickz
The filter module while sounding pretty good, generally in use/ergonomically it is a pain the ass, once you have a cable patched into the output, tweaking the resonance and cut knobs is almost impossible..
risome
I recently sold my Braids module and bought the 512 VCO .It is most excellent.True Roland modular sound which is what i am after.It is not better or worse than Braids it suits my musical style better Miley Cyrus
xclark
I bought these two modules because I was experiencing a strong Roland fetish for a while. Pretty quickly, I realized that the sound produced by these two modules was simply too similar to the tones I generally coax out of my SH101 and Juno 60 so I sold the VCO.

They're great modules that really do sound very Roland to me.
dmuirw
Hey thanks for the props about posting to reach 100. I wish certain Wigglers would go fly a kite instead of wasting a comment on how to reach 100. Does it really matter if someone posts a quick "great module" for examples to get 1 post? Big wooptydo
Theres no rule that says how descriptive you need to be.

Please leave the new Wigglers alone. I think we all have a desire to be loved and get a big teddy bear hug on this site.

Pleeeease stop!!!

As far as these Roland modules, they are dope. What a dream to be able to rock it with these classic modules. They seriously are amazing!!
Roy72
Fiddlestickz wrote:
The filter module while sounding pretty good, generally in use/ergonomically it is a pain the ass, once you have a cable patched into the output, tweaking the resonance and cut knobs is almost impossible..

The orange doepfer cables with one right angled end jack are good for this.
BasariStudios
dmuirw wrote:
Hey thanks for the props about posting to reach 100. I wish certain Wigglers would go fly a kite instead of wasting a comment on how to reach 100. Does it really matter if someone posts a quick "great module" for examples to get 1 post? Big wooptydo
Theres no rule that says how descriptive you need to be.

Please leave the new Wigglers alone. I think we all have a desire to be loved and get a big teddy bear hug on this site.

Pleeeease stop!!!

As far as these Roland modules, they are dope. What a dream to be able to rock it with these classic modules. They seriously are amazing!!

Thanks for support, i am an OLD Wiggler...It does not go by how many posts,
there is Wigglers with 20 000 Posts but some of them can not even Comprehend
what some of the 56 Posts Wigglers or i do or can do...i can take many of them
for Breakfast in Sound Designing and other things. It is usually the Kids who
get excited about this stuff. A real Wiggler will never come here and start
talking about posts and other things. I already ,,WIGGLER'' for over 20 years.

Anyways, this is how i Wiggle...0 to 60 in 2 weeks. Next one is coming up:

Paholaisrastas
I would appreciate a good video demonstration of the VCO FM the other. With short and longer bursts. Can't find good video demos of it. :( Hesitant to get one blindly.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2